Who Needs Safety?

Broke@SFO

Apr 21, 2003
A federal judge ruled Tuesday in Chicago that United Airlines (UAL) may temporarily postpone safety inspections on any plane that carries more than 83 passengers. Industry analysts say the move will help the company in its ongoing contract negotiations with the mechanics' and machinists' union.
The two sides resumed talks on Tuesday and are trying to strike a deal before an interim contract expires on May 31. If the sides do not reach a deal, a bankruptcy judge will decide whether or not to unilaterally break the contract and create new terms.

UAL argued in court that safety inspections were unnecessary and used as evidence vast amounts of data showing that airplanes rarely need to be repaired on the tarmac between filghts. The court agreed, ruling that inspections only needed to be completed once per week for all large aircraft.

"Planes of this size are very reliable," said UAL legal spokesman Kenneth Blonski. "If a plane makes it from say, Chicago to Orlando then you know the plane is in good shape. It certainly should be able to turn around make the return trip. The last trip proved it. There really is no reason to spend thousands of dollars inspecting it just to send it on a trip that it just proved that it can make."

The new ruling will put a lot of pressure on the union of what are now essentially unneeded mechanics.

Many are calling the company's decision to ask for the safety reprieve as unconscionable and unethical as its decision to shirk workers' pensions earlier in the month. Others are starting to notice that the federal government allows serial bankruptists to increasingly shed their responsibility to workers, consumers and the public at large.

"I don't know what's worse," says frequent United flyer Lynn Ascot, "the breaking of promises to the people whose blood and sweat built the company or the breaking of the promise to consumers to empty the toilets and eye up the gimbal nut assembly more than once a week. I suppose I need to switch airlines to show my disgust with the company's decisions. On the other hand, I guess it's not fair of me to expect safety inspections if I want to travel to Witchita for $39 each way."

After the ruling, the Judge Wedoff and attorney Ken Blowski both elected to take a train back to Washington DC rather than free seats on UAL. :)

"Planes of this size are very reliable," said UAL legal spokesman Kenneth Blonski. "If a plane makes it from say, Chicago to Orlando then you know the plane is in good shape. It certainly should be able to turn around make the return trip. The last trip proved it( he shouldn't worry about putting his family on it without an inspection). There really is no reason to spend thousands of dollars inspecting it just to send it on a trip that it just proved that it can make."
Put this dumb nut on a plane when one of the vital systems wears out after a flight....no matter how short. When machines break...they don't always,acturately notify humans ahead of time...while on the ground. This management group is one outrageous piece of cake.

Fly said:
Duplicate Thread

FYI - This isn't true and the magazine the article comes from is the equivalent of National Enquirer.
[post="273614"][/post]​
Oh c'mon! You're just saying that to deflect attention from the upcoming follow-up story about how United is bringing back meals on their planes, featuring burgers and skinless chicken breasts purchased from Sam Manella's Tainted Meat Company. (slogan: "we avoid costly government inspections and pass the savings on to YOU!").

I thought, after your post about bulimia, that you already were aware of that breaking story! :D

And from the picture you attached in that thread about the Stewardess calendar, I know you're knowledgeable about breasts. :p

-synchronicity

PS- there actually is a guy named Sam Manella, who was a walk-on for DePaul's college basketball team in the late 70's and is now a successful attorney. But AFAIK he doesn't sell tainted meat to United.

Nope. I'm no expert on breasts......except mine!

Seriously?!? Sam Manella?? LOL :)

Fly said:
Nope. I'm no expert on breasts......except mine!

Seriously?!? Sam Manella?? LOL :)
[post="273651"][/post]​

Well, if you'd like a second opinion on your breasts, I'd be more than willing to volunteer. :shock:

As for Sam Manella: http://www.insideonline.com/site/epage/21935_162.htm

Students in Posig's fall class met with DePaul Blue Demons Basketball Coach Dave Leitao and Assistant Coach Tyler Jones to discuss their views of motivation, teams and leadership. They also heard from DePaul Adjunct Management Professor and attorney Sam Manella, who talked about basketball coach Ray Meyer, for whom he played as a Blue Demon while studying at DePaul.

But no, he doesn't own a tainted meat company. :)

-synchronicity

Broke@SFO said:
"Planes of this size are very reliable," said UAL legal spokesman Kenneth Blonski. "If a plane makes it from say, Chicago to Orlando then you know the plane is in good shape. It certainly should be able to turn around make the return trip. The last trip proved it. There really is no reason to spend thousands of dollars inspecting it just to send it on a trip that it just proved that it can make."

[post="273603"][/post]​

OMG... did he really say that? This is so not funny. In fact, it's scary.

I would check the reliability of the publication over the reliability of that quote.

I seriously doubt that was said. United even has a seperate group of pilots (not on the seniority list) to fly planes returning from the desert to test airworthiness and to assure the safety of our pilots on the seniority list. Imho, that article is total hogwash.

Fly,

Ask any mechanic at UniTED and it isn't hogwash that Pete McDonald has stated in the past (During Contract Negotiations 2000-2003) and I Quote AGAIN!

"We are in the people moving business, not the maintenance business!"

I'd believe that UniTED will continue to do what ever is possible even if it's not completely safe to steadily get rid of all maintenance that they don't wish to perform. UniTED even set the precedence at other Legacy Carriers to shed their heavy maintenance responsibilities in lew of supposedly cheaper and better quality maintenance services at the MRO'S.

They already got the FED'S to differ for another year most of the heavy checks on some of their larger aircraft. Have you ever wondered what lies below that galley floor you work around, or the lav’s that get used more than a $20 hooker??? It takes 5 years usually for a heavy check to come around and those areas are pretty well toasted from galley cheese, blue water contamination and human excrement! So now imagine after 6 years, I hope that those bouncing jugs of yours don't help you gravitate through a galley floor one day :up:

Ummm........guys and gals? The article is a joke. You know....like funny ha-ha. Someone made it up to be funny.

mrfish3726 said:
or the lav’s that get used more than a $20 hooker???
[post="273808"][/post]​
Leave it to Fish to plug (no pun intended) free advertising for his wife!

ualdriver said:
Ummm........guys and gals? The article is a joke. You know....like funny ha-ha. Someone made it up to be funny.
[post="273852"][/post]​
You mean, salesmen aren't really delighted by the death of Arthur Miller?

Wow, my entire worldview has been shattered.

-synchronicity

(really did appreciate the "well, I'd like safety inspections, but then I couldn't pay only $39 each way from Wichita" line. I keep thinking of the tainted meat thing and how that should be in the Simpsons "sure, people want government inspections, but then I couldn't buy this roast for only 39 cents a pou...augghhh BLEAAGHHH *BARF* ARGHHH" {grasps throat, keels over dead})

I love lunch lady Doris! That reminds me of this scene......

Skinner: Before we draw up the budget, I believe the students and
faculty have a few suggestions.
Willy: I want a crystal bucket for my slopwater and a brand new filthy
blanket.
[Skinner stamps "Approved" on his clipboard]
Doris: The cafeteria staff is complaining about the mice in the
kitchen. I want to hire a new staff. ["Approved"]

Lisa: I'd like to start a jazz program for the music department.
We've got a really great instructor lined up. [opens door]
Skinner: [with Chalmers] Tito Puente!
[Tito plays his bongos]
Lisa: He's ready to give up the drudgery of the professional mambo
circuit and settle into a nice teaching job.
Tito: Man, it will be my pleasure. Lisa has told me all your
students are as bright and dedicated to jazz as she is.
Lisa: [nervous laugh] Let's go now, Mr. Puente. ["Approved"]
Ralph: Chocolate microscopes. ["Approved"]
Otto: You know those guitars, that are like, double guitars, you
know? ["Approved"]
Skinner: More rubber stamps. ["Approved"]

UniTED even set the precedence at other Legacy Carriers to shed their heavy maintenance responsibilities in lew of supposedly cheaper and better quality maintenance services at the MRO'S.

You really think United could be at the forfront of anything? You assume that no other carrier looks at that? UAL is a follower...not a leader....you've stated that....Just where do you come up with your diatribe anyhow?

Back