Why Moral Suxs At Aa

TIME FOR CHANGE

Veteran
Feb 9, 2003
mia
Youre going to love this. :up:

This company has taken enough from us you think they would at least help us get on an airplane.

Flight 1812 MIA - LGA April 01

A friends father traveling D2P tries to get to LGA all day with no luck. Started trying to get on a flight since 10 AM. At 20:13 they close the door for the LGA trip with 19 seats available and 16 standbys hanging in the wind.
Thank you very much thats why I love this company so. :rolleyes:

On the manifest was a D3 who was trying to get to a funeral.
Not to mention the 6 D3 passengers who paid 50 dollars for this top notch treatment. I will never figure out why someone would go standby to NY for 50 dollars when you can do it for 70 positive space on Jet Blue. I bet you those D3s will think twice next time around. ;)

The travel is the only fringe benefit left at this place yet it seems we dont even have that anymore. :(

Have an AMFA day :up:

I think that passes are a good thing for the employee only. Our parents and D3's pay a lot for the privelege of being treated in such a manner as you have described. This is sad because the company is losing some revenue (even as small as it is). I know my family never use my passes anymore because for a just a few dollars more they can get a confirmed seat and be treated like a human being. Usually they choose to fly on a low cost carrier. So, I definitely think AAL is losing some revenue.

Why does AA sometimes close the door on aircraft 10 to 20 minutes before departure? I have witnessed a few irate passengers (one being myself), quite a few times. Most likely those paying passengers will never be back after the agent says; "Gee, I'm so sorry." or to the non-rev, "You shoulda been here earlier".

Pulling together...winning together? I think not. :down: :down: :down:

I don't want to start an internecine war, but I have observed this behavior from agents at MIA more often than any other station in my vast career of 3 years. Forget their treatment of leisure non-revs. What about employees on company business?

Official policy is that employees traveling pos space are to be upgraded to F/C whenever seats are available. A couple of years ago, I was working a trip which ended at MIA and the crew was to deadhead back to DFW. Traveling "A" category which is positive space.

Our flight arrived in MIA about 50 minutes prior to scheduled departure of our dhd flight. By the time we unloaded and walked to a different concourse (always an adventure at MIA), we got to the gate about 20 minutes prior to departure. The agent put the 3 of us in the 3 middle seats of row 35 or 36 even though there were seats available in F/C. He told us we should have been there earlier rather than "wait til the last minute to show up." He gave the F/C seats to D3s, and told us we could file a complaint with the company if we didn't like it.

Well then I'm just curious . . . if the D3 already has the seat and their butt is in it, on time, and then you show up, do you expect the agent to pull the passenger out of their seat and give it to you?

Bittch about MIA all you like and lord knows I do every time I go through it, but it has the most weight restricted flights I've ever seen. Seats go out empty because cargo has weight restricted the flight and with fuel at a premium, they aren't packing extra pounds of it so they can haul butts and just burn off the fuel in the air to make up for the weight restriction. If they are pulling a gate ten or twenty minutes early, it's because the flight is full, or most likely, it got a weight restriction thrown on it so there is no reason to keep the door open since no other passengers or cargo can be put on due to the weight restriction. In that instance it won't matter if you are an employee traveling on business or not - weight restriction means exactly that.

So, compared to every other AA hub and small station I've flown through, one thing is evident - MIA is the dumping grounds for all the crap the rest of AA employees are too lazy to deal with.

WingNaPrayer said:
Well then I'm just curious . . . if the D3 already has the seat and their butt is in it, on time, and then you show up, do you expect the agent to pull the passenger out of their seat and give it to you?
[post="260121"][/post]​
They are on the list in the computer. It is in order of priority. In a short key stroke the agent can also in this case know the crew came in to and when to expecet them.
WingNaPrayer said:
#### about MIA all you like and lord knows I do every time I go through it, but it has the most weight restricted flights I've ever seen. Seats go out empty because cargo has weight restricted the flight and with fuel at a premium, they aren't packing extra pounds of it so they can haul butts and just burn off the fuel in the air to make up for the weight restriction. If they are pulling a gate ten or twenty minutes early, it's because the flight is full, or most likely, it got a weight restriction thrown on it so there is no reason to keep the door open since no other passengers or cargo can be put on due to the weight restriction. In that instance it won't matter if you are an employee traveling on business or not - weight restriction means exactly that.
[post="260121"][/post]​
I have never in my life been on a flight that left more than 5 mins early from its scheduled departure. They will not do it, it will mess up there reporting numbers. Regularly will finish with all passengers accounted for, sit open door for 10 mins waiting to close the door.
WingNaPrayer said:
So, compared to every other AA hub and small station I've flown through, one thing is evident - MIA is the dumping grounds for all the crap the rest of AA employees are too lazy to deal with.
[post="260121"][/post]​
Miami is nonrev night mare, but there are sometimes exceptions. An example of how 1 person screws the rest. Had a agent in Miami morning who checked the inbound crews for meal listings and then brought to the gate boarding passes for the commuters there outbound flights. Until one ATL commuter who was on a different inbound flight raised a fit and wrote up the agent. One thing to note only reason anyone ever got BP's is becuase the flights were open. Other wise just put on the list.

Not to get off the non rev issue, but I think the morale problem at AA has been caused by more important issues. Non-Revving has always been a key benefit to working for the airlines, but let's face it, %$^& the flying benefits.

Give me my salary, vacation and full sick time back and I'll gladly trade all my free flying for that.

FA Mikey said:
I have never in my life been on a flight that left more than 5 mins early from its scheduled departure. They will not do it, it will mess up there reporting numbers. Regularly will finish with all passengers accounted for, sit open door for 10 mins waiting to close the door.
[post="260126"][/post]​

In fact, it is now POLICY that a flight can not close the door and depart more than 5 minutes prior to scheduled departure time. At DFW before I was furloughed, they used to believe that if everyone is on board and the bags are on, get the heck out of Dodge.

However, the company discovered that in a lot of airports, leaving the gate early meant sitting on the taxiway longer waiting for a takeoff slot. I understand that the company is saving a substantial amount of fuel keeping the a/c at the gate until right before departure.

[
Give me my salary, vacation and full sick time back and I'll gladly trade all my free flying for that.
[post="260135"][/post]​
[/quote]

Dream on, Buddy. It's over. The only benny, you'll have left is the travel. AA will gladly sell a seat for $49.99 before giving it to you for N/R.

What AA should introduce is an optional benefit that an employee can take in lieu, of year around travel. Discount positive space travel, 25% discount of the lowest published rate during the last 30 days. No embargoes. Your booked, you go.

The discount would only be available during a employee's vacation period.

Everyone else. Sit down and wait your turn.

BTW, the moral sux throughout the entire industry. Yes, even at Jetblue and Southwest. ( I know I have friends there, after all the fun is over, reality sets in ).
It's like a loss of novacaine during a root canal at the Dentist.

McDonald workers get more respect.

FA Mikey said:
They are on the list in the computer. It is in order of priority. In a short key stroke the agent can also in this case know the crew came in to and when to expecet them.

It's been my personal experience in MIA that, thanks to the ineptness of the TSA, when to expect to get to your gate is a giant crap shoot!

FA Mikey said:

I have. Many times in MIA and it happens quite frequently on Eagle. When all passengers are aboard and counted for and luggage/cargo is loaded - that aircraft is closed up be it five minutes or 20. Doors closed, bridges pulled and brakes popped. The aircraft may dawddle at the gate, but that flight is closed and ready to go - as it should be. What is there to wait for?

FA Mikey said:
Miami is nonrev night mare, but there are sometimes exceptions.

No exceptions really. I've witnessed enough arguments between AA employees at the gates over demands for a free seat or whatever. It is my estimation that much of the discord that happens at gates between employees is for the same reason system wide - the company enjoys pitting you against each other and as such, AA employees generally hate each other's guts, especially between stations. It just blows me away how employees traveling can't get over the fact that the way things operate at another station doesn't necessarily mirror the way things operate at that employees home base. MIA is micro-management hell. Traveling employees need to realize that MIA is almost like a company unto itself. There isn't a passenger alive who hasn't heard an AA employee argument that always ends up with one saying to the other . . . . "this isn't how we do it in" . . . .name your station! Therefore, I'm convinced that MIA is the one AA operation that is under the poorest management teams AMR can throw together in a blender and pour over the mind numbing gene pool!

I listen when I travel and I know many of you do too, you especially listen to each other. I like a good juicy rumor but to hear that MIA is soon headed for yet another in it's long list of management replacement shake-ups means only one thing to me as a traveler, there will soon be a whole new set of rules that passengers on this funky airline are going to have to learn all over again if they have to fly through MIA.

I gladly drive my butt to FLL whenever possible and I don't regret the gas cost one bit - anything to avoid Hazy and that F*&^ed up nitemare he's turned MIA into!

As far as AA employees in MIA go, I think AA has some of their best people there, I really do - but their hands are tied, cuffed and shackled. I once heard a comment that went something like an employee in Chicago or Dallas couldn't do half the daily job description their counterparts in MIA have to put up with - and it's all due to micro-management. Any truth to that?

Thank GOD I work for SWA where our passes are still free for yourself parents spouse and buddy passes. Yeah yeah I know "But SWA doesn't fly international!" Who cares? When I do need to go outside the US I just buy a ticket...

continuous ignition said:
Thank GOD I work for SWA where our passes are still free for yourself parents spouse and buddy passes. Yeah yeah I know "But SWA doesn't fly international!" Who cares? When I do need to go outside the US I just buy a ticket...
[post="260151"][/post]​
A better deal by far at SWA. At AA employees are free in coach and a small charge for First. But for me I would rather buy a ticket to NYC, or MSP, VS GIG or LHR. If for no other reason than getting a premium cabin seat.

AAquila said:
What AA should introduce is an optional benefit that an employee can take in lieu, of year around travel. Discount positive space travel, 25% discount of the lowest published rate during the last 30 days. No embargoes. Your booked, you go.

The discount would only be available during a employee's vacation period.
[post="260145"][/post]​

Uh, you've already got that, but at a 20% discount. It's called an AA20.

Find the lowest fare, book it, and take 20% off that. You get pre reserved seats, miles, can take DBC offers, and show up wearing whatever you want without worrying about the fashion police accusing you of wearing what they think is unnacceptable. Can be used unlimited times thru the year for you, your kids, and your parents. My folks haven't used a D2P in years -- they'd rather buy the AA20 and get the FF miles. That saves the D3's for my in-laws and siblings.

Hopeful said:
Not to get off the non rev issue, but I think the morale problem at AA has been caused by more important issues. Non-Revving has always been a key benefit to working for the airlines, but let's face it, %$^& the flying benefits.

[post="260135"][/post]​
<_< Hopeless---- I'm just glad that's only your opinon!!! Like belly buttons, we all have one!!!!

Back