A Famous Feminist's take on Palin

So given the two rich white guys failure let's throw an inexperienced, condescending elitist black guy and a plagerising old white guy up against a war hero and the Church Lady.

Wanna talk elitist?

Voting Republican or Democrat is like deciding which cigarette brand you want to smoke, Marlboro or Winston! Both will give you cancer the choice is who do you want to kill you? Brown & Willaimson or Phillip-Morris? either way you're no less dead. Same in politics.

yeah, 'cept one is filtered and the other one isn't.......... :rolleyes:

Dell,

The population centers are what drive the elections in the current system. Why is the POTUS the only election that uses an electoral college? Sen, Rep, Gov all are by popular vote and they seem to manage just fine. I gues I am willing to take a chance by disenfranchising a few in order to get a chance at having real representation in our government instead of the current ya-hoos that we have in office who are self serving.

Piney,

I choose among the viable options that are presented. We have a two party system so I am forced to choose between the two options. I do not care for it and I hold my nose when doing so but until I have a choice, what am I to do? Voting Libertarian in the current election format is the equivalent to betting on a donkey to win a horse race. Protest vote? Who would care? I would also risk allowing the candidate who I fear is worse than the one I would prefer to be in office.

As I said, figure out a way to get rid of the electoral college and we might actually have a real horse race. Until then we are stuck with two old nags and you have to pick one or the other.

What is that ammonia smell?
Anyone have a cat around here? :lol:

Sen, Rep, Gov all are by popular vote and they seem to manage just fine.

Because they are State and local representation.

The people of Rhode Island have the right to equal representation for their size and population the same as the people of Cali-fornya.

Its all based on population vs representation and its fair until you have 2000.

But Dell, it's a matter of scale. If you look at CA as Nation instead of state we have the same thing. The smaller cites (states) in CA do not have the same say over who is Sen or Gov as the bigger cities yet they are not neglected.

The people of RI have the same representation as CA in the Senate. There are 2 houses for that reason. One is based on population and the other is not.

Also, if you look at the elections, IIRC only 2 of them would have had a different out come in terms of who won (given a 2 party system). How does a winner take all system enfranchise anyone?

Do you agree that we need to move away from a two party system and if so, how do you propose we get there?

Easier said than done. There are very few 3rd party candidates who make it to the election and there are too few people who vote that way. Also, a lot of the 3rd party folks are as goofy as the D and R's. Paul has a few good ideas but some of his stuff is just way over the edge and I am not comfortable with him either.

BTW, Libertarian is not the only other option out there.

Latest posts