73A Subfleet (3LC/N939NN+)

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Initially following their introduction last December these frames traveled around the system on pretty much any 738 route. Then at some point last Spring operations seemed to be delegating them to longer routes from LAX (BOS/IAD/DCA/MIA/PIT/etc). Now with more than 25 of this type active wondering why no effort has been made to keep them on longer routes where pax can enjoy the AVOD, USB and AC power outlets. Furthermore these frames are still in the 16F/134Y configuration with the tray table inserts on 16-17 B/E, unlike the rest of the 738 fleet allowing them to operate with 3 F/As instead or 4 in the new configuration.

Josh

I've been having the newer 737s on PHX-ORD all month.  My guess is that dedicating certain aircraft to certain routes creates scheduling problems and is rarely done.  The A321T used on the transcons is an example of where it pays to do so.

As for using 3 FAs, that provided problems as well.  Now pairings have to be specially built and may not result in as much efficiency.  And if a 3 FA aircraft drops off a crew for a layover and the next day a 4 FA aircraft comes in, there are problems.  FAs are cheap.  It's better for the company to simply put 4 FAs on all of them, and that's just what they've been doing.

MK

There are some dedicated routes for these airplanes, but they are mostly due to the increased performance on the plane. The 737A has a better short field performance than the 737D. But the are routes that the enhanced performance helps, but is not necessary to operate those routes. Subs due to maintenance routings and out of service are difficult to get back into type on the 737 fleet.

I wasn't aware that there was anything performance related that is different just new the new leather seats and Thales IFE. Along with of course the BSI but there are ~70 in the fleet with BSI but no AVOD.

Josh

How can AA operate a 738, in either configuration, with only 3 flight attendants?  The 738s seat 160-166 people, which means 4 FAs are needed, from what I understand (1 FA for every 50 passengers, rounded up).

737823 said:
Furthermore these frames are still in the 16F/134Y configuration with the tray table inserts on 16-17 B/E, unlike the rest of the 738 fleet allowing them to operate with 3 F/As instead or 4 in the new configuration.
Josh
As you can see USFlyer, it was mentioned that some are still in the 16/134 configuration. Which when added up, equals 150. So, yes, some could operate with 3 F/A's. As Kirkpatrick stated, AA doesn't do that. They schedule 4, for operational issues that may arise.

USFlyer said:
How can AA operate a 738, in either configuration, with only 3 flight attendants?  The 738s seat 160-166 people, which means 4 FAs are needed, from what I understand (1 FA for every 50 passengers, rounded up).
If an airline configured its 738s with just 100 seats, then it could staff that plane with just two flight attendants.

Before Main Cabin Extra (MCE), AA's version of UA's E+, AA jammed 160 seats in its 738s, and staffed them with four FAs. Then, with MCE, AA removed a row of seats, leaving just 154 seats. Instead of staffing the plane with the required four FAs, AA physically blocked four of them and then argued to the FAA that the plane had just 150 seats and thus needed just three FAs.

Then, along came new management in June, 2013, and told AA that the 738s needed more seats (along with the A321S and the MD-80) and as soon as the reconfiguration of the 738s began, AA staffed all 738s with four FAs no matter which configuration the plane featured.

I was simply pointing out what was in the first comment on this thread. No need to look at Wikipedia. It was all right here.

US Flyer, the 1 per 50 isn't absolute.  AA's A321T, the three-class transcon aircraft, has 102 seats (10-20-72) and has a minimum staffing of four FAs.  I think it involves the fact that the plane has eight doors.

MK

There are minimums that change with the amount of doors as well. You are correct Kirkpatrick. A321T is minimum 4. 777-200ER is minimum 8. 777-300ER is minimum 10. Last time I checked, there is NOT 500 seats on the 777-300ER. Let alone 400 on the 200ER.

Back