Why American Airlines doesn't tout its maintenance work

<_< ------- How about a Cadillac, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a Chevy Pickup, none new! But all paid for!------- Oh yea! Then there's my "68" Camaro, 24 thousand original miles!. --------All paid for with P.B.G.C. cheese!!! ;) ------ But all American made!!!

OK, that covers cars. Anyone own a DVD player? A cable or satellite box? A TV less than 15 years old? A Cell phone? I'll go with an easy one, the computer your posting with? None of these were American made. A good thing? Not really, as someone said already we don't make anything here anymore so that ship already sailed. The argument over foreign made or repaired versus American made is as much, if not more, an emotional argument than it is a logical argument.

OK, that covers cars. Anyone own a DVD player? A cable or satellite box? A TV less than 15 years old? A Cell phone? I'll go with an easy one, the computer your posting with? None of these were American made. A good thing? Not really, as someone said already we don't make anything here anymore so that ship already sailed. The argument over foreign made or repaired versus American made is as much, if not more, an emotional argument than it is a logical argument.
<_< ------- Well said, for someone who only has 26 more payments on his new Toyota!!! ;)

So you think that the difference between having a trained, licensed mechanic who has had a 10 year background check and is randomly drug tested vs having some guy with no training, no license, no backround check and no random drug testing, working on the aluminium tube thats going to hurtle you across the sky at 600mph, is an emotional arguement? Why not just go to the local Butcher and have that gall bladder removed?

There's a reason we call them "chop Shops", and that goes for many of the Domestic ones as well. I worked for AAR for a brief time. They threw a part in front of you and said "fix it". There was no training, just some old manuals in a back room "if you really need them". You had to ask the manager for them.

The reasons they give make sense, but I for one am very proud that we don't outsource much work. Even when things were really, really bad in our economy we supported American jobs, and that means something. The safety issue is a whole other can of worms... but bottom line is we have done the right thing and I think we can take pride in that.

The reasons they give make sense, but I for one am very proud that we don't outsource much work. Even when things were really, really bad in our economy we supported American jobs, and that means something. The safety issue is a whole other can of worms... but bottom line is we have done the right thing and I think we can take pride in that.
<_< ------- Enjoy it while you can frontline, because as much as I hate to say it, I believe AA's in house heavy maintenance will be put to the test here shortly!------ ( But I hope I'm wrong!!!) ;)

Check it out. Consumer Reports weighs in on outsourced maintenance. in June edition.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/june/viewpoint/overview/index.htm

<_< ------- Enjoy it while you can frontline, because as much as I hate to say it, I believe AA's in house heavy maintenance will be put to the test here shortly!------ ( But I hope I'm wrong!!!) ;)

I certainly hope your gut is wrong about that. My understanding is that AA is the last major US-based airline to keep things mostly in house. That doesn't leave much in the way of alternatives.

Back