www.usaviation.com
This just in from the AFA E-Line to the membership:

Labor Day is Monday and working families are gearing
up to celebrate and rededicate ourselves to guaranteeing
that every worker has the freedom to form a union without
employer interference. We know that:

1. Union members earn 26 percent more than their nonunion
counterparts.

2. More than 75 percent of union workers have health benefits.
Less than half of nonunion workers have health coverage.

3. Nearly 70 percent of union workers have a pension.
Only 14 percent of nonunion workers have one.

4. The 10 states where unions are strongest have higher
earnings, better health coverage, less crime, more
civic participation, less poverty and better schools
than the 10 states where union membership is lowest.

5. That is why more and more of America's workers want
union jobs or want a union where they work. More than
42 million nonunion workers say they want to join a
union. However, employers often harass and intimidate
workers when they join together to form their union.
That is wrong, often illegal and most definitely a
violation of the human rights of those workers. Independent
research shows that,

6. 25 percent of employers illegally fire at least one
worker for union activity during organizing campaigns.

7. 75 percent of employers hire union-busters to fight
union organizing

8. 78 percent of employers force employees to attend one-on-one
meetings with their own supervisors against the union.

9. 52 percent of employers threaten to call the Immigration
and Naturalization Service during organizing that includes
undocumented workers.

10. 51 percent of companies threaten to close the plant
if the union wins the election, however, less than
1 percent ever actually do that.

These facts are outrageous and represent a growing
human rights crisis. Over the next seven days, we're
going to send you three e-mails with information and
opportunities to make your voice heard for workers'
rights at this special time of year. Look for more,
including:

An action alert asking you to take action to help workers
involved in one of the country's toughest fights by
workers to form a union,

A tour guide of special features, resources and fun
things to do on the AFL-CIO website,

Finally, on Labor Day we'll launch the next phase of
our campaign to block the Bush administration's overtime
pay cuts.

You can check out special Labor Day features on the
AFL-CIO website right now. Just visit: http://www.aflcio.org/

Thanks for all you do.

Don't forget to participate and walk in the Labor Day Parade in your City.

In Pittsburgh AFA will be walking in front of the IAM. We will be wearing bright orange t-shirts that read "KEEP MAINLINE JOBS IN PITTSBURGH", with our green ribbons. :p

PITbull said:
In Pittsburgh AFA will be walking in front of the IAM. We will be wearing bright orange t-shirts that read "KEEP MAINLINE JOBS IN PITTSBURGH", with our green ribbons. :p
Who paid for these t-shirts? Union dues? :down: Where are the other locals in their support for the IAM? DCA? BOS? CLT? Guess it is only PHL and PIT :D

PITbull said:
"Middle finger up" :up:
LOL, good luck Pit!! Looks like Analysts mom forgot to password protect the internet again!! It's comical to hear non-union folk in the industry crow about how they get X amount of pay without a union while never realizing that the only reason they get that pay is because a UNION has negotiated a similar scale somewhere else.

I pay my NON UNION employees 100% of their health benefits, competetive wages, a good clean working environment, I leave them alone to do their jobs, and I like them. We work together to get the job done...production. I give them a portion of the production...bonuses. If I make money, they make money. There is another world out there, short of the confrontational we versus them mentality. You'ens Keep on keeping on, untill you have nothing to keep.

Yeap UNIONS ARE WORTH IT......

My station is and for all that went Mainline Express.

We got a great pay rate at the bargaining table......

I go from $19.50 per hour down to $13.01 per hour
Plus pay $175 dollars per month for health care and it will go up every
year while my pay stays the same.

Plus,my union dues stay at $40.00 per month...

WHAT A GREAT DEAL.........

The comapny loves my union........

They smile all the way to the bank.

While i go to personl broke.....

autofixer said:
I pay my NON UNION employees 100% of their health benefits, competetive wages, a good clean working environment, I leave them alone to do their jobs, and I like them. We work together to get the job done...production. I give them a portion of the production...bonuses. If I make money, they make money. There is another world out there, short of the confrontational we versus them mentality. You'ens Keep on keeping on, untill you have nothing to keep.
I am glad it works for you and yours. I have had the opportunity to work in both situations...with and without a union. I can tell you this....the company that I worked for WAS FAR WORSE OFF than we would have been if we were unionized. Unions are only as strong as their members support. Also, this tyrant of a management team would have bled us dry if our unions weren't around. So maybe those bitching about going from $19 to $13 an hour, you could be down to $10 with NO ONE and I mean NO ONE to stop them. Yes, many of us feel that we have been screwed (and I think we were). The unions did the best that they could with a HORRIBLE situation. I saw NOBODY stepping up to the plate when the balls starting flying. Just a bunch of catchers making remarks to the batters.

Dog, if you did not have a union you probably would not have the choice of moving to keep your mainline status, or staying in your station at mainline express which you and your coworkers ratified.

Think back to 92 and what you gave Schofield.

Do you have your sick time, OI and vacation back?

Do you have your pension?

Do you have a grievance procedure?

Do you miss the PPG?

It is easy to sit at a computer and throw stones, but how easily you forget how bad it was and the gains you have made.

Lavman,

I don't throw stones......

Just face the facts......

I didn't vote for this contract it was JUNK.

What a deal this contract is lose $6.50 per hour.

And another Great Deal pick up and move.

Yeah right....

WITH A COMPANY THAT HAS MORE PLANS TO MAKE MORE MAINLINE EXPRESS
STATIONS AND HURT MORE CO-WORKERS.

It's a shame alot of people have no trust in what anybody says.

I wish this company would just tell the TRUTH.

Lav,
I, personally, miss almost everything pre 1998. I have a HUGE problem with they way they divied out the classifications, and my life has been a living hell and it keeps getting worse. They took the pensions away and replaced them with something less appealing. Seniority wasn't defined in the traditional sense.
I cant sign on to the assumption that everything is better since the total unionization of U. I can agree that it could have been much worse, however, if you look at DL, I havent heard that they are being flushed into blue storage.
For that matter, Im not sure why those without unions arent being abused more. Maybe it has to do with morale as a benifit to the company. Something U doesnt want or need.

Reacc,

Reason DL does well with their employees is because the harder unionized workers push, the higher DL's wage and benefits go, just to keep their workers with no union.

So you see, indirectly, Unions have a positve effect in the non-union environment.

No matter, unions come on properties where there is bad management. Period. When you work for a corporation that has "fair minded" reasonable, and my favorite quality, "honorable" management, you DO NOT NEED a union.

Presently here at U, we have Lorenzo's offsprings.

Hey PITbull,

I usually agree with you, but I gotta challenge you when you said

"When you work for a corporation that has "fair minded" reasonable, and my favorite quality, "honorable" management, you DO NOT NEED a union."

I disagree. Even if you work for an honorable employer, it's best to have a union so workers can have a democratic voice in the workplace. At best an honorable employer without a union is a benevolent and paternalistic dictatorship.

And no matter how cool and honorable management might be at any particular company, that management could change (either by being replaced with incompetent hacks or by changing behavior). Even the workers over at Southwest (100% unionized) are facing that sort of shift in management behavior right now. Had they no union, the Southwest flight attendants would now be working much longer days.

No matter how cool and smart and sensitive management is, there is NO WAY any worker should think that management can represent their day to day interests!

In solidarity,
-Airlineorphan

Airlineorphan,

In the long run, Unionization of workers is necessary in all corporate work places. You are correct. There always needs to be EMPLOYEE voice heard in the work place. Some work places allow employees to speak and create change for the betterment of the worker and thus the company. Very difficult to unionize workers who are very happy with the employer, such as SW.

Since USAirways managment is taking credit for revolutionizing the industry by busting contracts by any means known to man kind, SW is feeling this pressure as well.

As the AFA PIT President wrote out to her members during the summer and winter concessions, there will be a "domino effect" in the Airline industry if we allow this management to get away with this "unchallenged".

When referring to Jerry G. "the hired union buster" at U, her last sentence in her 4 page newsletter to the members read:

" Will I facilitate him in piercing the very heart of our contract".....N-E-V-E-R!

(1. Union members earn 26 percent more than their nonunion
counterparts. )

I have NOT had a raise in 3 years :(

(3. Nearly 70 percent of union workers have a pension.
Only 14 percent of nonunion workers have one.)

Not in the 70% here <_<

(9. 52 percent of employers threaten to call the Immigration
and Naturalization Service during organizing that includes
undocumented workers. )

OK? no problem send them back home

(10. 51 percent of companies threaten to close the plant
if the union wins the election, however, less than
1 percent ever actually do that. )

Well i guess im in the 1 % eg. piedmont