$45 A Barrel Oil On The Way....

I recently was talking to a friend of mine and we both think that shale oil will be used to get the fuel cell technology going. They haven't found a really viable way to get hydrogen cheaply without the use of fossil fuels. They could use the shale strictly for that, sparing the rest of us $100/barrel when they would start diverting reg from the marketplace.

MSNBC reported that Hurricane Katrina will be only the fourth Category 5 hurricane to hit the U.S. In an interview, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin told MSNBC that 25 to 30% of the nation’s oil refining capacity flows through the state. The hurricane has the potential to fundamentally change oil prices with a material reduction in supply.

This could cause a significant change in the industry. Moreover, it’s my understanding United Airlines may be shopping its TED unit and the new US Airways is a potential suitor because it would keep TED's revenue within the Domestic and Star Alliance. Will it happen? I do not know. Is it being discussed outside the company by informed sources? Yes.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

You never cease to amaze me.

Ted is not a seperate airline, it operates of UAL's opertating certificate and uses UAL's A320s.

And UAL just recieved $3 billion in exit financing, and an extension of the exclusivity period and they are expanding TED's operation.

And for crying out loud stop with the United airlines crap all ready, everyone on the board it tired of it.

And you just posted in another topic about not posting rumors and you do the samething.

Don't let the facts get in the way.

Shale oil at $45/barrel sounds great.

I think the companies that manage to extract this $45/barrel oil, when the world market price is in the $80+ range, will more than likely just charge the going rate and pocket the "excess" $35/barrel. Kind of like Bush's Texas oil buddies are doing right now. The cost to produce Texas (or Oklahoma, or Lousiana, etc.) oil has not skyrocketed, it's simply the demand for finite supplies. Hence, obscene profits are being had by all producers worldwide. Economics 101: Supply and Demand.

Unless China and India decide not to move forward with industrialization and return to the middle ages, any oil produced anywhere will be very quickly purchased and consumed keeping the prices high.

USA320Pilot said:
MSNBC reported that Hurricane Katrina will be only the fourth Category 5 hurricane to hit the U.S. In an interview, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin told MSNBC that 25 to 30% of the nation’s oil refining capacity flows through the state. The hurricane has the potential to fundamentally change oil prices with a material reduction in supply.

This could cause a significant change in the industry. Moreover, it’s my understanding United Airlines may be shopping its TED unit and the new US Airways is a potential suitor because it would keep TED's revenue within the Domestic and Star Alliance. Will it happen? I do not know. Is it being discussed outside the company by informed sources? Yes.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="293690"][/post]​

:lol:

"Moreover?" Did I miss something? Why the segue into "information" about UA? What does that have to do with anything on this thread?

:rolleyes:

I put "information" in quotes because it is really just silly unsubstantiated rumor -- that doesn't even make any sense -- being spouted by the master, USA320Reserve, who apparently doesn't realize that Ted is a marketing gimmick and a paint scheme, not a severable "unit" of UA any more than U's B737 fleet is a separate "unit" of U. And it is being discussed "outside" the company? Is that supposed to add credibility to the statement? :D

But let me get this straight. U and HP are about to do a huge, complicated, costly, messy merger. So for fun they are going to try to integrate a THIRD entity while they are doing all that?

:rolleyes:

Unbelievable.

Furloughedagain said:
We could always buy a Deisel Jetta, find a McDonalds manager who wants to give away his old grease and brew our own fuel.  ;)

http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/
[post="293699"][/post]​

Well, you could, but somebody thought of it before you did. :( I know a guy in Houston who has made a fortune recycling old oil from multiple sources--vegetable oil from restaurants, used oil and grease from service stations/repair shops, etc.

When he started this company 30 years ago, everyone predicted he would lose his shirt, his house, and his first-born. However, timing is everything. He had been struggling along for about a year or so when restaurants/service stations/etc started getting major fines for pouring their used grease in the sewer system. It wasn't the pollution factor so much as the greases would cool off, congeal, and clog up the sewer system. In Houston where a heavy dew can cause street flooding, we don't like to have clogged storm sewer systems. :lol:

He makes money on both ends. McDonald's, et al, pay him to haul off the used oil and grease and other customers pay him for the cleaned up/recycled oils and greases. Can't get much better than having a demand for your product and being paid to accept the raw materials.

I wasn't thinking of commercial applications so-much as an in-home bio-diesel factory. There are setups you can buy for as little as $250 that (with the use of a 50 gal water heater and a few drums) will allow you to create your own bio-diesel using old cooking oil, methanol, and lye.

Works in any old diesel engine for about .70 cents per gallon.

I was kinda joking, but hey -- if anybody gets one of these things to work, let me know! I'd love to know if its legit.

Oil is trading at $70, 7Pm Sunday night...

S&P and the Nasdaq Futures both down...

NYMEX unleaded is up $0.20 or so...

Is this the final spike up to the mid-70 these next few days, then rolling over?!

Me thinks so; consumers sure are starting to suffer, just listen to what Wal Mart and a lot of other businesses said a couple of weeks ago when they projected lower earnings because of weaker demands, blaming it on high oil prices.

We shall see...

SoftLanding

Busdrvr said:
Well then, what is the solution from the left?  Oh yeah, I forgot, everybody gets a prius to drive one way back to a cave.  Oh but then we'd burn wood, so one way back to the cave to freeze to death..... :rolleyes:
[post="293522"][/post]​

Hmmm, the Prius sounds like a good start to me. And the right's solution? Drive Hummers and monster SUVs and drink up as much gas as possible? Keep mileage standards low because that's what Detroit and Big Oil want? Write the nation's energy policy behind closed doors with your buddies from the energy companies?

Furloughedagain said:
I wasn't thinking of commercial applications so-much as an in-home bio-diesel factory. There are setups you can buy for as little as $250 that (with the use of a 50 gal water heater and a few drums) will allow you to create your own bio-diesel using old cooking oil, methanol, and lye.

Works in any old diesel engine for about .70 cents per gallon.

I was kinda joking, but hey -- if anybody gets one of these things to work, let me know! I'd love to know if its legit.
[post="293819"][/post]​

It actually is a good idea, but I would be willing to bet that zoning ordinances/ safety ordinances/deed restrictions most anywhere except out in a rural area would prevent you from setting one up in your home. At least 2 of your basic ingredients are highly flammable, and lye is not your local ecology's friend. :p