Why we are in this business.

Why I stay? The unusual (and flexible) schedules, seeing our earth from 35,000 feet up, every take-off and landing, quiet time with no obligations on layovers, the camradarie with all other airline employees (US and all others). The ability to get the job done without direct supervision, only ones own intitiative and creativity, sharing in the excitement of our customer's first flights, our military people coming home etc.
Thanks for the chance to share the good because there is PLENTY of "why do I put myself through this?....." LOL ;)

Beautifully said - I feel the same way!!

I got here by accident but stayed because I actually like it. I like meeting new people, enjoy my coworkers and not being stuck in a 9 to 5 routine.

I like challenges and as anyone who's in the airline biz knows, every day has its own set of something "special".

I find something to laugh about every day at work. Some days it's harder but most of the time, I have fun.

I've had the opportunity to learn so much about people, places and cultures. It's still amazing to me see the differences in regions just miles apart.

I've enjoyed being able to make a difference in someone's day. A smile goes a long way.

Over the years, I've had times of "career review" when I've thought about leaving this crazy industry and doing something else. But so far, I'm happy being here.

Dea

Great replies!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on why this business is worthwhile. It is great to read the positives and negatives. We all have our strengths and IMO we play to them daily as we go about the business of "airline." It is a great business because of all the things we, as a team, do daily.

I agree with Eric…â€￾I've always been associated with the "best" and I don't intend on settling for anything less.â€￾ I am committed to do my part (small though it may be) toward being the best in spite of the naysayers.

My hopes for the New Year are for healing of old wounds and melding of two cultures to make US one great place to work.

I should have qualified my statement. I'm going thru a martial separation and sold my home to divide the property. Sorry it wasn't due to a cut in wages. My mistake. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. My point WAS the job is important BUT REPLACEABLE. Family is NOT. Once again...Happy New Year Pit :D
For Eric (to be read with tongue firmly in cheek):

Sixteen reasons why airplanes are easier to live with than women:

1) Airplanes usually kill you quickly - a woman takes her time.

2) Airplanes can be turned on by a flick of a switch.

3) Airplanes don't get mad if you do a "touch and go."

4) Airplanes don't object to a preflight inspection.

5) Airplanes come with manuals to explain their operation.

6) Airplanes have strict weight and balance limitations.

7) Airplanes can be flown any time of the month.

8) Airplanes don't come with in-laws.

9) Airplanes don't care about how many other airplanes you've flown (or "worked on") before.

10) Airplanes and pilots both arrive at the same time.

11) Airplanes don't mind if you look at other airplanes.

12) Airplanes don't mind if you buy airplane magazines.

13) Airplanes expect to be tied down.

14) Airplanes don't comment on your piloting (or mechanical) skills.

15) Airplanes don't whine unless something is really wrong.

16) However, when airplanes go quiet, just like women,it's usually not good.

Why do I love this industry? See above!

I agree with everything smmech says above.

I'm realitively new to the commericial avaiation side, but fixing fighters for 20 plus years ....well fixing airplanes...there just isn't anything like it. Currently I don't put my hands on the aircraft, but I feel as though I'm just as responsible for getting the aircraft fixed right the first time.

We all know that East has been thru very tough times and we have many here at West that have seen them too. The business is cyclic, but the "good ole" days of the past (of which many never knew including myself) have been forever altered. If you can't adapt to your current wages or work conditions then I strongly suggest you find other employment. I don't want to sound cold, but that is reality. For those of us who are going to stay we'll need to work together to build the best airline in the industry. I've always been associated with the "best" and I don't intend on settling for anything less. Time to roll up the sleeves and get busy!
Are you saying you get a government paycheck every month and government benefits?

[quote name='EricLv2Fish' date='Dec 31 2005, 07:46 AM' post='337270'
I'm realitively new to the commericial avaiation side, but fixing fighters for 20 plus years [/quote]
I have work with a lot of career government employees who have a hard time dealing with public air transportation

To the original poster:

It is not my experience that customers hate me. I actually find the public to be rather kind and I am amazed that after they have been jerked around with broken onboard entertainment, long delays due to maintenance and/or weather, and other service disruptions, then walk off the plane with a smile on their face and utter, "great flight." Of course, I try to live by some spiritual laws which work for me. When I bestow kindness, it is often reflected back to me in the words and deeds of others. When I give abundantly, I usually get back abundantly. So, for the most part, my perception of the public at large (in this case, airline passengers) is that 99.8% of them are quite civil and kind.

I was on a voluntary furlough from United for 2 years with full benefits...medical, dental, travel, and seniority accrual...during my time off, there wasn't a day that went by where I did not awake each morning and be in gratitude for having a job which allowed me to be off for a couple of years with full benefits (all the while United was limbering in prolonged bankruptcy proceedings). In the real world (read corporate America), that doesn't usually happen. During my time off, I happened to work for a CEO of a small company as his executive assistant. Having spent time in the corporate world working for a high-strung, type-A workaholic, with no balance in his life and who treated his clients and contractors with utter disdain and contempt, I have to say getting back on board an airplane, serving a few customers in first class cocktails and dinner, and then laying over in places like Maui, Kauai, Honolulu, Frankfurt, Chicago, Boston, etc. and getting paid for it...in spite of the give-backs, the pension dump, the shorter vacations...for me, it's still a pretty damn good gig (compared to what I have seen out there).

On my second trip back from furlough, I happened to be on a long layover in Hawaii (Kauai). Thinking that my days in this job might be numbered, I decided I'd seize the opportunity to take a sight-seeing helicopter tour over the island. When I called one tour operator to ask if they gave discounts to airline crewmembers, after some brief questioning by the telephone representative, she offered to give me a comped helicopter tour (read free). I was picked up at my layover hotel and then boarded a helicopter that flew me down into the crevices of Waimea Canyon, along the shoreline of the Napali Coast, down into waterfalls, up to the tops of volcanoes. It was nothing short of magical. So, to answer your question, it's moments such as this that keep me in this job. Happy New Year... ;)

Jamake1, I share your experience and agree that our customers are generally super and extremely patent with us. I used that comment as part of the lead in only because there seems to be a sentiment that forgets who pays our salary. If I was off base, I apologize.

Thanks for sharing a great experience.

Latest posts

Back