AA flight overshoots runway in Jamaica

I'm pretty sure that coming out and mentioning pay being a cause for unsafe piloting is not the way for the union to go. I suppose this idiot thought it would be a clever way to try to get a pay raise for pilots.
I'm in the industry and the only thing this comment does it gets me pissed over the idea that someone would risk everyone's life and try to land in a situation he/she didn't feel was safe just because they were worrying about the possibility they would lose a few hours pay. If I were that pilot I'd be backpedaling away from any hint that this might be true and I'd also be mad that the entity that is supposed to represent him was already botching it up with the media.

I flew for 35 years as a f/a and NEVER did I ever feel a pilot compromised safety for anything..

I flew for 35 years as a f/a and NEVER did I ever feel a pilot compromised safety for anything..

I have never felt that way either and it boggles my mind that the pilot's union is implying that it could be a determining factor that would push a pilot into taking risks.

I have never felt that way either and it boggles my mind that the pilot's union is implying that it could be a determining factor that would push a pilot into taking risks.

Can't fix stupid.

Merry Christmas Chris. Hope it is a safe one (at home).

American Airlines has announced that due to reduction of the fleet by one 737 they have made the painful decision to layoff 6 pilots and 16 flight attendants. American has said they made this move to protect its stockholders and to sustain its long term viability in this competitive environment.

Sarcasm.

You too Nancy. I'm working, though. Should be good anyway. I'm making my crew stuffed shells with a parmesan bechamel sauce as I type.
Don't get any sauce on that keyboard, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, as I wait for my work package here at the terminal...... :up:

Attachments

• Pilot.jpg
    Pilot.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 149
I thought the reports said "the engines detached?"

The left still looks pretty attached to me. Or maybe that is only cowling...

One engine definitely.....
In the event of a breakaway, the whole engine cowling and all breaks of at pylon.

One engine definitely.....
In the event of a breakaway, the whole engine cowling and all breaks of at pylon.
Thank you, although I did realize that. I was being sarcastic of the media coverage of events such as these.

I have been an AMT (not practicing any longer after the NWA strike) since 1985.

Yea that was a controlled glide into the water at normal glide slope rate in VFR conditions. It was a smooth landing although it was on the water. Can not compare the two.
[/quote]
I wonder what an A-320 would have looked like, if the situation were reversed !
[/qoute]
You could compare this crash to AAB737.
4563167369.jpg.400.jpg

Someone asked me the other day what I thought happened. Half-jokingly I said, "Duh. They landed halfway down the runway." I thought they were supposed to use every possible inch of runway if the weather is bad.

Good thing AMR is a Texas corporation. A little duct tape--we can placard the rest of that stuff--and put that puppy back to work. :up:

I used to look forward to always informative posts from you. Sadly, that is no longer the case.

Back