Will Alaska Match Flyi's Fares?

Will Alaska match Independence Air's fares SEA-WAS?

• Yes, they will match fully.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AS will match partially, with lower booking codes.

• No, AS is a price setter, not a price taker.

• Total voters

whlinder

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
IAD
www.playandmusic.com
FlyI's WAS-west coast fares are less than Alaska's fares by a pretty big amount, over $200 less for unrestricted Y (though FlyI has no fully refundable fare, everything has a $25 change, but it is their highest fare) each way, and by over a $100 on the cheapest RT. This is the first time that Alaska has faced a LCC on a trancons between the same airports, as AS flies SEA-EWR while B6 flies SEA-JFK.

Alaska's new fare structure was designed to be less reactionary and not change every time a competitor changed fares. It was also designed to encourage customers to buy higher fares that carry less restrictions. United has matched FlyI, but with lower end booking codes. Will Alaska match FlyI?

I think what happens in this market will be very interesting as we will see whether or not AS sticks to their new fare philosophy or if they feel they have to match. I'm betting they don't, as they seem to think they are a price setter in the marketplace.

I sure hope they do. :) I have a trip planned to DC this summer, but haven't bought the tix yet.

:lol: Yeah, you shoulda. It's interesting that AS, CO, and NW have thus far held out.

whlinder said:
AS matched last night with lower booking codes, and only to IAD...
[post="246812"][/post]​

It's a no-brainer, actually. Their fare action may stimulate additional demand on what's been a poorly-performing market (SEA-IAD, anyway), and AS uses much larger equipment - meaning they can offer more discount seats than DH even has in their equipment TOTAL, and then sell the remaining seats at the walkup YASG fare of $499.00 one way. :D

I thought the 900 only served IAD in the summer, and the rest of the year it was a 700, which is roughly the same size, if not smaller capacity due to F, than the FlyI A319?

whlinder said:
I thought the 900 only served IAD in the summer, and the rest of the year it was a 700, which is roughly the same size, if not smaller capacity due to F, than the FlyI A319?
[post="248259"][/post]​

You're right - I just worked the flight three nights ago and it was a -700. We had 12//37 on the SEA-IAD flight and 6/27 on the IAD-SEA flight. I can't see why we would continue service to IAD much longer. The planes are just empty.

Ouch, that can't be good. It is the low low low season for SEA though. IIRC the 2nd IAD flight switched to DCA back in June? That is when the DCA-LAX flight started.

Here are some IAD-SEA passenger numbers for Alaska, by month:

Jan: 7347
Feb: 7212
Mar: 9707
Apr: 10997
May: 12926
Jun: 9264
Jul: 9378
Aug: 8907
Sep: 6287
Oct: 5740
Nov: 5012
Dec: 5281

The data is listed as 'Total Passengers' and it must be both arriving and departing, since 120 x 31 = 3720. With the 700 that would be 7440 seats available in a 31 day month. In December that would be a 71% load factor, and in July with the 900 it would be a healthy 88%. But for last February it would be 52% since there were 2 daily flights back then.

I'd hate to see them lose IAD service for personal reasons (we try to get to SEA once a year and its a pretty easy flight to non-rev). Hopefully it will survive past the cold winter and have success again in the summer.