AA will take 767 and 777 jets it cant afford

Effective with the 3/02/03 schedule change:

AA will discontinue JFK-OAK, but will add a third JFK-LGB. ORD-LGB will also be dropped, but a fifth DFW-LGB will be added with a 738. And a ORD-OGG nonstop 763 will start in April. Quite a few more changes as well, but I can't remember anymore off the top of my head.

Besides the aforementioned JFK-FCO/BCN, I would imagine that these a/c will mostly be used to replace the 14 762s that are being parked. Hopefully, the new configuration will also open up some new domestic routes profitably. Perhaps JFK-ANC summer only, MIA-SEA, and others of the type might work. We might even see a reduction in frequencies in some markets...ie LAX-DFW 2 Md80s to 1 763.

As has been stated though, there really seems to be no need for these a/c.

I seem to recall parking those aircraft was specifically targeted at delaying their heavy/MBV checks.

UAL has not flown ORD-Hawaii for a couple years now (due to crew rest language in their pilot contract), so "taking away" the STL-OGG nonstop and putting into UAL's hometown is probably a smart move.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/26/2003 10:06:01 PM DFWFSC wrote:

And a ORD-OGG nonstop 763 will start in April.
----------------
[/blockquote]

ORD-OGG is being moved from STL to ORD, so it's a wash as far as being a "new" flight.

On the issue of new "unneeded aircraft," I thought the parking of 14 767's and 28 MD80's, as well as the early retirement of the F100's was done partly in anticipation of the arrival of these new aircraft. I'm sure a use will be found for them.

MK

Latest posts