4 day workweeks for CWA full timers

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
As many readers know, the company and CWA have agreed on four day compressed workweeks for full timers, subject to it working with staffing needs.
A number of studies show that compressed workweeks have lead to improved morale and productivity as well as reduced absenteeism. It also has a "green" effect by reducing employee weekly commute miles.

From what has been posted on this board it appears that only few stations actually offer compressed workweeks or offer them only to supervisors. The reason given by the station management range from "Workbrain can't be programed for it" to "the regional directors don't like it" and "it drives up overtime". (If that reason is true why did the company agree to compressed work weeks?).

Can the fine posters on this board shed light on what stations offer (or have offerered) this schedule and what, if any, problems resulted?

granted there a clause in the contract for the 4 day 3 day off but its up to local management. given the staffing constraints and with the turnover of employees the company has local management really cant plan such a thing maybe back when, when we had senior folks and folks who were going to stick around for awhile but those day are long gone.. remember Mule said.. This is not a career ... its a JOB. but of course he retired from the business after 36 years... i guess it wasnt a career for him.. also when you only have a limited amount of supervisors in a station then its easier to work around them than 10-60 agents.. even though the UNIONIZED supervisors really dont abide to the contract as management treats them like management but i hear that is going to change ... more shift managers...the fleet leads i hear in most stations are 4 on 3 off but not the non lead fleets folks

granted there a clause in the contract for the 4 day 3 day off but its up to local management. given the staffing constraints and with the turnover of employees the company has local management really cant plan such a thing maybe back when, when we had senior folks and folks who were going to stick around for awhile but those day are long gone.. remember Mule said.. This is not a career ... its a JOB. but of course he retired from the business after 36 years... i guess it wasnt a career for him.. also when you only have a limited amount of supervisors in a station then its easier to work around them than 10-60 agents.. even though the UNIONIZED supervisors really dont abide to the contract as management treats them like management but i hear that is going to change ... more shift managers...the fleet leads i hear in most stations are 4 on 3 off but not the non lead fleets folks

Latest posts