where is the big WN/FL/B6 expansion in PIT

One of the points I was hoping to convey with the data, is that PIT generates a good deal of traffic. It's not the market dynamics of PIT that are the major drawback, it's the overall macro environment within the airline industry. Even an airline like SWA isn't going to go crazy with expansion opportunities with jet fuel at these levels and margins still super thin; deploying assets isn't cheap. This is one reason the decision to abandon the PIT hub and to go all in with PHL is somewhat odd given the operational limits at PHL. I don't have the data to prove the concept but I still say a hybrid model where PHL operates mostly as an O&D hub with some connections and PIT as the Northeast transfer point would prove to be the best approach (asset utilization). Instead US decided to throw a multi-million dollar asset down the drain.

The proof is with SWA.
If they see value they will expand ala BWI.

If not then they will wait until they can place airplanes in more profitable pairings and then back fill from there.

Did I see MCO as the biggest destination from PIT?

You forgot one thing, the main reason US pulled down PIT was the high cost of fees for each passenger vs CLT.

Per passenger fees are based on the total number of passengers that each airline boards in relation to the number of gates that are leased/utilized. In the case of PIT, US cut the number of flights (lower passenger numbers) and did not cut the number of gates they leased. This is the direct reason for the alleged money losing speech that was cited as the reason for the January PIT pulldown. The cost of operating at PIT has been demonstrated to be less than PHL or several other hubs when the gates are properly utilized, yet US Airways underutilized the gates and let the costs be the excuse to pull down operations. Sure, WN and other low cost carriers were eating into their O&D yield, but most of the money that US made in PIT was from connecting traffic, not O&D. Plain and simple, US pulled down PIT to get rid of as many senior employees as they could because they are expensive liabilities as far as salaries and benefits. I know it sounds crazy, but the bottom line rules with the slugs in Tempe, and they will go around their elbow to get to their ### to save a buck.

Just Curious.

Has the other airlines filled in nicely?
Any of the LCCs adding new PIT destinations?
Any legacies adding more frequency?
Is WN larger then US?

FutureCEO and SpinDoc are touching upon it. It's a succinct, one word answer. I've stated it before in previous posts. I'm not giving any more hints, because it's all right in front of everyone.
What a stupid mind-game to play...reminds me of my ex-wife,...

If you "think" you know precisely why PIT is pulled down, say so...otherwise, this is nothing more than your 15 minutes of "fame" in the world as you know it...

What a waste of time....

Who cares WHY they pulled PIT down...it is what it is...

If you think there's a case to be made, by all means, speak up...otherwise, shut the hell up.

If you "think" you know precisely why PIT is pulled down, say so...otherwise, this is nothing more than your 15 minutes of "fame" in the world as you know it...

What a waste of time....

If you think there's a case to be made, by all means, speak up...otherwise, shut the hell up.

I think Pittsburgh was shut down for US Airways because it was right beside Philadelphia and the fact that Charlotte is the reliver hub for Philadelphia. And Charlotte provides nice southeast coverage that Pittsburgh could probably not be able to handle.

I think Pittsburgh could be a nice focus city for United. Well... Maybe in the '90s.

What a waste of time....

LOL! Three months elapse, and you post a scathing attack? How intriguing!

Please use the IGNORE function, elixir.

Back