WN at IAD

flyingman

Jan 29, 2007
when will swa add more flights to Dulles!? UGH! i must say I am a swa fan but I am disapointed in what we are doing at Dulles I thought we would be adding news citys to Dulles by now? Or was the whole point just to do Flordia market and chicago and vegas markets? I just don't understand SWA CEO whole idea going to IAD. Are we planning to build SWA at Dulles like BWI and own that place too! I HOPE! I now wonder if it was a mistake to Go to IAD (Dulles? if anyone knows what the heck SWA is doing at/with IAD would love to know!

From what I was told when IAD was first announced, it is never expected to be BWI-sized. Southwest has 2 beautiful and newly-constructed terminals at BWI and I'm sure they'll be used to their full potential. I doubt Southwest would even be at IAD if Fly-I was still there. But that's just a guess.

i just don't understand then what there doing then with Dulles?! was it a mistake to go to Dulles?

i just don't understand then what there doing then with Dulles?! was it a mistake to go to Dulles?
There MO of late has been to go after the weak one's. They went into PHL when USAir was down and it paid off, then to DEN, IAD when UA was down. Now that all the airlines have cut costs I don't expect you'll see WN jump on top of anyone. They will probably build up there existing network with additional frequencies where there isn't the big competition.

are they planning to grow dulles with new citys or are they just interrested in airfares at the special regions like the following states IL(MIDWAY AIRPORT) NV (LAS VEGAS AIRPORT) and Flordia (TAMPA ORLANDO AIRPORTS ) out of washington Dulles. Iam waiting for coast to cost to DC to CA direct! lets have som competition!! united is too much $$ for nonstop out of dulles i think!

are they planning to grow dulles with new citys or are they just interrested in airfares at the special regions like the following states IL(MIDWAY AIRPORT) NV (LAS VEGAS AIRPORT) and Flordia (TAMPA ORLANDO AIRPORTS ) out of washington Dulles. Iam waiting for coast to cost to DC to CA direct! lets have som competition!! united is too much $$ for nonstop out of dulles i think!
AA has weekend fares for $199RT IAD-LAX. They happen about every other month, but still not a bad deal.

one proble iam a swa fan and want to see SWA AT IAD GROW!!!

Thanks, Greg, I mean 'flyingman'.

I think I'd have to cut you off the caffiene, if you were onboard my aircraft. :blink:

You're not going to get any answers, about SWA route strategy, on a forum like this. As I told you on another topic, we're all just guessing here.

One of the reasons SWA has been successful has been slow, sustained growth. We'll grow at IAD when we can do so profitably, and not a second sooner. With 37 aircraft coming, this year, we simply don't have planes to do all the routes we 'could'.

If you want a good outlet, write your desire to SWA directly. Our letter writing staff will take the time to give you a nice response that (sorry) STILL won't reveal any route secrets.

Thanks for being a fan. I am too. :D

There's plenty of cities where Southwest only operates a handful of daily flights. What's the big deal? I'm sure the "Powers That Be" knew wat they were doing when the decision was made.

Why do you think they're at IAD? To be a thorn in UA's side, that's why. Do you think it's mere coincidence that Southwest has invaded 3 UA hubs in the last 9-12 months? They smell opportunity. They smell weakness. And until UA proves it can competitively hold its own in common markets, I would expect more WN competitive strikes going forward. Keep in mind that Southwest has effectively tapped the small and midsized, underserved markets. They can no longer profitably expand into those types of markets. So they are setting their sights on markets that are high-revenue and a bit higher cost. Markets that would have seemed anti-Southwest 10-15 years ago. Places like IAD, PHL, DEN, SFO. All higher-cost cities. But more than that, these are high revenue cities entrenched by hub carriers that are vulnerable. Gotta love their moxie.

Why do you think they're at IAD? To be a thorn in UA's side, that's why. Do you think it's mere coincidence that Southwest has invaded 3 UA hubs in the last 9-12 months? They smell opportunity. They smell weakness. And until UA proves it can competitively hold its own in common markets, I would expect more WN competitive strikes going forward.

SWA sure must have a big nose to smell so well. Too bad they don't use that nose for other things that would help them.

If they are doing so well at IAD then why do they have such a miserable showing? No growth and a clinging presence is hardly a earth shattering involvement at IAD. It appears B6 has a better position at IAD than SWA. B6 is in many head to head UA markets and they do a pretty good job of it. SWA is but an afterthought to the NOVA crowd. One thing about the people in NOVA is they like to be treated like they are special. Something about the area that has turned them into believing they are somehow better than the rest of the country. I true NOVA snob would not be caught dead boarding an SWA jet. They either want to be 1K's on UAL or they will reward themselves with a nice comfy TV B6 flight. Flying SWA to NOVA is like riding Greyhound or shopping at WALMART. They won't do it.

Perhaps if the Hanes Wife Beater futures go up in NOVA then SWA may have a chance of generating some grip. In the mean time their "noses" will be bloodied by the other carriers at IAD.

Back