What's wrong with this picture?

nycbusdriver

Veteran
Dec 19, 2002
The Capital of the World
Visit site
What's wrong with this picture besides my mispelling of WRONG? Mod note- corrected.

Now on to my post:

I rode on Delta in December LGA-ATL-LGA. The flights were OK, but something in their inflight magazine startled me. Their CEO was talking about Delta's huge expansion plans for Europe.

And I said to myself:

"Self, can you explain how Delta goes into bankruptcy in September with billions in debt and three months later is talking big expansion plans, while at the same time USAirways comes OUT of bankruptcy with $2 billion in new money and is still in the midst of shrinking itself?"

And myself answered me:

"I can't explain it. Maybe some pundit on USAviation.com can."

Couldn't let this one slide........reminded me of a F/A that made his arrival announcemnt "Our distinguished Ground Staff will be happy to assist You with connx flts/baggage claim/smoking hangouts or explaining The Meaning of Life :lol:

What's wrong with this picture besides my mispelling of WRONG? Mod note- corrected.

Now on to my post:

I rode on Delta in December LGA-ATL-LGA. The flights were OK, but something in their inflight magazine startled me. Their CEO was talking about Delta's huge expansion plans for Europe.

Delta is betting that they can generate mroe revenue flying international so they are cutting back on national flights. The problem is the other airlines are doing the same thing.So pretty soon we are going to have to many seats chasing to few customers(sound familiar). Delta's big expansion into europe sounds good on paper but reality is there is going to be a fare war eventually on the international routes just like we have the fair wars here in the states

Word has it that all PHX Delta rampers received layoff notices today (70) and that is system-wide. Will find out if it is true on Saturday. Guess they're cutting bodies and adding international flights.

I know the PDX ramp received theirs in the Fall, and they were supposed to take effect around this time. :down:

One big plus is, Delta has wide bodies that they can deploy to Europe; US doesn't have many spares.

Remenber in the past Delta flew ATL-MCO-ATL all day long in 767s. Since they cut back by 60% the number of gates at MCO, they have extra planes. The found out like US did it is not worth flying the family to see Mickey. Money is made elsewhwre. That is why the domestic routes are all going to smaller planes than they had before, and that leave the 767s available for international

DL is not cutting flights into MCO, they are just cutting gates.

And I said to myself:

"Self, can you explain how Delta goes into bankruptcy in September with billions in debt and three months later is talking big expansion plans, while at the same time USAirways comes OUT of bankruptcy with $2 billion in new money and is still in the midst of shrinking itself?"

Delta will still shrink ops when you net it all together b/c they are shrinking domestic routes (ala CVG, etc). So the European "expansion" comes during a domestic "retreat".

DL's International expansion is an "easy read"

ANY destination from ATL makes perfect sense, and DL is carefully "picking their spots" in JFK, carefull not to "piss off" AA.

Examples;

DL flies to ATH from JFK. AA has the authority via TW to fly ATH, but chooses not to activate it.

DL also is famous for flying "strange" routes to OUTER MONGOLIA from JFK(JUST Kidding, but you catch my drift).
If they(DL) are succsessful on these odd ball trips, then they continue, if not they pull them.

Does DL still fly to Moscow ? If so, how is it doing?

I'm able to hear DL's radio ads(via NY stations) that proclaim DL is "the number 1 airline, with the MOST departures from JFK", however THAT does not equate into making THE most $$$ from JFK.

DL's inability to fly in LHR(from) JFK is a BIG thing !!

NH/BB's

HEY MODERATOR ----

MY POST IS ABOUT USAIRWAYS MISSING THE BOAT, NOT A CELEBRATION OF DELTA'S EUROPEAN EXPANSION PLANS.

WHY DID YOU MOVE IT HERE?

(Is my wry sense of the ironic and exquisite cynicism too subtle for you moderators?)

(Or is there another explanation that you would delete if I spelled it out?)

While your intent is recognized, in fact US Airways is mentioned only briefly, and this thread has progressed to a discussion of Delta's operations and plans, hence the move to the Delta Forum.

Feel free to start another thread on US regarding US' plans or lack thereof, but we'll let the discussion of Delta's move to international service stay here.

Thanks for understanding.

Richard

ANY destination from ATL makes perfect sense, and DL is carefully "picking their spots" in JFK, carefull not to "piss off" AA.

I don't think DL has any fear of pissing off AA at JFK. When it comes to Europe from JFK, DL has little to fear from AA and its FOUR european destinations. AA and DL both serve JFK-CDG and JFK-BRU. AA serves LHR and DL certainly would if they could. So, the only route AA has that DL doesn't is ZRH.

As for Latin America, DL is slowly growing from JFK despite AA's presence. In the past two years, DL has added JFK-SJU, JFK-STI and JFK-SDQ. This summer DL is launching JFK-GRU. DL wanted to add JFK-EZE, but the slots were allocated to Continental.

Does DL still fly to Moscow ? If so, how is it doing?

Yes, DL does. In fact, they added another Moscow flight from ATL. DL is not only the sole US carrier to Russia, but they have two flights.

DL's inability to fly in LHR(from) JFK is a BIG thing !!
NH/BB's

Indeed it is. This is the one achilles heel to DL's operation at JFK. Hopefully, someday it will be resolved.

I don't think DL has any fear of pissing off AA at JFK. When it comes to Europe from JFK, DL has little to fear from AA and its FOUR european destinations. AA and DL both serve JFK-CDG and JFK-BRU. AA serves LHR and DL certainly would if they could. So, the only route AA has that DL doesn't is ZRH.

As for Latin America, DL is slowly growing from JFK despite AA's presence. In the past two years, DL has added JFK-SJU, JFK-STI and JFK-SDQ. This summer DL is launching JFK-GRU. DL wanted to add JFK-EZE, but the slots were allocated to Continental.
Yes, DL does. In fact, they added another Moscow flight from ATL. DL is not only the sole US carrier to Russia, but they have two flights.
Indeed it is. This is the one achilles heel to DL's operation at JFK. Hopefully, someday it will be resolved.

This is why I keep saying DL/AA merge, as otherwise unlikely. Such a fantasy merger would only require retrenching at LGA and some NE to FL and perhaps a little more retrenchment at CVG. But a lot of that would be combing RJ's out of already congested skies.

Be careful for what you wish for. AA now has the authority and it has been mentioned AA will start Moscow and St. Petersburg out of JFK. Athens, Barcelona, Stockholm, Oslo, Amersterdam, Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich, and Bombay have also been mentioned recently. Cairo, was also mentioned but do to security issues, they have not made their "official" decison on it.

All of the above routes are former TWA and AA still has the authority to fly them. So, Delta better watch out because the GorillAA is looking to expand out of JFK as well.

Ask yourself this question...Why is AA building a huge new terminal at JFK with 60 plus gates? Makes you think hard, huh?

Latest posts

Back