AA Cargo Boys Busted

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
January 13, 2008 -- In a scene straight out of the gangster film "Goodfellas," two longtime American Airlines employees were busted for allegedly swiping more than $200,000 worth of diamonds from a Kennedy Airport storage facility.

The police announced yesterday that cargo handlers Richard Lombardo, 50, of Massapequa, LI, and Steve Tsihlas, 39, of Astoria, Queens, were arrested after airport officials discovered that the box of baubles had flown the coop Wednesday night.

Investigators suspected the diamond duo after poring over records to see which crews had access to the cargo bay. That it was Lombardo and Tsihlas, a veteran tag team, who were busted left many a colleague stunned and sad.

LINK To Full Story

One can't help but wonder what's going through someones head when they do something like this. Did it ever enter their minds that if caught they can say goodbye to any sort of retirement and retirement benefits? Add to that if they are eventually convicted good luck getting a decent paying job.

One can't help but wonder what's going through someones head when they do something like this. Did it ever enter their minds that if caught they can say goodbye to any sort of retirement and retirement benefits? Add to that if they are eventually convicted good luck getting a decent paying job.

I'd say it's doubtful they'll get probation only from their display of stupidity. They may be taken care of for a good long while, courtesy of the state or the Feds - look at it as an "alternative" retirement arrangment.

Cases like this help demonstrate the uselessness of "background checks" as indicators of trustworthiness. Over the past six years, baggage handlers, TSA screeners, FAs and even a couple of sky marshals have been arrested for theft or smuggling. In short, nobody can be "trusted" to do no wrong.

Cases like this help demonstrate the uselessness of "background checks" as indicators of trustworthiness. Over the past six years, baggage handlers, TSA screeners, FAs and even a couple of sky marshals have been arrested for theft or smuggling. In short, nobody can be "trusted" to do no wrong.

That's a problem when your hiring pool consists only of humans.

Re: background checks and their effectiveness - how's TSA doing with their employees? Anyone heard or that that really hush-hush?

Just goes to show what employees are reduced to doing just to get by in this post-concessions AA-payscale era.

I highly doubt this will put a stop to this type of activity. For the ones they caught, more slipped through the cracks.

Just goes to show what employees are reduced to doing just to get by in this post-concessions AA-payscale era.

I'm not sure what's worse -- trying to blame a total lapse in basic morals and ethics on concessions, or the prospect that you actually believe what you wrote...

High value theft was going on when I started working in the industry 20 years ago, and I didn't see people trying to rationalize it on deregulation or anything else that occurred... Grand larceny almost always comes down to character and greed, and not the economic situation of the individual committing the crime.

Oh please, that is nothing but an excuse. This incident has more to do with greed that tough economic circumstances. Were these two unable to feed their families? Or was it more like they had to put off buying a new car for a couple years?

I'm not sure what's worse -- trying to blame a total lapse in basic morals and ethics on concessions, or the prospect that you actually believe what you wrote...

High value theft was going on when I started working in the industry 20 years ago, and I didn't see people trying to rationalize it on deregulation or anything else that occurred... Grand larceny almost always comes down to character and greed, and not the economic situation of the individual committing the crime.

Good post.

The disturbing issue is how much of this stuff happens and is never caught/reported.

Same thing with DG.

I'd say it's doubtful they'll get probation only from their display of stupidity. They may be taken care of for a good long while, courtesy of the state or the Feds - look at it as an "alternative" retirement arrangment.

Stupidity is not a crime.

From the news report the goods were never removed from company property. Technically all they are guilty of at this time is unauthorized entry into the container and relocation of the cargo. Both could argue that they convinced the other not to remove the goods from company property in an effort to eventually convince the other to return the stuff.

This does not seem to be a planned out crime but rather a moment of indescression after apparently decades of good service. A submission to temptation. Financial stress brought on as a result of the money the company stole from these and every other worker will likely be entered as a factor in what led to this incident.

We see executives who embezzel millions get off with a slap on the wrist. No one was harmed and all the property was recovered at minimal expense because they cooperated with investigators. Their jobs are gone and they will pay thousands in legal fees but they probably wont do time. What good would it do the state to have to support two families, plus pay the costs of housing two more additional inmates and conduct a trial when its unlikely that they will be repeat offenders and its hard to prove that a serious felony that would warrent jail time actually occured? Would it be worth it to give a murderer or rapist early release in order to make room for these guys? The state has far bigger cases to handle than putting two family men on trial who never actually removed the goods they are accused of stealing from company property. If they had them off company property trying to sell the stuff that would be different. My bet is that they plead guilty to a reduced crime and get probation at most. I doubt it will ever go to trial.

Back