Yyc Air Fair

graunch1

Veteran
Mar 30, 2003
:mellow: I saw this advertizement for a job fair/networking night in YYC
http://members.shaw.ca/pegasuspresentations/

it is put on myTom Zeiser of Westex in YVR. Apparently there has been one in YVR. Has anyone gone to that one or is this another out-of-work pilot <_< trying his luck at something new?/ It costs $26 to attend

I attended the YVR Air Fair although I am not looking for a job (but you never know what will come tomorrow). For $26 I think it will be well worth your 13 Twoonies, if nothing else than for the networking oportunity alone-- reps from those airline listed on the left corner will be there (be sure to take copies of your resume and dress presentably) to talk to you. The presentation follows a "motivational" theme in spite of what is going on these days. Some parts a little corny, but otherwise good. There will of course be a bit of a commercial undercurrent (flight schools encouraging you not to give up on being a pro pilot) but if you are in the Calgary area, you ought to check it out.

I attended the Calgary Air Fair.

For someone not looking for work (myself) I thought the price (nearly $40. at the door) was a little steep. I found the presentations interesting, but would have liked, for the price, to hear from a few more individuals.

The mix was good, and it was good to hear the effort (reality check) involved in getting to where these individuals are:
Kevin Holands - Westjet, Ken Hanneson - Corporate Express, and Tom Zeiser - Westex

There were a lot of would be pilots there, and most were very attentive. I think that those who really listened would have gotten some valuable information from what they heard.

There were, as usual, a number of individuals there who seemed to think that this was a forum for their individual input, or to entertain those seated around them. That I found quite annoying (kind of like those who talk in the theatre). I suspect that these individuals would tell you that it wasn't worth the money. That is, of course, unless this was the only time anyone has sat still long enough for them to say how great they are.

Generally I say, "Good work Tom, for organizing this event!". And yes I think it would be good to make it an annual event, possibly switching between Calgary and Edmonton, or maybe just move it to Red Deer.

Cheers. :up:

Was it a good forum for networking? Or more bluntly- hitting up a whole bunch of chief pilots for jobs at the same time thereby saving yourself a ton of travel time? I am trying to move to Calgary (but need a job there first), so considered flying in from Toronto for the event. I decided not to as I was unsure if it was just a presentation type thing or the career fair type that I was looking for.
I love listening to knowledgeable speakers and hearing basically anything about aviation, but couldn't justify (obviously) flying all the way out to YYC just for organized "hangar talk".
You said for someone not looking for work the price was steep. For someone looking for work it was...
Did I miss a good opportunity because I'm cheap (or poor)?

I don't think you missed a good oportunity (any oportunity is a good oportunity).

The cost of flying out from TO would have made it disappointing, in my opinion. There were a number of individuals from a number of different companies there, but I would be surprised if anyone has a new job now as a result.

I think the main advantage was for those attending to get first hand information about what potential employers are looking for. Naturally every employer has his or her own set of requirements, and that may have been the best lesson learned.

Everyone wants to know what the best approach is , and no one knows what every employer is looking for.

The simple answer is go with what you have, be sincere, never give up.

Cheers
:hide:

Dockjock;

Fortunatly for myself I found out about the YYC Air Fair through this very thread. I flew from Ottawa to Calgary just for this very event. (I won a prize because of it! :up: ) However in retrospect, I'd have to say if your paying full fare to get out to Calgary from Toronto for it, I'd say save your money. The main reason I flew out there, was because I got cheap seats having worked for WestJet in the past. If you can get out there for cheap, go for it!

It was definatly a great opportunity to network, find out what exactly employers are looking for, listen to some great motivational speakers and even have some of those very employers look over your resume and give opinions on it. However I wouldn't go expecting or even hoping to walk out with a job. In fact, as it turned out for me, most of the best contacts I made there were from fellow pilots attending the event!

I definatly hope to see another event like this in the future, but only if I can get there for cheap :)

NEOLYNX
winning a prize for travelling the furthest to get there may be a reason to attend again.

It was sad to see that no one new who Mike from Canmore was, but I was one of them. Never liked Airfarce. Then he called out the wrong numbers on the tickets. I had a ticket with number 1 on it but realized there were others with the same number, so when he called it I sat there like a lump instead of getting up with the other guy. :up:

I heard that it was a waste of time From a maintenance point of view . I did not go but talked to an apprentice AME who thought it was a waste of $$$$$$$$$$$.

The AME Symposiums provide a better venue for the AME world as they typically have over 500 attendees at most of these 2 day events and cost the same.

I would imagine for the piloting types it would have been better than nothing as I don't think they have anything similar tot he AME shows

Ya i'd have to say the entire event was geared to pilots as opposed to AME's. I mean I did speak to the Maintenance Direction of Bar XH, but he was the only one I saw there aside from the motivational speaker. Mostly just Chief pilots, Director of Flight Ops and so on.

There is no argument from me here.

The proof will come if this event is held on a regular basis. The attendance was mostly Pilots, or should I say Pilots in waiting.

Tom said that up until the last minute he had no idea how many people would attend. The success (or perceived success) of this event will possibly generate a larger turnout next time, and the event will grow (or die, unfortunately). I think it was good, and I think it has potential. More of a trade fair atmosphere might work where each of the companies represented could set up a booth where prospective new hires could gather might work. This would probably only work if the industry was expanding rapidly and the companies were in need of new pilots, AMEs and others.

The flight schools would be there trying to lure students for advanced training. SAIT and NAIT could put up a display for there respective programs, and one of the things that I was hoping to see was some information on the Aerospace Industry that is active in Alberta.

This would make it more of a Trade Show than a Job Fair, but it might generate a greater crowd. It would open many eyes to the wide range of industry (aviation related) that is active in Alberta.

Just a Thought.

As neolynx illustrated-- don't just think as "networking" as sucking up to Chief Pilots or hobnobbing with company owners. It goes a lot further-- and not just with people who you see as being "above you."

Years ago I befriended a pilot while I was looking for my first flying job-- he already had a few seasons on Beavers on floats (a rough and ready bush pilot) and was about to move into a Navajo job. Guess what, these days I have more time than him, I'm working, he's out of work, and he sees where I work at as "the dream job." I'll be pulling hard for him when a vacancy opens up here. ;)

Latest posts

Back