747 vs A380

American6

Jan 15, 2012
The 747 and A380 are the two largest passenger planes in the world. Both have two decks to carry people and travel very long distances. Both have four engines and need a runway over 2,000 meters to properly land and take off on it. But there are differences. On these differences, which aircraft is better, the 747 or A380?

Seriously?... You might want to take a look at http://www.airliners.net if you're really interested in discussing something that general.

After having been a participant here for around a decade, the AirlineForums community tends to focus more on employee/management relations, and each airline's strategy & issues.

Reactions: 2 people
The 747 and A380 are the two largest passenger planes in the world. Both have two decks to carry people and travel very long distances. Both have four engines and need a runway over 2,000 meters to properly land and take off on it. But there are differences. On these differences, which aircraft is better, the 747 or A380?
Why don't you tell us???

Seriously?... You might want to take a look at http://www.airliners.net if you're really interested in discussing something that general.

After having been a participant here for around a decade, the AirlineForums community tends to focus more on employee/management relations, and each airline's strategy & issues.

I don't want airliners.net. It is too hard to get on that forum.

Reactions: 1 person

Do a google.
Lots of info.
B)

I don't want airliners.net. It is too hard to get on that forum.

And neither do we.

That's why we don't discuss inane subjects like "which airplane is the best" or "I think airline X should fly from YYY to ZZZ"

This site is the graduate program for advanced airline studies. If you want the community college version, go to Airliners.net

Reactions: 7 people
And neither do we.

That's why we don't discuss inane subjects like "which airplane is the best" or "I think airline X should fly from YYY to ZZZ"

This site is the graduate program for advanced airline studies. If you want the community college version, go to Airliners.net
:rolleyes: :lol: Aree! Maybe He/She should RESEARCH the issue On Their Own to satisfy their own curiosity. (I have seen more IDIOTIC Posts from this Individual than I choose to recollect.) Their Sense of Curiosity reminds me of someone contemplating why do M&M's put 26 pieces in the box and not 30? Answer......"Who the F cares!?"

I am partial to US manufactured aircraft, but that's just MHO so go google it, do some research (Aviation Week and Space Technology) and make up your own mind.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/01/23/bloomberg_articlesLY3G2L6JTSEA01-LY3OA.DTL

http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/life/boeing-747-8-and-airbus-a380-death-match-152563

A380 Wing cracks
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/01/23/bloomberg_articlesLY3G2L6JTSEA01-LY3OA.DTL

Well we ALL know that the 74 is refered to as the "Queen of the Sky" for a long time, and for good reason.

Though I'm Very partial to 4 engine a/c especially over "difficult territory" ( think over the North pole Ice, or in "no mans land over the Pacific), I'd be very partial to First Class on a 777-200 LR, knowing it can go between any 2 points non-stop in the world.(again, if the majority of the trip was over terra firma).

Hey, sorry. I'm a lil' chicken sheet when it comes to 2 engine a/c over places with NO landing strips a 1000+ miles away !

AA's 74SPs were Queens of the Hangar, Bears...

More to the point, when's the last time you heard of an actual inflight shut-down on an A330 or a Boeing twin in ETOPS territory?...

If four engines give you peace of mind not available with two engines, why stop there? Why not eight or 16 or 32 smaller engines? :D

Seriously, though, I like the 747 both on the outside and the inside, but not because of the four engines. I've long wondered if GE could design and build an engine capable of flying the 747 solo, which would mean that a pair of them could replace the four smaller engines? The other factor, of course, is whether such an engine would fit under the wing.

Yesterday, AA's new 777-323 seating choices were released/leaked, and it appears that AA will squeeze 310 total passengers between F, J, Y+ and Y, just a few passengers shy of BA's 744 capacity.

That was running out of fuel due to a string of errors. The engine was fine but just ran out of go juice. That's happened with airplanes having from 1 to 4 engines (or more if any B52's had it happen).

Jim

That was running out of fuel due to a string of errors. The engine was fine but just ran out of go juice. That's happened with airplanes having from 1 to 4 engines (or more if any B52's had it happen).

Jim
InvestigationThe Portuguese Aviation Accidents Prevention and Investigation Department (GPIAA) investigated the incident along with Canadian and French authorities.[2]

The investigation revealed that the cause of the incident was a fuel leak in the number two engine, caused by an incorrect part installed in the hydraulics system by Air Transat maintenance staff. The part, which was adapted from a similar engine, did not maintain adequate clearance between the hydraulic lines and the fuel line. This allowed vibration in the hydraulic lines to degrade the fuel line and cause the leak

Human error, be it by design (Airbus) or by action (Air Transat maintenance technicians) caused the engines to shut down.

InvestigationThe Portuguese Aviation Accidents Prevention and Investigation Department (GPIAA) investigated the incident along with Canadian and French authorities.[2]

The investigation revealed that the cause of the incident was a fuel leak in the number two engine, caused by an incorrect part installed in the hydraulics system by Air Transat maintenance staff. The part, which was adapted from a similar engine, did not maintain adequate clearance between the hydraulic lines and the fuel line. This allowed vibration in the hydraulic lines to degrade the fuel line and cause the leak

Human error, be it by design (Airbus) or by action (Air Transat maintenance technicians) caused the engines to shut down.
Thank you for the clarification.