WN announces CLT schedule

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Beginning April 14, 2013, Southwest Airlines Nonstop Service will be offered between:

Charlotte and Baltimore/Washington, Chicago (Midway), Houston (Hobby), and Orlando

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/10/22/3614327/southwest-airlines-to-begin-clt.html

I wonder how USAir will respond. They seem to coexist with WN just fine at PHL and PHX.

Josh

US has very little in BWI anymore, Huston and Chicago are to different airports so hard to say how that will shake out. Orlando US flights are packed normally so the US commuters will probably love to see another few jump seats to and from work! :)

Houston is interesting for United, since the local gov't in Houston allowing International flights to/from Hobby. And in response United cut some flights and staff

WN has retreated from many markets in PHL when they couldn't make those US stronghold routes work for them (PIT, BOS, LAX, etc.). It's not surprising that they are starting service from CLT to 3 of their hubs plus MCO, a big tourist destination where many people shop purely on price.

This is not an aggressive SWA moving into CLT this is them taking over Airtran routes. Do not think you will see anything more than to HUB flights.

If I was SWA I would double down on Houston, the public and the politicians are not beholden to United like they were to CAL. I'd not only max out HOU I'd move strongly into IAH at least for short haul flights.

Back