Where Is The Bad News

Ukridge

Senior
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Disquietude abounds. At first I was going to pass along my congratulations to you United chaps (non-gender of course) for the progress made as witnessed in the narrowing of the losses.

If though, my determination and reckoning are correct, it has been nearly a full 24 hours since this information has been made public. Yet, I have noticed no cutting and prognosticating reply that provides the Alice in Wonderland interpretation that this ostensible good news is actually bad news and seriously bad news at that. Over the past year we have repeatedly seen how any glimmer of hope was quickly extinguished by parsing the news through the special prism of interpretation (that only a few were capable of doing) to show that oblivion was a certitude.

One can only imagine how disquieting it is then to read that this news of the first quarter will stand untouched and unchallenged. This then brings me to the question of the day. Is it possible that the survival of United is a much brighter prospect than envisioned some months past? If this survival looks as if it is more a certainty than oblivion, is it possible that United has entered the realm of mundane news and no longer attracts the frenzied and breathless attention of the vultures that were planning on a meal? Is it possible that there is indeed something dark within the human psyche that gloats on the misfortune of others and when that affliction has passed that attention is no longer merited?

In other words….. Seems as if the patient is doing quite nicely thank you and the jack-a-napes have lost interest in ‘visiting the hospital.’ Ah, what a boring topic success is.

Good work United folk.
Cheers

In terms peculiar to your island:
"In such an eventuality if the batsman is still found stranded outside the popping crease then the umpire shall rule the batsman out - stumped, but if the batsman has regained his crease on time then he survives the appeal."
Cheers

The reduced loss was a step in the right direction, but UAL's Q1 result was over $250 million worse than AMR's result ($211 million operating loss v. $43 operating profit).

To survive long-term, UAL needs to get to break-even. At least cash flow (on an operating basis) has turned positive. :)

UK

The trends are in the right direction, but nothing is assured yet, least of all long-term survival for UA, not just emergence from Ch.11.

To use a footie metaphor , UA has stopped shooting own goals, and has at least taken the ball out of its own penalty area. That doesn't mean that it is yet close to scoring at the other end, and there's plenty of room for UA to be tackled, or trip over its own bootlaces.