A330-200s In The Pacific

JetClipper

Advanced
May 2, 2004
I have seen the press releases about how NWA will be progressively introducing the A330-200 on trans-Pacific and Asia interport routes over the next few months. While I believe the airplane will please the passengers that actually get on, I am curious how NWA expects this airplane to handle the demand.

From what I understand, NWA’s Asia flights are going out full nearly every day. However, the A330s will be replacing much larger aircraft on the routes they serve, so NWA will lose significant capacity on these flights (e.g. SFO-NRT goes from a DC10 to an A330 with the loss of 26 seats per flight, and SEA-NRT loses 106 seats by switching from a 747-200). That being said, how will NWA handle the current loads on these flights with smaller aircraft?

I suspect that NWA is simply filling seats on the existing aircraft by offering low fares, but do these vacation travelers account for that much of the traffic mix? And, if demand consistently outstrips capacity, how will NWA adjust, particularly when much of 747-200 and DC10 fleets are gone?

Just curious.

Replacing the DC10 is only 26 seats difference, not really that big a deal. Replacing the B747-200, 102 seats is a huge difference. Fuel efficiency will be up and the need for the flight engineer goes away, but I have to believe that cargo space will also be smaller. I would almost say the B747-200 should be replaced by the B747-400 if the flights are almost always full. Just my thoughts....

I can tell you one thing; all of us in PDX are eagerly awaiting the A330's arrival. The DC-10 is really weight restricted, and we have to hold freight off every day ( or truck it up to SEA). Having the 'bus will at least allow us to capitalize on that revenue stream.

JetClipper said:
From what I understand, NWA’s Asia flights are going out full nearly every day.
"Full" doesn't mean that each passenger was a profitable passenger. It's quite possible that the yields would rise substantially by replacing the 747-200 with the A330-200.

coolflyingfool said:
Replacing the DC10 is only 26 seats difference, not really that big a deal. Replacing the B747-200, 102 seats is a huge difference. Fuel efficiency will be up and the need for the flight engineer goes away, but I have to believe that cargo space will also be smaller. I would almost say the B747-200 should be replaced by the B747-400 if the flights are almost always full. Just my thoughts....
This seems odd. Can a loaded A-330-300 not make it SEA-NRT???

The -300 gives you an additional 20 or 30 seats over the -200.