What's Next?

Ames

Veteran
Mar 20, 2010
In light of the US Airways flight attendants voting on a new contract what is in store for the pilots? Judge Silver will decide on the declaratory judgement soon and things could be wrapped up with lightning speed.

Should the judge decide that USAPA and the company may negotiate a contract free of the Nicolau seniority list, thus exonerating the company from responsibility in a DFR would a "passable" contract appear quickly?

If the judge decides that the company is bound to use the Nicolau list will USAPA accept that fact and move on? How effective would a USAPA appeal be in a declaratory judgement and what other delay tactics could they use?

I started this thread outside of the pilot's thread as I think that most sensible people don't even look at that any more and am curious what others think.

What's next........Baseball :blink:

But seriously, it depends on who gets elected. A west leadership team will try to stop further litigation while and east team will allow it to continue.

A hybrid team of east/west will either argue over every last detail including the strength of the office coffee, or possibly begin to work together toward some sort of ccccccccccc...ccccccccccc.....cccompromise solution.

I won't hold my breath, but I think they'd be wise to get something done by the end of the year... ;)

I have wondered if the East Pilots got much of what they wanted in a contract but had to accept Nic would they or is this a suicide issue for them?

Maybe the company get get to work with the IAM on the Fleet Service contract now. Of course we will need the IAM leadership to get off their Butts and come back to the table before March per their "update" info. Nothing unexpected though, the membership stuck in the mud after their CBA becomes amendable with no friggen raise until July.... Why rush, we don't need the money, and they are all collecting the
"Big Bucks" anyway......

Judge Silver will decide on the declaratory judgement soon and things could be wrapped up with lightning speed.
That depends on what you mean by lightning speed.

Should Judge Silver rule in a way that does not allow USAPA to renegotiate seniority freely (company has no legal jeopardy), you can expect USAPA to appeal to the 9th.

Should the 9th not rule favorably on the appeal, expect USAPA to petition for a writ of certiorari.

Expected amount of delay - minimum of 2 years.

And since it is the opinion of the company that negotiations cannot continue until the seniority issue is resolved, you can expect another year to 18 months to wrap up the contract after that.

Didn't you guys get the Memo?

All of the Senior Union Officials and US Management are scheduled to meet at Dougie's Place and he's buying the PBR, Rumor has it that Blatz and Schlitz will be served as well for the more discriminating palate.

The goal is to hammer out a contract. If the beer is gone and no agreement is forthcoming Cleary and the AOL rep will mud wrestle to determine if the Nic award is to be imposed.

While this is taking place the Sr Managers will unload the beer truck and this time it's the "Good" Stuff, like Stroh's, Hamm's and Schaefer's. The Schaefers being a peace offering to the East should they lose the Mud Wrestling Contest. Once the winner is declared there will be a farting contest around the camp fire.

That depends on what you mean by lightning speed.

Should Judge Silver rule in a way that does not allow USAPA to renegotiate seniority freely (company has no legal jeopardy), you can expect USAPA to appeal to the 9th.

Should the 9th not rule favorably on the appeal, expect USAPA to petition for a writ of certiorari.

Expected amount of delay - minimum of 2 years.

And since it is the opinion of the company that negotiations cannot continue until the seniority issue is resolved, you can expect another year to 18 months to wrap up the contract after that.

Wouldn't an appeal be pointless? This is, after all, a request for a declaratory judgement. The company is simply asking the judge to interpret its agreement. Once the company gets its answer it will not be obligated to wait around for an appeal decision. Things could be wrapped up before the first appeal hearing is ever scheduled. Even if an appeals court overturns Silver's ruling if things are already in motion (one way or another) there will be no turning back.

Wouldn't an appeal be pointless? This is, after all, a request for a declaratory judgement. The company is simply asking the judge to interpret its agreement. Once the company gets its answer it will not be obligated to wait around for an appeal decision. Things could be wrapped up before the first appeal hearing is ever scheduled. Even if an appeals court overturns Silver's ruling if things are already in motion (one way or another) there will be no turning back.

I've wondered if Judge Silver could rule in a way that makes appeal pointless, but most people say I'm wrong. But, if she did, why do you think they would do anything quickly? They haven't so far and the NAC is asking to meet outside of mediation. Are you thinking because of the merger speculation?

Didn't you guys get the Memo?

All of the Senior Union Officials and US Management are scheduled to meet at Dougie's Place and he's buying the PBR, Rumor has it that Blatz and Schlitz will be served as well for the more discriminating palate.

The goal is to hammer out a contract. If the beer is gone and no agreement is forthcoming Cleary and the AOL rep will mud wrestle to determine if the Nic award is to be imposed.

While this is taking place the Sr Managers will unload the beer truck and this time it's the "Good" Stuff, like Stroh's, Hamm's and Schaefer's. The Schaefers being a peace offering to the East should they lose the Mud Wrestling Contest. Once the winner is declared there will be a farting contest around the camp fire.

Jeez will you ever get a new joke? Go back to selling paper Dwight.

I have wondered if the East Pilots got much of what they wanted in a contract but had to accept Nic would they or is this a suicide issue for them?
No, if there was a large retirement in addition to the Age 65 retirements, you would see the east push for a Nic inclusive contract once enough "I Got Mine" types (are there any others out east?) got their ill-gotten upgrade.

But there aren't and there won't be.

Sorry easties, we're gonna have to put your Wishing Well on MEL!

No, if there was a large retirement in addition to the Age 65 retirements, you would see the east push for a Nic inclusive contract once enough "I Got Mine" types (are there any others out east?) got their ill-gotten upgrade.

But there aren't and there won't be.

Sorry easties, we're gonna have to put your Wishing Well on MEL!

Do you know what you can do with that blanket statement?

Back