AA closing SJU hub according to Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation article

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
He confirmed American's plans to down grade the Caribbean markets where it has historically been the strongest. It is closing its San Juan hub in favor of moving its operations to Miami to support American's north/south service to New York. He said the ATR 72 was especially useful in Miami given the number of military bases in the region In addition, half the aircraft that were based at San Juan have been moved to Dallas to support American there..

http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/2010/06/11/garton-regains-american-eagle-presidency-reaffirms-intent-to-sell-the-regional/page1

Huh? Any truth to this?

SJU is a shadow of its past, with just about every former mainline destination now being served nonstop out of either JFK or MIA. I hadn't heard it called a hub in the last two years I was with AA (2005 & 2006). It was considered a focus city like JFK, BOS or SJC at the time.

http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/2010/06/11/garton-regains-american-eagle-presidency-reaffirms-intent-to-sell-the-regional/page1

Huh? Any truth to this?

My friend based at JFK said they recieved an HI6 message that this was not true ect, but it's in the Dallas paper, and all the SJU commuters are all a fenzy with this news. They are saying all but 2 JFK-SJU trips are going to JB, and if they can get the mainline down to 9 a/c then they can get rid of AA and bring AE to handle the gates,ramp and out source MX. I know wee have, eliminating most of JFK-SJU is over 13 mainline. Go figure.

Put your thinking caps on!!! This downsixing at SJU has been going on for some time. Think back to the days when AA connected through SJU to all parts of the Cariibbean. ( They actually controlled nearly 70% of the market share). Then with the build up at MIA, much of that connecting traffic (unfortunately) was shifted to that hell hole of an airport. Last summer, in concert with the demise of the 267 passenger A-300's , AA went from 38 flights a day at SJU down to 16!

You'll hear stories about AA's landing fees at SJU going way up as the root cause. Not! Looking onjectively at it, SJU and the islands in general, have become a Mecca for liesure travel. Cruise ship and liesure travellers ar motivated by low fares, and are not going pay the bills. As is typical in this day and age, airline employees subsidize low ticket prices with their contimued acceptance of early 1990's (or earlier) pay rates, work rules and pathetic benefit packages. Seemingly, AA will let others duke it out in SJU, and come back to fight another day. Maybe.

The article's title is misleading. SJU hasn't been a hub for a long time.

There is no reason to have two hubs (MIA and SJU) so close together. MIA, especially with the new terminal, can do it all, and attract business traffic as well, which SJU has trouble doing.

Maybe their is something to this i heard that a big wig from sju went with hat in hand to WN and is trying to convince them to open a hub in SJU.Hmmm.

If WN can't operate 4-8 flights a day in a market from the beginning, they're not going in. There are so many other places they could fly, so I don't see that being very realistic.

They might be able to operate from the mainland into SJU, but markets in the islands can barely support one or two flights a day with an ATR. They ain't gonna support a couple 737's...

Spoke to a friend of mine that is an agent in SJU.
The agents received a letter advicing them that
as of Nov 1..........AA will only fly to SJU from MIA
and DFW. All the other routes going to Jetblue.

So, I wonder if the BWI-SJU and IAD-SJU services flown by DCA-I will go away or become through flights going to MIA first? Instead of flyiing BWI-SJU-MIA, then layover, and do the reverse the next day, would they fly BWI-MIA-SJU, then reverse?

So, I wonder if the BWI-SJU and IAD-SJU services flown by DCA-I will go away or become through flights going to MIA first? Instead of flyiing BWI-SJU-MIA, then layover, and do the reverse the next day, would they fly BWI-MIA-SJU, then reverse?

If it's true:

How many TWU positions affected ?

Will Blue increase flights into SJU ?

Hysterical.

I can't believe the garbage people posts on this forum, and that others actually believe it.

The commuters are all talking about this as well ( there in a frenzy), at least the portion of JB flying all the JFK-SJU-JFK, except 2.

The commuters are all talking about this as well ( there in a frenzy), at least the portion of JB flying all the JFK-SJU-JFK, except 2.

Well the commuters need to be all be reminded that there is no way AA could "hand over" portions of its flying - to SJU or any other city - to JetBlue. In order to collude in a manner that would allow AA and JetBlue to coordinate which airline flew which routes, AA would have to either have antitrust immunity with JetBlue, or buy them outright - and in either case, the commuters in a "frenzy" would then have much more to discuss.

Well the commuters need to be all be reminded that there is no way AA could "hand over" portions of its flying - to SJU or any other city - to JetBlue. In order to collude in a manner that would allow AA and JetBlue to coordinate which airline flew which routes, AA would have to either have antitrust immunity with JetBlue, or buy them outright - and in either case, the commuters in a "frenzy" would then have much more to discuss.

I thnik there always in a frenzy ;)

The JetBlue part of the deal makes sense. AA can no longer compete with JetBlue and Spirit or whatever other low cost airline is now going to SJU. But with the agreement AA and JetBlue have they can continue to make money off the connecting passengers flying through SJU. JetBlue get the revenue from JFK to SJU and AA gets the revenue from SJU to whatever island Eagle hops into.

JetBlue and American Airlines do not have anti-trust. They cannot collude, coordinate and plan scheduling together.

The rumor is false. Its ridiculous that people believe this garbage.