A330 Takes To The Pacific

Bigsky

Advanced
Oct 29, 2002
Press Release Source: Northwest Airlines

Northwest Announces Start of New Airbus A330-200 Service Between Tokyo and U.S. West Coast, Within Asia
Thursday May 20, 11:00 am ET
Airline to Offer Comforts of Newest Aircraft Between Tokyo and Bangkok, Thailand, Beijing, Portland, Ore., San Francisco, Seattle, Seoul, South Korea, Singapore

MINNEAPOLIS, May 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Northwest Airlines (Nasdaq: NWAC - News) today announced the starting dates of service operated by the Airbus A330-200, its newest aircraft type, between Tokyo and three destinations along the West Coast of the United States and four destinations in the Asia/Pacific region.
"The introduction of A330 service in these markets allows Northwest to offer travelers a new level of in-flight comfort that exceeds what's offered by our U.S. competitors and many of our international rivals," said Phil Haan, executive vice president of international, sales and information services.

Northwest's long-range 243-passenger A330s are equipped with 32 new seats in World Business Class, 211 new seats in coach class, and a new entertainment system in both cabins. It also features Airbus' enhanced aircraft interior design and according to Airbus, the quietest long-haul cabin in the air.

The start of service from the airline's Tokyo hub is timed in conjunction with the delivery of seven new A330-200 aircraft the airline will begin receiving this summer. In 2004, Northwest will offer A330-200 service:

To Tokyo from: Beginning: From Tokyo to: Beginning:

Seoul August 2 Seoul August 1
San Francisco September 1 San Francisco September 2
Portland October 1 Portland October 3
Beijing October 3 Beijing October 2
Seattle November 1 Seattle November 3
Bangkok November 3 Bangkok November 2
Singapore December 2 Singapore December 1

The A330 is designed to provide a high level of comfort to passengers no matter what class of service they choose. Interior contours allow for a more spacious cabin with additional headroom and ample carry-on space.

STATE OF THE ART IN-FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT

Northwest's fully interactive in-flight entertainment system offers a wide variety of music, movies, short subject programs, games, shopping and in- flight information, all "on demand," giving customers the freedom and flexibility to start, pause or stop at any time. The gateway to all of these features is a convenient retractable controller, making it easy to access from any sitting position, as opposed to stationary controllers fixed on armrests.

In World Business Class, Northwest customers are able to view any of these features on a 10.4 inch/26.4 centimeter video screen, 50 percent larger in size than the screens found in business class seats on other U.S. airlines, and many international airlines. Northwest customers traveling in coach class are able to view any of these features on a personal video screen in the back of the seat in front of them. The screen pivots, allowing customers to adjust it and continue viewing if the seat in front of them is reclined

I'm somewhat surpised that SEA-NRT is going to the A330. I'd heard for quite some time that that route would continue to be operated by a 747-200 for the foreseeable future. I wonder when the last passenger 747-200 is leaving the fleet?

There are certain achievements to be known for like the first 744 airline. Being first with A330-200 across the Pacific is not something I would brag about. A330's aren't 777's.

There are certain achievements to be known for like the first 744 airline. Being first with A330-200 across the Pacific is not something I would brag about. A330's aren't 777's

Given the choice of operating a B747 from the west coast to NRT and having to drop fares to fill up the jet verses flying an A330 from the west coast to NRT and filling seats with high yield fares hence making money, which would you choose?

NW is also starting PDX NRT which obviously would not support a B747. With SEA NRT going to the A330 from the B747 it is rumored that NW will resume SEA KIX with another A330 to make up for the lost seats.

cheers

bigsky

With PDX-NRT starting soon, taking the 747 off of SEA-NRT is a smart move as I'm sure the new route will cannibalize some of the traffic from SEA. I'll be *real* happy when the A330 replaces the (interim) DC-10 on the PDX route.

There are more appropriate meduim size airplanes then the A330-200 to fly from the Northwest to NRT. Airbus has the A340 for such flights.

JFK777 said:
There are more appropriate meduim size airplanes then the A330-200 to fly from the Northwest to NRT. Airbus has the A340 for such flights.
Perhaps, but why add another aircraft (and engine) type to the fleet when NWA apparently already has the "right" aircraft for these routes?

If NW were to add A340-300 the engines are already being used on the A320's & pilots are already trained for the A330 and could easily be cross-trained from the A320. Most costs associated with the A340 have already been incurred by NW wether by accident or fortunate planning.

JFK makes an interesting point.

The engines are CFM-56s. But are they the same as on the A320s? I think some of the material was different.

Anyhow, I'm sure that Airbus would be more than willing to swap orders from A330s to A340s if Northwest wanted.

It might give some advantage to Northwest by allowing for more direct routes - that require additional open water flying.

And IIRC, the A-340-200 has about the same seat capacity as the -330-200.

JFK777 said:
The CFM engines on the A320 & A340-300 are different versions of the same engine.
As the A319 engines are different from the A320. It's more of a difference in the engines adjusted thrust rating than any real difference in the engines. For maintenance purposes they are essentially identical. However, the CFM56 engines on the 737 which are quite different due to the different aircraft manufacturer and the design issues unique to that airframe.

JFK777 said:
What are you talking about? The A330-200 is IDEAL for the West Coast. More performance for the buck than a 777. As for the 340....4 engines don't make two. That is the whole purpose of dropping the 47. If there is ANY US airline (of the Majors)that seems to know what it is doing it appears to be NWA. As has been noted before, NWA is NOT a follower...it sets it's own path.

JFK777 said:
There are certain achievements to be known for like the first 744 airline. Being first with A330-200 across the Pacific is not something I would brag about. A330's aren't 777's.
No the A330 is not a B777. The A330-200 can carry more passengers on a longer route than a B777-200.

The A330 will give NW a lower operating cost than they B747-200. It is a good move for NW to utelize this aircraft on this routes.

Just Plane Crazy,

"No the A330 is not a 777. The A330-200 can carry more passenger on a longer route then the 777-200."

That statement is ridiculous, anyone with knowlwedge of the 777-200ER knows it can fly further with more passengers the any A330. There some airline like AA(237) that have fewer passenger then typical on the 777 but most are closer to 275. Singapore Airlines has a pre 9/11 flight from Las Vegas to Hong Kong( 15 hours) NONSTOP, I would like to see an A330 do that. West Coast to NRT flights are at the limits of the A330-200, the 777-200ER still has 4 hours of flying left in its fuel tanks. Think of all those flights British Airways has from LHR to the Far East.
Could Continental fly from Newark to HKG nonstop as its does with an A330-200? No, but its pride and joy the GE 90 powered 777-200ER does it 15.5 hours over Siberia.

It is French irony to me why Air France has such a large 777-200ER fleet? Is it because it it flies further with more pax the the A340-300/A330-200 also in Af's fleet? Most AF flight to Asia are 777. It clear AF likes the 777, BA, SIA, UA, AA & KLM do too. The 777 is the clear choice for 12 to 14 hour flights by 2 engine airplanes, the A330 is good for 8 hours flights as the the A340-500 is good for 18 hours flights.

How many other airlines will use the A330 across the pacific? Few, but many are using 777's.

The B777 and the A330 are both outstanding aircraft. NW's decision to go with the A330 over the B777 was economics, and I am not just talking acquisition price. The B777 was overkill for the original role that NW was planning which was the US to Europe and some west coast to Hawaii flying. The extra fuel capacity of the B777 also adds weight. In other words, why buy an aircraft with a 7500nm range when you are only going to fly it 3800 nm (DTW-AMS). NW later realized that the A330-200 would work well over the Pacific as it's range is around 6600nm and that does consider the aircraft at MGW with required reserves and winds. So NW changed the order around to include around 10 A330-200's instead of all A330-300's. BTW SEA to NRT is around 4400nm in round numbers, so the A330-200 is well suited for the west coast to NRT routes.

Continueing on with ECON 101. NW also has around 170 A320/319s. The transition for an A320 pilot to the A330 is approximately 4 days. A NW pilot transtioning to the B777 would be around 4 weeks. As they say, time is money.

Like NxNW said, NW is not a follower and will typically go off the beaten path and watch the industry follow them. Still one of only two US airlines flying the B747-400.

cheers

bigsky