What would you do?

NYCDelta

Senior
Dec 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Ok I have a situation. I've been a F/A at DL for 14 years. I commute ORD-NYC. I'm tired of commuting. I'm tired of paying for a crashpad. Frankly, I'm tired of being a F/A.
As some of you know, I'm also in the healthcare field. UA interviewed me for a position where I could incorporate my healthcare background with the airline's F/A's. The HQ is 5 miles from home. So, it would mean no more commuting, getting to sleep in my own bed, etc.
Here's my dilemma. I'm nervous about all the talks of mergers, UA being sold, etc. Do you think the gov't would ever approve a UA/DL merger? I would so hate to lose 14 years, and then have us merge next year. On the other hand, I don't want to move to ATL just to "move up" with my company. I've lived there before, and quite frankly, didn't care for it.
Any comments, suggestions, or insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

Ok I have a situation. I've been a F/A at DL for 14 years. I commute ORD-NYC. I'm tired of commuting. I'm tired of paying for a crashpad. Frankly, I'm tired of being a F/A.
As some of you know, I'm also in the healthcare field. UA interviewed me for a position where I could incorporate my healthcare background with the airline's F/A's. The HQ is 5 miles from home. So, it would mean no more commuting, getting to sleep in my own bed, etc.
Here's my dilemma. I'm nervous about all the talks of mergers, UA being sold, etc. Do you think the gov't would ever approve a UA/DL merger? I would so hate to lose 14 years, and then have us merge next year. On the other hand, I don't want to move to ATL just to "move up" with my company. I've lived there before, and quite frankly, didn't care for it.
Any comments, suggestions, or insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SIT TIGHT !!
(Here's why)

Your new CEO, Richard Anderson(Who was NW's CEO, just a few years ago), was brought in for a number of reasons, ONE VERY IMPORTANT ONE is, that IF DL merges with anyone, it WILL BE with NW...NOT UAL, or anybody else.

Anderson STATED, that if there were a merger, DL, would be the SURVIVOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Steenland(NW's #1, was Anderson's #2,)

Commuting sucks(I know, I did it before, from ORD/BOS, a LOT) (I was'nt a F/A)

If you had to commute, with a new combined company, you'd only be commuting between ORD---DTW/MSP. Heck, one can DRIVE between ORD/DTW in 4-5 hours, on all Interstate hwy's !

Just a quick "zip" over Lake Michigan !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SIT TIGHT !!
(Here's why)

Your new CEO, Richard Anderson(Who was NW's CEO, just a few years ago), was brought in for a number of reasons, ONE VERY IMPORTANT ONE is, that IF DL merges with anyone, it WILL BE with NW...NOT UAL, or anybody else.

Anderson STATED, that if there were a merger, DL, would be the SURVIVOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Steenland(NW's #1, was Anderson's #2,)

Commuting sucks(I know, I did it before, from ORD/BOS, a LOT) (I was'nt a F/A)

If you had to commute, with a new combined company, you'd only be commuting between ORD---DTW/MSP. Heck, one can DRIVE between ORD/DTW in 4-5 hours, on all Interstate hwy's !

Just a quick "zip" over Lake Michigan !!

Don't be so sure NHBB, I could see DAL and UAL merging... Look at the route network... It is very complimentary, and whoever merges with DAL doesn't have to worry about unions, which makes DAL a very nice target. Are you that easy to persuade NHBB??? Anderson also stated that DAL f/as would retain their seniority in a merger because MGMT. signed a silly sheet of paper.. If you believe that kind of double talk, I feel so sorry for you, MGMT will always do what is best for theiselves and the shareholders. Think of this as well, UAL could sell MP and MNTC, have 11 billion in the bank and make an offer for whomever they wanted - The only thing that is for sure - is that nothing is for sure... I would hold off NYCDAL... Tough it out, in the next downturn, everyone will be getting married.. Well most everyone, right NHBB???

11 billion in the bank and 12 billion in the hole. I know your not a numbers kind of person, but to the average person, that is not so good.

You seem to be the only person left standing that believes selling pieces of yourselfto raise cash to buy a competitior is not only going to happen, but is in fact a sound business decision. Michael Boyd and Goldman Sachs seem to feel different. But what would they know, they are not a junior flight attendant, or basked in the presence of Pat Freind.

From the Boyd report:

United has clearly tossed itself onto the sale block. Not to mention the chopping block.

They're apparently clearing the decks to make themselves an easy pick-up. They're talking about selling off parts to, in the B-school-ese they're paying dearly for, "unlock shareholder value." Not to mention shed stuff that might be duplicative in case somebody wanted to buy them.

United appears to be transforming itself from an airline into an acquisition target. They've hired consultants to "review" spinning off their maintenance operations - translation: spin'em off as fast as possible. They're talking about selling off other parts of the company, too. Parts that once gone might make United more attractive. And with cash in the till, too.

Then we have the CEO who was reported to have blurted out to an employee meeting that the choice is a combination of United with another carrier, or back into bankruptcy. Subtle, eh? A heck of a compliment to a management team that had the airline in Chapter 11 for three years.

This presents a real challenge for the rest of the industry. Since UA is hell bent on selling itself, it's not out of the question that somebody will look at buying. That means that every airline out there has no choice but to sit down and accomplish a lot of "what-if" scenario planning regarding their strategic options.

Buy United? Encourage a competitor to do so? Make a play for key parts? Plan a regulatory attack, with the intent of stripping key parts (like the Tokyo fifth-freedom rights) from a potential merger? Might the PBGC try to grab some of the spin-off cash? Might the Star Alliance be interested in doing something? Go after ORD slots? Lots of competitive options out there. One thing, at least at this point, seems to be certain. United's management really wants to sell.

So if United wants to sell itself, it's going to sell itself. And somebody - or somebodies - will end up buying all or pieces of the entity.

I'm assuming you are thinking of a management position, if that is the case forget about seniority it means nothing in a management context.

You are free to move on if you don't like the pay and there are no union or seniority issue to prevent your move.

Quite frankly if you are not willing to move to ATL to move up the leadership ladder at DL then you are already cutting yourself off from advancement.

If you are tired of being a flight attendant, it is time to go. Life is two short to waste it doing something that you do not like. Also, if you are tired of it, it will come across to your passengers and your crew. Your performance may still be in the acceptable range, but it is not your 100%.

Follow your passion wherever it leads.

Don't be so sure NHBB, I could see DAL and UAL merging... Look at the route network... It is very complimentary, and whoever merges with DAL doesn't have to worry about unions, which makes DAL a very nice target. Are you that easy to persuade NHBB??? Anderson also stated that DAL f/as would retain their seniority in a merger because MGMT. signed a silly sheet of paper.. If you believe that kind of double talk, I feel so sorry for you, MGMT will always do what is best for theiselves and the shareholders. Think of this as well, UAL could sell MP and MNTC, have 11 billion in the bank and make an offer for whomever they wanted - The only thing that is for sure - is that nothing is for sure... I would hold off NYCDAL... Tough it out, in the next downturn, everyone will be getting married.. Well most everyone, right NHBB???

In a merger, the NMB will compare the number of flight attendants coming from each carrier to determine if a representational election should be held, regardless if both, or only one, of the groups is unionized.

Since Delta and United have roughly the same number of flight attendants, the NMB will most likely call for a representational election, and if no single union receives 50 percent plus one of the votes, you will have no union.

Maybe that's the plan after all. With no AFA to deal with, DL management can put you at the bottom or slot you in at a ratio not favorable to UA flight attendants.

Guess you'll have to learn to worship somebody else other than Pat Friend. :rolleyes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

beauty,

You make some good points, but.......SERIOUSLY......Do you think(even for a second) that Anderson, formerly of "NW", who was brought in to run DL,....And was LEAPFROGGED over 2 DL good ol' boys, was just a mere coincidence ????????

Also, if(the above) happens, the good folks at UAL(and I'm not being facetious).......will be in "DEEP Doo Doo", because UAL's choices are then;
1. CO,who you'd have to take to the Alter, kickin' and screamin'
2. US(...PERISH the THOUGHT)
or
3. Remain a "stand alone carrier"(like the BIG DOG..AA), but still be saddled with a CEO, who's looking to "PIMP you out" .

Again, I go back to why Anderson was brought in to DL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back