Was jet fuel dumped at low altitude?

jenny@nw

Veteran
Feb 20, 2006
pacific nw
Was jet fuel dumped at low altitude?By Lisa Roose-Church
DAILY PRESS & ARGUS

Two Livingston County men who saw a Northwest Airlines jet dump fuel over Livingston County late Wednesday afternoon were questioning the next day whether some of the 200,000 pounds of fuel actually hit county ground.
However, Elizabeth Cory, a spokeswoman with the Federal Aviation Administration, said the FAA's radar showed Northwest's Flight 11 was flying at 7,000 feet — well above the required 6,000 feet mark to safely dump fuel.

"At 7,000 feet, I could not pick out things like landing gear or the color of the tail," said Hamburg Township resident Bill Wheeler, who said the plane was much closer to the ground.

Wheeler said he was at Country Elementary School on M-36 in Hamburg Township when he saw the jet flying over. He estimated it was flying at 1,000-2,000 feet.
"I thought, 'Oh my goodness,'" Wheeler said. "He was heading west then he turned southwest and powered up into the sky a little more."

Greg McLaughlin, of Hartland Township, also estimated the jet had to be flying lower, although he would not guess at what altitude. He said he noticed it when he was at Euler Road and Grand River Avenue in Genoa Township.

"I find it hard to believe he was at 7,000 feet," he said. "From my visual, he was below the clouds. ... It looked a lot lower.

"I could see he was dumping and dumping and dumping," McLaughlin added.

At first, McLaughlin said, he was surprised to see a Boeing 747 flying low over the county. Then the jet made a sudden U-turn and he noticed something odd about its vapor stream.

"It was not a typical vapor stream," McLaughlin said. "I lived near Detroit Metro airport for 30 years and I've observed airplanes. I've never seen one with such a vapor stream."

Dean Breest, a spokesman with Northwest Airlines, said its Flight 11 flying from Detroit to Tokyo experienced difficulty retracting one of its five landing gears after take-off and had to return to the airport. Because it did not have time to burn off any of the fuel, it was too heavy, so the jet dumped almost 200,000 pounds of fuel over Washtenaw and Livingston counties.

It is customary after a long-haul international flight that fuel needs to be dumped so it is not too heavy to land. If it is too heavy, the landing gear can be damaged or destroyed.

Robert McCann, press secretary for the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, said none of the fuel should have reached the ground if it was dumped at 6,000 feet or above.

"Based on the information we have so far, the fuel was dumped at a level that would allow it to dissipate," he explained. "Based on that information, we're not expecting real concerns.

"If it touched (ground,) there would be minimal, if any, environmental impact," McCann said, stressing that it does not appear to be the situation with Flight 11.

If some of the fuel got into the soil or water, contamination could occur. The impact of that contamination and any clean-up would depend on how much fuel got into the soil or water and where.

McCann said the Washtenaw County Health Department has received complaints, which are being investigated. The nature of the complaints were not immediately known Thursday. No complaints had been reported in Livingston County, he said.

Breest did not return a message seeking comment on the environmental concerns. He did, however, issue a statement that said the flight landed normally and the 401 customers deplaned at the terminal. There were 19 crew members aboard.

"No emergency was declared," Breest said in the statement. "The customers are being accommodated on another 747-400 aircraft. Northwest apologizes for any inconvenience that this has caused."

Couple of retards think a 747 was circling at 1000 to 2000 feet?

Think how stupid the average person is; half the population is more stupid than that.

747s climb to 10k feet pretty quickly - when the dings (permitting portable electronic devices) go off. If the FAA thinks it was at 7,000 feet, then odds are that's where it was.

Wheeler said he was at Country Elementary School on M-36 in Hamburg Township when he saw the jet flying over. He estimated it was flying at 1,000-2,000 feet.

NWA is using 747's for crop dusters now? I wouldn't think there would be much profit margin in that. 1,000-2,000 feet huh? What an idiot. :blink:

"I thought, 'Oh my goodness,'" Wheeler said. "He was heading west then he turned southwest and powered up into the sky a little more."
:lol: :lol: This Wheeler guy really does need to get out more.

Greg McLaughlin, of Hartland Township, also estimated the jet had to be flying lower, although he would not guess at what altitude. He said he noticed it when he was at Euler Road and Grand River Avenue in Genoa Township.
This McLaughlin is smater than Wheeler.

At first, McLaughlin said, he was surprised to see a Boeing 747 flying low over the county. Then the jet made a sudden U-turn and he noticed something odd about its vapor stream.
"It was not a typical vapor stream," McLaughlin said. "I lived near Detroit Metro airport for 30 years and I've observed airplanes. I've never seen one with such a vapor stream."

OK, now he's beginning to get the Wheeler Syndrome.

Fuel dump in progress - Don't worry...just don't look up & keep the trap shut.
Lucky it wasn't blue. Yes, some people on the ground think they are aviation sexperts. I think all that stuff is recorded @ ATC anyhow... what flt level the plane was in, ect.

Lucky it wasn't blue. Yes, some people on the ground think they are aviation sexperts. I think all that stuff is recorded @ ATC anyhow... what flt level the plane was in, ect.

The truth be told, I wouldn't trust NWA to dump fuel, lav fluid or anything else in an appropriate manner.

It's true that the gents who guessed how high the 747 was flying were a little marginal in the estimate. LOL Oh well, maybe they were just concerned citizens who have a history of lying about distance just as most of us guys lie about length. :)

The truth be told, I wouldn't trust NWA to dump fuel, lav fluid or anything else in an appropriate manner.

Would you say that hand carrying buckets of blue water onto an aircraft to service a lav is an appropriate manner?
A certain resident SCAB thinks so... :shock:

but hey, just get the damn plane off the gate by any means necessary!

Would you say that hand carrying buckets of blue water onto an aircraft to service a lav is an appropriate manner?
A certain resident SCAB thinks so... :shock:

but hey, just get the damn plane off the gate by any means necessary!

Well it was either that or put him on an engine change, and we all know how well that worked out. :D

Latest posts

Back