A question of honor

sodane

Jan 11, 2003
www.usaviation.com
It''s now saturday afternoon, and the votes are over. I don''t think anybody here was pleased with having to accept more paycuts - and I also believe that includes Super Dave. I know that being his age and with a wife and small kids at home, I certainly wouldn''t take much pleasure in knowing that I was at the helm and knowing full well that I would be making decisions that would put a lot of families in hardship...I just can''t believe any rational person would want to do that...I certainly wouldn''t want to have to make that call, but sometimes painful and harsh decisions are a necessity.
So here we are on the day after the agreements were ratified. My proposal to everybody is simply, What will you do now?
>From my perspective, I see 2 and only 2 honorable options...either go to work and do your absolute best, or resign and find something else to do.
My son is 10, and I have tried to teach him that it''s not what you do for work, but how you do it is what matters.
Speaking for myself, I''ve spent the last 5 years flying as a Captain, and now I will be going back to F/O. Am I disappointed? Sure I am. Am I happy with the 55% paycut I am taking? Of course not. Am I thrilled that some of my friends and collegues are being furloughed? No, it distresses me greatly.
I have many good friends that also work here at US Airways - my closest friend here in CLT was just furloughed last Tuesday (he''s a pilot). We used to fly trips together. I was at his house the day before he had to turn in all of his stuff to the chief pilots'' office. Even though he is still flying for the Air Force reserves (which will help a little bit financially), it was still extremely difficult on him emotionally.
I spoke with another friend for about an hour face to face Wednesday evening after Air Midwest accident - he''s a mechanic, and has been commuting to PIT because he was displaced out of CLT. he was leaving in the morning to drive back up to PIT from CLT for another week away from his family.
Another good friend of mine is a gate agent here in CLT. Our families have shared a summer vacation together for the last 2 years...he''s also gone to a dog-meat schedule, and is working double shifts a lot to try and make up for his pay loss.
I''ve also written a couple of letters of recommendation for other pilots who have been furloughed - I wish them all the luck in the world, but even more, I wish they were still here.
I''m sure that many of you have similar experiences and friends under the same situation as I.
The point of my post (my first one on this forum) is simply this - what will you do now?
I had a music tecaher once that gave me a great piece of advice -he said that the hardest position to fill in the orchestra is second fiddle, and that is because it is extremely difficult to find someone who will be willing to accept the second string position and play it with all of their heart and soul.
Everybody at this company has been affected in one way or another,l either by pay, or position, or schedule, or prestige, or by being unemployed. I repeat, everybody here has been affected.
I once heard that the definition of someone who is overpaid is anybody that makes $1 dollar more than you do.
I know that the best thing that I can possibly do is to do the best job that I can -and for me, that means not only trying to play by ALL the rules, but also to try and have a positive attitude in spite of what''s going on around me.
I really do try and count my blessings every day - I tell myself that I could be digging a ditch in Bangladesh right now, or sitting alone fighting cancer, or any number of other places that I''m not.
I really hope that those who may be thinking along the lines of ...I''m only being paid 70% so I will only do a 70% job... will reconsider.
Will the company ultimately survive? I don''t know. But so far, my paychecks have never bounced (and I have worked for a place that they did), and nobody is holding a gun to my head forcing me to be here. This is a free society, and admit it or not, we are all here by choice.
At the end of the day, no matter what ultimately happens to US Airways, be it win, lose, or draw, I know that if I work to the best of my ability - especially in these uncertain times, that I will have a sense of pride and accomplishment that nobody - not a company, or a union rep, or a bankrupcy judge, can ever take away from me.
I hope that everyone will remember that like a symphony, every member is important. As a pilot, I can not perform my duties without the work of everyone else, and visa versa.
It is also my sincere desire that we can all at least try to be nice to each other. When you see a fellow employee at work - no matter what they do - take a second and smile or wave at them. It doesn''t cost anything, you don''t even have to stop walking or talk to them, but it can help make someone''s day. I know it''s made mine more than once.
As I said, for me, it''s a question of honor, and it is my honor and privelage to work with each and every one of you.
See you around the campus -
Shannon Davis
CLT

[BR]Shannon Davis[BR]CLT[BR]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[BR]
[P]Well stated, and if everyone had your attitude it would be given that U survives and more, but reality tells us otherwise. Lets just hope that your attitude is the majority and not the minority, that most people at U function with a God directed moral compass in which case we can't possibly lose the battle.[/P][FONT size=2][/FONT]

I have always had the notion that after the debate is settled, we abide by the outcome.

The means we reached the outcome are shaky. I think a good case can be made the company and unions did NOT provide all of the facts for us to make a fully informed decision. The company did so to get our 'consent.' The unions got their dues structure protected. And I think it unconsionable that agents furloughed on the 5th could not vote on the 10th. I have no quarrel with the IAM's rules which state furloughed employees cannot vote. I am saying the vote could have been scheduled sooner. The mechanics voted with full knowledge of who would be laid off.

However, I am old enough to realize these kinds of shennanigans always go on, so I accept them rather than stroke out.

Tomorrow, I will show up on time and do my usual good job. I will not disrupt operations. But I can tell you, US Airways management has taken the joy out of this job, and it is no longer my passion. I stuck it out because I'm not a quitter. I stuck around because I hoped management would finally get it right, and through collective bargaining, we could gradually restore what had been taken. That is no longer feasible - when you're dealing with someone both incompetent and utterly mendacious, a contract is basically toilet paper.

I love my work - it's the job that's killing me.

And for those who say quit, I'm working on it. You're the ones who said vote yes, and leave on your own terms. Well, I voted no, but I still think I'll go on my own terms.

Very very good philosophy, and it would be much easier to approve, sacrifice, and abide by it if............management, pricing, marketing, various VP's, would stop making bumbleheaded decisions , or none at all ,regarding the way our business is marketed day to day. The bottom line is attracting and keeping our customers expeditiously and at a fair price. No one should argue with that.
But, as opinioned elsewhere on this board, when ato's are mimimally staffed with long lines, when 100-200 or more customer calls are on hold every day even on non wx related days,(that will very likely increase with one office closing today as it has done in past with other offices closing), and when the fare structure and rules are still insane, customers are not coming back or are leaving for better pastures. SW and Jet Blue are eating us up..I have not called them as of late but how long do you have to wait to get a rep? How long are their check in lines?How tough is it to abide and appreciate or respect their fares and change policies as a customer? I am guessing it's not tough at all. Did Southwest or Jet Blue add a 15 dollar fuel tax last week, then rescind it a week later, then bring it back Friday at 10 dollars? NO. Stupid decision on US' part(the only airline who did this).Did Sw, JB or THE MAJORS play around with standby fees, one minute 100, next minute 100 but can confirm it within 4 hours, next minute 25 only , but THE SHUTTLE remains 100? How confusing and unattractive is all that? And the zinger is what other airline totally messed with the DM program only to have to backtrack since it received the wrath of Khan and no one else followed suit?
When a company supports its business atructure and its employees,and modifies them both to the current times,it's easy to follow a leader and almost lay down and die sacrificing for your company. Such has not been the case at US, as evidenced above, and it is not entirely the economy and 9-11 to blame IMO. All the headcutting is a MANAGEMENT'S excuse, not a solution, to U's problems.The blame rests squarely on their head and shoulders, not the employees.

Shannon Davis
CLT
--------------------------

Shannon, I have to give you a halo for your refreshing post. I just signed on to read your beautiful and wise words of wisdom. What a breath of fresh air so needed on this board after all that has occurred the past 2 years.

None of us know what is around the corner, but with a positive attitude, many things are possible and surely the days will be more pleasant if we stay positive, no matter how bad things become in our daily lives. We do have so much to be thankful for. As you implied, we just have to look around to realize this.

You addressed Dave Siegel having to make decisions that were surely hard to make; after all he has a family,too. I am sure that he has lost sleep as have most of late. But often, decisions must be made for a company to survive. And no one is happy about the methods that it takes to obtain a successful goal. Let us hope and pray that the result is successful in the end for those that remain at USAirways.

I would like to quote Cavalier as he said it so well:
"Lets just hope that your attitude is the majority and not the minority, that most people at U function with a God directed moral compass in which case we can't possibly lose the battle."

I wish you and each U employee and their family the very best in the coming months and years no matter what road they take. Now is a time to pull together, no matter what our destiny is.

Trish
-------------------
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people. --Unknown--

I tip my hat you you, Shannon.

You do speak the truth. We could ALL learn a very good lesson from your post. Thanks

If you wish for mgmt to match Southwest and Jet Blue prices in all markets it is important to realize the results. For each seat mile Jet Blue and Southwest generate 15 to 20 percent less revenue. A simple match could result in $600 to $900 million in less revenue for USAirways. Sure there would be more passengers on the airplanes but in total there would be less revenue. This has been confirmed time after time as Southwest enters new markets - - more passengers, more flights, less revenue but more costs due to an increase in flying.

Shannon,

It has been difficult for everyone here at USAirways. Our life in in Pit is not much different from yours. My husband has a 1986 hire date and like you was once a Captain, and has now gone to First Officer Blockholder to reserve. We are not complaining, just happy to have a job. Starting over at 50 is much harder than at age 30. We also have two young children and want them to have integrity with what they do.

We also have many friends that are flight attendants, res agents and mechanics. (It seems that if you live in CLT or PIT someone knows someone who works for this company.) Every day is one more day we want to have hope for a future. It's not just USAirways, it's avaition and knowing that right now there are no other jobs out there in this field. It will take 7 to 10 years for things to change. Timing is everything.

My glass is still half full, it has just gone from a 16 ounce to an 8 ounce and is holding steady at 4 ounces. and yet I'm still happy at just having a glass. We can all mourn the loss of what was supposed to be, that applies to all employee groups, all have given. All at times have been treated unfairly. But we can still make something of what we have left. That is what separates the men from the boys (no sexest pun intended).

I know it has been most difficult for the Customer Service Agents and Mechanics. There is other employment for Customer Service Skilled workers but not for the mechanics, flight attendants, and pilots. So they must reinvent themselves.

I know Dave would like to make a success of this Company, but it is not longer just Dave calling the shots. It's the bankruptcy judge, Bonner, creditors, and even politics (the pension problem and the ASTB loan, and all of that). So now we wait to see what the Judge has to say on the 16th.

I have hope that the judge will give the 30,000 remaining USAirways employees a chance to make this thing work. It would be so sad to have come this far not to give it a chance.....One day at a time....

KJB

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 9:09:58 PM diogenes wrote:

Piney Bob

Thank you for the kind words - I'll be around a little while longer. I'm guessing it's furloughs for my location - worst case 3 months; best case by November.

As to the other, I'll probably draw some flak for this, but that's never stopped me before!

In my personal view, US Air has been a poorly operated airline ever since I've been in the industry. No slur on the AL employees; I've always had good dealings with the frontline troops and they all seemed to be cappy hampers. Maybe the wheels fell off at merger. But at any rate, the post-merger US was a sorry comparison to the pre-merger PI. You can't run a business that poorly and expect to survive - quite frankly, I'm amazed we've lasted this long. The sole reason for that survival is professional frontline employees who seem to know more about operating an airline than our 'superiors.' But in the end, the Good Book is right - "where there is no vision, the people perish." Accordingly, I have managed my situation with the demise of U in mind for quite sometime.

I worked my fanny off to make U a going concern. I hope we pull off one more miracle, but I can walk away when the time comes.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Me too.

Piney Bob

Thank you for the kind words - I'll be around a little while longer. I'm guessing it's furloughs for my location - worst case 3 months; best case by November.

As to the other, I'll probably draw some flak for this, but that's never stopped me before!

In my personal view, US Air has been a poorly operated airline ever since I've been in the industry. No slur on the AL employees; I've always had good dealings with the frontline troops and they all seemed to be cappy hampers. Maybe the wheels fell off at merger. But at any rate, the post-merger US was a sorry comparison to the pre-merger PI. You can't run a business that poorly and expect to survive - quite frankly, I'm amazed we've lasted this long. The sole reason for that survival is professional frontline employees who seem to know more about operating an airline than our 'superiors.' But in the end, the Good Book is right - "where there is no vision, the people perish." Accordingly, I have managed my situation with the demise of U in mind for quite sometime.

I worked my fanny off to make U a going concern. I hope we pull off one more miracle, but I can walk away when the time comes.

Shannon:

Thank you for your comments and to those who responded. The two concesionaire periods have been "gut wrenching" and unpleasant experiences. Let's move forward and each day do the best we can.

Chip

Latest posts