Why DL should buy NW

chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
Why Delta Should Buy Northwest
With a new CEO and a clean balance sheet, Delta is pondering expansion. Here's why Northwest is the logical choice

by Justin Bachman

Northwest Airlines (NWA) Chief Executive Doug Steenland calls the U.S. airline industry's consolidation "inevitable." Richard Anderson, the new chief executive at Delta Air Lines (DAL), says his company would do a deal provided Delta is the acquirer and it helps the airline.

If Delta and Northwest executives really are committed to consolidating the field and tackling some of the industry's financial problems, they need look no farther than each other. From route networks and planes to workers and investors, the third- and fifth-biggest U.S. airlines face compelling reasons to merge.

"The strategic combination of Northwest and Delta might make a lot of economic sense, and we'd like to see both companies explore that potential," says Matthew Philo, a senior managing director at MacKay Shields, a private investment firm that holds a 3.1% stake in Northwest and 1.8% of Delta. "It might be a win for all constituents…including labor."

Consensus
Now may be the time. After the two companies filed for bankruptcy in 2005, they scrubbed their balance sheets back to respectability, converting heavy loads of debt to equity before emerging earlier this year. Today, many of the airlines' biggest holders are hedge funds and other strategic investors anxious for a profitable exit. At Northwest, half of the 20 largest institutional shareholders are hedge funds or private equity firms, with a nearly 31% stake in the airline. "The best target out there just sitting around saying, 'Hey, buy me' is Northwest," says Roger King, a senior airline analyst with CreditSights in New York.

Both airlines surprised some analysts in the past two weeks by raising the prospect of consolidation. In an Oct. 29 conference call with analysts, Steenland noted that Northwest and its hub-and-spoke peers were created from earlier mergers. "We believe that this trend will continue and that further consolidation of the industry is inevitable," he said, adding that "six major domestic network carriers are too many."

Story

Everyone is correct by when stating 'six legacy carriers are too many' -- however unless someone pulls a PanAm then we are left with consolidation.

The hedge funds and airplane noteholders want mergers. The only question is who and when.

Mergers are a terrible squander of cash. The only beneficiaries are the sellers.

The smart and strong carriers will not merge. Therefore we are facing another disaster like AWA-US.

The best solution would be to eliminate the 25% foreign ownership limit.

"At Northwest, half of the 20 largest institutional shareholders are hedge funds or private equity firms, with a nearly 31% stake in the airline."

And they can do what?

Let' em try...without the approval of NW employees. They will see their little investment disintegrate into poof. This is still the MOST angry group of airline employees flying.

If DL and NW merge would the MEM and CVG hubs be eliminated. It seems like MEM would ovrlap with ATL and CVG with DTW. The elimination of those routes would be the cost savings possibly allowing for the retirement of NW aging fleet of DC-9's? I'm just guessing. But DL is all MD and Boeing and has no Airbus, so there would be additional fleet types.

Oh, I'm sure they would close the ATL and DTW operations. Too crowded, bad weather don't you know. Besides, who else in this business other than SWA ever makes logical decisions? :lol:

Perhaps it's just because this is a NW thread, but I totally read "don't you know" with a Minnesota accent. B)

- astra (don't cha knooow)

One thing STANDS OUT, (like those god-dam Bright headlights, on some new cars), is the fact that Richard Anderson, "leapfrogged" over 2 DL "good ol' boys", for the TOP spot.
(In DL-dom, THAT is UNPRESIDENTED)

If I were a NW F/A, AMT, ESE, I would'nt oppose a deal like that, because there would be enough people in all 3 groups, who could force a (new) union vote, once/if DL tried to classify these groups as Non-Union.
(speaking only for the ramp, DL has a ton of rampers, in places like BOS/PVD/BDL/LGA/JFK/EWR/PHL/ORD/DCA/BWI/LAX/SFO/SEA/ that would JUMP at the chance to be organized)

Let's be very clear about one thing...Northwest ain't no Western, or Pan Am on life support, by a LONG SHOT!

Nor are NWA Unions going anywhere, anytime soon. (they can dream, wish, hope)

There will be NO deal with any airline from NW (with the highest profit margins of any airline, from the pockets and sweat of NW employees) with out the approval of NW employees. And that means we will have a say in any transaction. If we decide not to be the acquirer, you can bet it will be one of EQUALS. As the only airline with an ace to play (Cal) and the highest cash balance per ratio, we don't have to do anything. If anyone thinks NW employees will walk away from what they have sacrificed with out a suicide fight they really don't know our reputation. The only ones to be hurt in a transaction would be NW scabs...(I only hope salt is poured on the open wounds)

I do think Delta, or Cal would work quite nicely tho. (and frankly, I think we would look at anything to get rid of the door mat BOD and Steenland pack).

Whatever is going to happen, will happen in the next few years, as Steenland will do anything not to face us again when these slave agreements are up.

Let's be very clear about one thing...Northwest ain't no Western, or Pan Am on life support, by a LONG SHOT!

There will be NO deal with any airline from NW (with the highest profit margins of any airline, from the pockets and sweat of NW employees) with out the approval of NW employees. And that means we will have a say in any transaction. If we decide not to be the acquirer, you can bet it will be one of EQUALS. As the only airline with an ace to play (Cal) and the highest cash balance per ratio, we don't have to do anything. If anyone thinks NW employees will walk away from what they have sacrificed with out a suicide fight they really don't know our reputation. The only ones to be hurt in a transaction would be NW scabs...(I only hope salt is poured on the open wounds)

I do think Delta, or Cal would work quite nicely tho. (and frankly, I think we would look at anything to get rid of the door mat BOD and Steenland pack).

Whatever is going to happen, will happen in the next few years, as Steenland will do anything not to face us again when these slave agreements are up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

N x NW,

From your "points" above, I do agree with you, that BIG RED is holding a lot of Aces, if the Employees DON'T want any deal(plus the CO trump ace) !!

One thing STANDS OUT, (like those god-dam Bright headlights, on some new cars), is the fact that Richard Anderson, "leapfrogged" over 2 DL "good ol' boys", for the TOP spot.
(In DL-dom, THAT is UNPRESIDENTED)

If I were a NW F/A, AMT, ESE, I would'nt oppose a deal like that, because there would be enough people in all 3 groups, who could force a (new) union vote, once/if DL tried to classify these groups as Non-Union.
(speaking only for the ramp, DL has a ton of rampers, in places like BOS/PVD/BDL/LGA/JFK/EWR/PHL/ORD/DCA/BWI/LAX/SFO/SEA/ that would JUMP at the chance to be organized)

DL doesn't have their own ramp in about 90% of the cities you listed above. The only cities listed above that have actual Delta ramp employees are BOS/LGA/ and JFK. If i'm not mistaken, DAL ramp tops out at around $3150.00 a month, already more than NWA, and thats not including the union dues that come out of each and every check.

You are correct that it would be a merger of equals. But I would disagree regarding the western comparison. DL and WN complemented each other nicely and both were about the same size. DL was the buyer, as will more than likely be the case if/when the NW deal goes thru. I can only hope that it works out for the employees as well as the DL/WN deal.
All ground workers got DOH, as well they should have. Not sure how it worked in in-flight and ALPA as always worked out their own deal.

From the outside it appears that there is no love loss between labor and management at NW. So losing the brain trust in MSP will not be a deal breaker for the unions.

Wages at DL after two pay cuts and BK are not near what they should be but are still higher than NW for ground employees and F/A’s.

DL F/A top out at $3080 after 12 years.
NW F/A top out at $2953 after 15 years.

DL AMT top at $5089 after 8 ½ years.
NW AMT top at $4657 under a SCAB contract.

“Could not find ramp payâ€￾

DL 737NG Capt $151 HR
NW A320 Capt $137 HR

The point of all this is that if DL follows the same formula as with the WN merger all will be brought up to the higher pay scale and hopefully another raise within 12 months.

Regardless good luck to all employees.

No offense was meant to Western employees (legendary good service). I am a Californian, and Western was one of my favorite airlines on the planet. My analogy was that NW employees are a bit more aggressive and confrontational.

I think most of us at NW would just prefer to remain alone with NEW leadership. We are, however, practical.

(NW FA's top out figure is with a 70 hr. min. What is Delta's? That will give a clear comparison. With incentive rate at $41.37@15)

No offense was meant to Western employees (legendary good service). I am a Californian, and Western was one of my favorite airlines on the planet. My analogy was that NW employees are a bit more aggressive and confrontational.

I think most of us at NW would just prefer to remain alone with NEW leadership. We are, however, practical.
(NW FA's top out figure is with a 70 hr. min. What is Delta's? That will give a clear comparison. With incentive rate at $41.37@15)

I am not a F/A but this is some of the bennie stuff I could find.
Delta

Minimum 45 hours bid,
but no minimum after
drops and swaps;
Must have 540 hours
annually to maintain
benefits (average of 45
hours per month)
May pick up time with
no limit

Northwest

Minimum 75 bid, but