AA Raises EU Fuel Surcharges

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
US Airlines Raise Fuel Surcharges On Flights To Europe

CHICAGO (AP)--AMR Corp.s (AMR) American Airlines and Northwest Airlines (NWA) have raised their fuel surcharges for flights to Europe by an additional $20 per round trip, an air fare expert says.

The surcharges take effect Wednesday.

The total fuel surcharge on U.S. flights to London on those carriers now totals $242, says Tom Parsons, who operates the travel Web site Bestfares.com. That's on top of fares that are surging as U.S. airlines try to recoup some of the extra expense of soaring fuel prices.

Parsons says Americans traveling to Europe this summer will face a triple whammy of higher fuel surcharges, higher air fares and the high cost of the euro.

He says total costs of U.S.-to-Europe flights this summer will be two to three times what they are now.

Ok, lets see if they have the cajones to make it stick this time! Twenty bucks ain't squat, even if the competition doesn't follow! Its either make the pax pay or take it from the employees in some other form. I prefer to let those that use it, pay it!

Here's what I don't understand... why this insistence on using a fuel surcharge throughout the industry? Why not just included it in the base fare? People would understand that fares go up when oil prices go up, but tacking on surcharges for this and fees that you have to pay when you buy the ticket (not for receiving extra services)... It just seems dishonest to me. I'd prefer for all the charges and surcharges to be included in the base fare.

Latest posts