AA and the ATSB

ForkTime2002

Advanced
Nov 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/4/2002 5:13:26 PM spacewaitress wrote:
[P]This is the end," said Prof. Sam Peltzman of the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business. "It's been defeated by American Airlines apparently," he said, noting that American is a likely candidate for ATSB help.[BR][BR][BR][BR][/P]----------------[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]While AA had plenty to say about the loan, it was ole gordon that had the loudest mouth and the most disparaging things to say.[BR]cant recall reading anyone from AA yappin about UA management bein idiots and UA makin a big hole when they hit the ground.especially on cnbc like gordon.[BR][BR]All the airlines were cryin, nwa with the power point thing,gordon on cnbc and in the times 3 times talking UA down.[BR]you know if aa and or co end up lookin for cash everyone will be lined up to say why they shouldnt get it.[BR][BR]good luck to everyone at UAL.[/FONT][/STRONG][/P]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/4/2002 5:13:26 PM spacewaitress wrote:
[P]This is the end," said Prof. Sam Peltzman of the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business. "It's been defeated by American Airlines apparently," he said, noting that American is a likely candidate for ATSB help.[BR][BR][BR][BR][/P]----------------[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]While AA had plenty to say about the loan, it was ole gordon that had the loudest mouth and the most disparaging things to say.[BR]cant recall reading anyone from AA yappin about UA management bein idiots and UA makin a big hole when they hit the ground.especially on cnbc like gordon.[BR][BR]All the airlines were cryin, nwa with the power point thing,gordon on cnbc and in the times 3 times talking UA down.[BR]you know if aa and or co end up lookin for cash everyone will be lined up to say why they shouldnt get it.[BR][BR]good luck to everyone at UAL.[/FONT][/STRONG][/P]

CO is still able to raise money through the capital markets, so they are clearly doing something right, whether or not Gordon is a loud-mouth.

CO is still able to raise money through the capital markets, so they are clearly doing something right, whether or not Gordon is a loud-mouth.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/4/2002 5:17:55 PM UnitedChicago wrote:
[P]If this is true, I will blow a gasket.[BR][BR]The deadline has long since passed for airlines to apply...so I don't think this is true.[BR][BR]To AA, DL, NW, and CO:[BR][BR]Paybacks are a ####.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][STRONG][/STRONG][/P][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]You dont work for UAL fanboy,why will you blow a gasket?[/FONT][/STRONG]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/4/2002 5:17:55 PM UnitedChicago wrote:
[P]If this is true, I will blow a gasket.[BR][BR]The deadline has long since passed for airlines to apply...so I don't think this is true.[BR][BR]To AA, DL, NW, and CO:[BR][BR]Paybacks are a ####.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][STRONG][/STRONG][/P][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3]You dont work for UAL fanboy,why will you blow a gasket?[/FONT][/STRONG]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/4/2002 5:17:55 PM UnitedChicago wrote:

If this is true, I will blow a gasket.

The deadline has long since passed for airlines to apply...so I don't think this is true.

To AA, DL, NW, and CO:

Paybacks are a ####.
----------------
[/blockquote]
You have to still exist to get revenge. Good luck to you.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/4/2002 5:17:55 PM UnitedChicago wrote:

If this is true, I will blow a gasket.

The deadline has long since passed for airlines to apply...so I don't think this is true.

To AA, DL, NW, and CO:

Paybacks are a ####.
----------------
[/blockquote]
You have to still exist to get revenge. Good luck to you.

That's right, it is collateralized by the spare parts...but what's keeping United from doing the same? Gordon's flat-out honest about the fact that CO is worried too - saying, "This is not a game. This is not a boys' club. All of us are dying."

I agree that stock buybacks ain't the best use of capital in a wildly cyclical industry like the airlines. But I also think that the growth in the 90's as well as the fleet renewal were absolutely necessary to get CO to a size where it could be an effective competitor. They certainly did make some significant cuts -- abandoning the hub at DEN and jettisoning CO Lite.

That's right, it is collateralized by the spare parts...but what's keeping United from doing the same? Gordon's flat-out honest about the fact that CO is worried too - saying, "This is not a game. This is not a boys' club. All of us are dying."

I agree that stock buybacks ain't the best use of capital in a wildly cyclical industry like the airlines. But I also think that the growth in the 90's as well as the fleet renewal were absolutely necessary to get CO to a size where it could be an effective competitor. They certainly did make some significant cuts -- abandoning the hub at DEN and jettisoning CO Lite.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/4/2002 6:12:01 PM sfb wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Not according to their SEC filing as reported by Aviation Week. CO is leveraged to the MAX! The only stuff they can borrow against is spare parts of which they will get very little for. They have a little over a Billion in cash on hand but their loan agreements require them to keep no less than 500mil on hand. They disclosed they can pay their bills thru 2003 but after that they are in serious trouble.
And CO employees can thank the big blowhard Gordo for the situation they're in. He's the genius that was squandering CO resources buying back CO stock at top dollar just to watch its value go in the toilet. Also growing CO at 10%+ a year during the 90's instead of beefing up its weak balance sheet was another rock head move. Gordo needs to spend less time worrying about UA and do something about CO!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/4/2002 6:12:01 PM sfb wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Not according to their SEC filing as reported by Aviation Week. CO is leveraged to the MAX! The only stuff they can borrow against is spare parts of which they will get very little for. They have a little over a Billion in cash on hand but their loan agreements require them to keep no less than 500mil on hand. They disclosed they can pay their bills thru 2003 but after that they are in serious trouble.
And CO employees can thank the big blowhard Gordo for the situation they're in. He's the genius that was squandering CO resources buying back CO stock at top dollar just to watch its value go in the toilet. Also growing CO at 10%+ a year during the 90's instead of beefing up its weak balance sheet was another rock head move. Gordo needs to spend less time worrying about UA and do something about CO!