4th qtr earnings

gaucho99

Senior
Dec 21, 2006
Has anyone heard what to expect for thr 4th qtr? I'm assuming little or no profit, perhaps a loss. Just hope it's not a big loss. For 2008, Doug says we will spend $800 million more in fuel than we did in 2007. Going to be a tough year.

Has anyone heard what to expect for thr 4th qtr? I'm assuming little or no profit, perhaps a loss. Just hope it's not a big loss. For 2008, Doug says we will spend $800 million more in fuel than we did in 2007. Going to be a tough year.

How can you expect a profit for the 4th Qtr when according to the Financial Times, US Airways paid $ 59.4 Million for two gates at LHR that they bought from Alitalia. See the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22401252/

Hopefully, that extra cost will be passed on to our passengers. No reason why this hasn't been done already.

That's a ton of money for the right to land there. But I don't think that is included in the operating profit/loss report.

You are completely correct. Asset purchases don't reduce profit in that quarter.

Did we actually obtain gates at LHR or just landing slots? It always seems to me like you just land there and they just sort of find a place to park the airplane and dump the folks off...

As of 1/16 First Call was reporting that the mean of 11 analyst's estimates was for a loss of $0.76/share, or about $67 million. That should be before any special items.

Jim

As of 1/16 First Call was reporting that the mean of 11 analyst's estimates was for a loss of $0.76/share, or about $67 million. That should be before any special items.

Jim

:shock: There goes the profit sharing check in March. So much for US employees helping to stimulate the economy.

Would a loss in the 4th quarter negate what is in the employee profit sharing bank, even if we would still have a profit for the year? Does anyone know?

Would a loss in the 4th quarter negate what is in the employee profit sharing bank, even if we would still have a profit for the year? Does anyone know?

No it won't. Profit sharing is 10% of full year profit. I think the profit so far is around 550 million, so if the 4th quarter loss comes in at 67 million the profit sharing will be 10% of 483 million or $48.3 million. Last years was $58.7 million

There will probably be a one time gain taken for the sale of USAirways piece of ARINC.
I haven't verified it, but I think they took that gain in 2006.

As someone else said, there should still be a profit sharing check - a 4th quarter loss shouldn't wipe out all profits from the other 3 quarters. It'll just be smaller than it would have been without a 4Q loss.

Jim

I guess it depends on how they do the books as to how the money they paid for the LHR slots affects q4.

I know for assets they have an amortization schedule when doing accounting. Do they do the same thing for slots?

A very simple answer to this accounting question...and I mean simple too.....is the purchase of slots in this case would be: credit the cash account and debit some sort of facilities account. It would have no effect on profit/loss since your only transfering $$$ between to asset accounts. As far as an amortization schedule, my guess would be slots are treated like real estate. They probably would appreciate in value over time....yes I know not always.

I haven't verified it, but I think they took that gain in 2006.

As someone else said, there should still be a profit sharing check - a 4th quarter loss shouldn't wipe out all profits from the other 3 quarters. It'll just be smaller than it would have been without a 4Q loss.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I haven't been able to verify, but I was told that we have to have 4 profitable quarters in order for the company to fullfill their promise. It doesn't make sense to me, but thats the way I heard it.

Squonk

Latest posts

Back