AFA & Jerry Glass

mlt

Senior
Dec 2, 2002
www.usaviation.com
AFA-Council 40 (Pittsburgh) has an interesting read on Jerry Glass (Senior Exec VP) who is in charge of negotiating labors'' contracts. Apparently there is an element of truth in the accusations that he was brought onto the property to bust the unions. You can access AFA: [A href=http://www.afausairways.org/]www.afausairways.org[/A] (click PIT in the left hand column and scroll halfway down the page) or acces Jerry''s website at: [A href=http://www.fordharrison.com/]www.fordharrison.com[/A] (click litigation & the message appears: when they roar...we pounce.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/23/2002 9:42:28 PM Dea Certe wrote:
[P]Oh, and take a good look at the fordharrison.com website "welcome" screen. A most Freudian bit of imagery, don't you think? [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P][STRONG]how much you wanna bet 'ol davey sent their business card to UAL?should be an easy buck,ya got the same unions and negotiators.[/STRONG]

[P align=center][FONT face=Arial][/FONT][/P]

[P align=center][b][FONT face=Arial size=5]PIT 40 E-News[/FONT][/b][/P]
[P align=center][i][FONT face=Arial size=2]Local 40 PIT /PIW News[/FONT][/i][/P]
[P align=center][FONT face=Arial size=1][i]December 21/2002[/i][/FONT][/P]
[P align=right] [/P]
[P align=left][FONT size=2][FONT face=Arial][b][i]Members of Local 40,[/i][/b][/FONT]
[P] [/P][/FONT]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]I am writing to you on my way home from DCA where the entire MEC had been in session discussing the Company's latest concessionary demands. As I had written previously on December 3rd, we would engage in discussions with the Company regarding productivity savings as written in our 2002 new ratified Company restructuring agreement only if management takes more concessions beyond their present 2003 agreement, and all labor groups have negotiated agreements. In the early part of this week, CWA, IAM and AFA were threatened that if we did not come to the table, Dr. Bronner of RSA would pull his financing and force a liquidation according to the company. As you know ALPA ratified their proposal within a record breaking 5 days with NO membership ratification. Under this threat of shutting down, CWA came to a T/A followed by TWU and IAM. These Labor groups will send out their proposals from the Company for membership ratification along with AFA.[/FONT][/P][FONT size=2]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2] [/FONT][/P][/FONT]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Many of you have responded to the latest mailing I sent to you. I have read every single one, including those that have been e-mailed and placed in the AFA box; I even brought them all with me to DCA to have presented to the Company. I thank you and am grateful for your adamant direction. I want you to know that I never wavered in my position and held steadfast on my commitment to this membership to uphold the integrity of our profession and protect our collective bargaining agreement with all my strength. The Company insisted on a vote from this MEC to send it out with a "[b][u]FOR[/u][/b]" recommendation, as you know it went out with a "[b][u]FOR[/u][/b]" by majority vote. I told our MEC that I would not endorse any proposal that had any pension changes, additional unaffordable increases in medical/dental, or a reserve system that is nothing short of "[b]SLAVERY[/b]".[/FONT][/P][FONT size=2]
[P] [/P]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]Facts you should ponder:[/FONT][/i][/P]
[P] [/P][/FONT]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]1. [/b]This company had reported an operating profit in October, 2002 of $19 Million dollars, but posted a net loss of $45.6 million for the month after accounting for a $68 million restructuring charge and $21 million in interest expense according to the new filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission and federal bankruptcy court. Operating revenue for October was $572.4 Million while its operating expenses totaled $553.4 Million. About 80 percent of the revenue--$465 million--was from passenger ticket sales. The Company had cash on hand at the end of the month $830.7 Million. Obviously, this shows that their "new business model" works. That is why, I believe, RSA got involved and outbid the Texas Group out of the[/FONT] [FONT face=Arial size=2]investment in our Company. So, does it sound reasonable that Dr. Bronner the CEO (Mr. Labor Friendly) would pull his financing and attempt to ask the board to liquidate this company if he could not get the labor groups to subsidize even more for this company to ensure his profit? Ponder this for a while...[/FONT][/P][FONT size=2]
[P] [/P][/FONT]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]2. [/b]Texas Group wanted a stake in this company, but was out bid by RSA by $40 million, and the creditor's board and the courts allowed for RSA to be the new stake holders of our company. Do you think that two months later, that Texas Group would not want a piece of our company? We still have labor concessions totaling $850 million, alliance with United who is now free of their creditors, RJs relief from ALPA in place... "fresh start" bankruptcy. Do you think Texas Group would not be interested in our company again? [b]"[i]Hey Dr. Bronner, don't let the door hit you in the head; I would hate that for you.[/i]"[/b][/FONT][/P][FONT size=2]
[P] [/P][/FONT]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]3.[/b] The lump sum return that is in this Co. proposal scheduled for 2007 is only for those flight attendants who are not furloughed and on the property at that time on "mainline". If you happen to flow into Mid-Atlantic...you're out of luck.[/FONT][/P][FONT size=2]
[P] [/P][/FONT]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]4.[/b] Keep in mind that any productivity savings given to this management means more lost jobs than the 4,700 that will be gone as of January 7, 2003 since 9/11. They say that translates to somewhere in the 300 range of more jobs gone...do you think their calculation is correct? Here is a company that would not cost out what all the productivity savings proposed for the flight attendants are, admit that they didn't calculate a possible confrontation in Iraq, and that revenue decline was "off their projected mark", and that pension contribution was now a problem, and they didn't see this back in June.[/FONT][/P]
[P] [/P]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]5.[/b] The ATSB guarantee, is just that a guaranteed loan by the government. We are [b]NOT[/b] borrowing from the government; they only guarantee who ever finances us. (Just like the FDIC at your bank). In my mind, I do not believe United really cares if they get the ATSB approval. I believe their attempt to qualify for the ATSB, is to get their Labor cost low and in line just like US Airways. Their filing for bankruptcy was to rid themselves of dept and prove to their stockholders that they tried. Genius, don't you think? Just watch the rest of the "big six"; down size and furlough, break the unions.[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2] [/FONT][/P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]6.[/b] [IMG alt="Jerry Glass of Ford and Harrisson Consultants" src="http://www.afausairways.org/FA/glass_jerry1.jpg" align=left border=0] This new management team will be sending you out information on how very important it is for you to vote "[b]FOR[/b]" this proposal, and attempt to discredit those leaders who speak out. One of our new Labor Friendly Relations senior executives, who came on board this past March and who "[i]spear heads[/i]" all these negotiations, has a Labor Relations Consulting firm. He was hired here to do a job and that was to get labor concessions from all the unionized groups, along with some other new folks that are all VPs. What I was able to investigate is that he is affiliated with a company called [A href="http://www.fordharrison.com/fh/practice/litigation.asp" target=_blank]Ford and Harrison Labor Consultants[/A]. And if you go to their web page and hit "[A href="http://www.fordharrison.com/fh/practice/litigation.asp" target=_blank]Litigation[/A]" (http://www.fordharrison.com/fh/practice/litigation.asp), you will see that their motto regarding Unions is ...[b]"When they roar...we pounce"[/b]. Remember, Borman liquidated Eastern...anyone hear from him since then? Where are Lorenzo and Carl Icahn? Anyone heard from them?[/FONT]
[P][b][FONT face=Arial size=2][i]Salient points of the revisions to our restructuring agreement in the Company's proposal:[/i][/FONT][/P][FONT size=2]
[P] [/P]
[P][FONT face=Arial]Effective date: January 1, 2003[/FONT][/P]
[P] [/P]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]Productivity:[/FONT][/i][/P][/FONT][/b]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Modify duty rigs and VM: rig 1:2 changed to 1:2.25 for day (0600-2159) and 1:2 for night (2200--0559): Variable Minimum day of 5 hours with [b]NO FLOOR OR CEILING[/b].[/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL][b][FONT size=2]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]Claiming Sick Leave:[/FONT][/i][/P][/FONT][/b]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Line holders: may claim sick leave to [b]ONLY [/b]the line value post SAP, post over projection adjustments or preferential bid award (which ever is in effect) for the month [b]MINUS 5 HOURS UNLESS THE SICK CLAIM IS FOR MORE THAN 1/2 OF THE LINE VALUE, IN WHICH CASE THE F/A MAY CLAIM UP TO THE LINE VALUE BY USE OF SICK BANK. [/b][/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL][b]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][i]Example - [/i][/FONT][/b][FONT face=Arial size=2]If you are on 95 hour option and your post sap is 80 hour line, you can claim 75 hours sick;[b] NOT 80 [/b]and not your option no matter how much bank time you have. If you claim only one trip sick and fly the rest of the month you may not be able to claim the entire trip sick. Ex. I am on 95Hr/option and have a line worth 80 hours. I call in sick for a 4 day worth 20 hours, and then fly 74 hours to try to get to my option...and then add the 20 hours to come in with 94 hours...[b]WRONG[/b]... you can only claim [u]1 hour[/u] sick bank time...as your line was worth 80 hours minus 5 hours plus your 74 hours flown plus 1 hour sick bank get you to 75 hours only. You would have to keep on flying and claim nothing out of your bank in order to have a full paycheck. So be careful and plan on never ever getting sick because you will be going home with less pay for that month, and when and if you decide to access your medical, remember you have deductibles and co-pays to pay out. So, it depends on what you fly and what your line value is minus 5 hours always. In essence calling in sick and using your sick bank is a penalty of less take home pay for the month. Reserves: (much worse) A reserve's sick claim, when added to [b]PREVIOUS AND SUBSEQUENT FLYING and OTHER CREDITED TIME [/b](training etc) for that month, [b]MAY NOT EXCEED YOUR MONTHLY GUARANTEE! [/b]However [b]ONLY[/b] those reserves who are on 90-95 and l00-l05 hr option [b]CAN[/b] claim sick up to their option [b]MINUS[/b] (of course) 5 hours. [b][i][u]Good job management! Who thought of that? Would you say that this new management cares for their employees? Is this labor friendly in your opinion?[/u][/i][/b][/FONT][/P][b][FONT size=2]
[P] [/P]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]LTD:[/FONT][/i][/P][/FONT][/b]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]120 day waiting replaces the 90 day wait and only 50% of your earnings instead of 60%.[/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL][FONT size=2][b]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]OJI:[/FONT][/i][/P][/b]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial]Salary continuance of 6 months replaces 15 months.[/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL][b]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]MEDICAL/DENTAL CONTRIBUTIONS:[/FONT][/i][/P][/b][/FONT]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Additional increases in contributions in options 2 and 3 and are higher than previously negotiated commencing in 2003. (Company will reopen the enrollment in January in case f/as find that the option they chose in October is unaffordable). Also [b]DEDUCTIBLES WILL NOT REMAIN A CONSTANT GOING FORWARD.[/b] They will commence increasing in 2005 along with co-pays. Please read the packet on medical carefully.[/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL][FONT size=2][b]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]Dental increases respectively.[/FONT][/i][/P]
[P] [/P]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]PENSION: [/FONT][/i][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial]NO CHANGES[/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL]
[P] [/P]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]RESERVE MODIFICATION:[/FONT][/i][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial]NO[/FONT][/b][FONT face=Arial] passing.[/FONT] [/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial]Time balancing that is driven by credited time NOT seniority.[/FONT] [/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial]No increase in guarantee to go along with these changes.[/FONT] [/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial]Increase in Involuable days from 6 to 8, but still having 11 days off. (Please read the details in the Company Proposal).[/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL][b]
[P] [/P]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]WAR CONTINGENCY:[/FONT][/i][/P][/b][/FONT]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]5% wage cut (deferral) if in the event that the US invades Iraq OR there is an act of terrorism which has an adverse impact on commercial aviation, there will be an immediate 5% pay cut (deferral) for up to 18 months and repayment will commence [b]AFTER[/b] these 18 months in monthly installments. If the co. reports a pre tax profit with respect to any quarter during which the pay deferral is in effect, the deferral will immediately stop and repayment will begin in the next month to continue for the same number of months as were included in the deferral, management will participate in this deferral as well.[/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL][b][FONT size=2]
[P] [/P]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]PREFERENTIAL BIDDING:[/FONT][/i][/P][/FONT][/b]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]All primary lines, SAP, and secondary lines will be replaced with Preferential bidding system.[/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL][b][FONT size=2]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial]Bid sheet modification: [/FONT][/i][/P][/FONT][/b]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Change is that there will be [b]NO[/b] minimum requirement of 10% open time (sec. 9.B.4 eliminated. So, is the bid sheet still there?[/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL][FONT size=2][b]
[P][FONT face=Arial][i]EQUITY PARTICIPATION: [/i][/FONT][/b][FONT face=Arial](This [b]ONLY[/b] means vesting, [b]NOT[/b] receiving payment)[b] [/b][/FONT][/P][/FONT]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]25% schedule until you reach 100% vesting which takes three years). Accelerated the vesting schedule to reflect 25% on the first day of the month 60 days after the emergence from bankruptcy. (Please read the details in the proposal) Also receive a lump sum payment no later than March 2007 and March 2008 of 2% of adjusted w-2 earnings from the preceding year [b](DOES NOT INCLUDE MDA EARNINGS WHICH IS PROBABLY MUCH BIGGER AT THAT TIME, AND IF YOU ARE STILL FLYING MAINLINE AND NOT FURLOUGHED OR IN MDA).[/b][/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL][b]
[P][FONT size=2][i][FONT face=Arial]MID ATLANTIC:[/FONT][/i][/P][/FONT][/b][FONT size=2]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial]No contract negotiations.[/FONT] [/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial]Division of mainline.[/FONT] [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Mirror contract of present American Eagle's flight attendant agreement (they are currently in negotiations, and if they receive a better agreement, we won't get that). AFA International states that their agreement is one of the worst in the Industry.[/FONT] [/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]As your union representative, I will [b]NOT[/b] give you a recommendation on how you should vote for this proposal. Our negotiating Committee of MEC Officers (Pres and Vice) attempted to negotiate with this company for two straight days, [SPAN]hour upon hour, while we, the MEC, [/SPAN][SPAN]waited[/SPAN] in the hotel conference room for them to return. [b]AGAIN,[/b] the idea by this "new" management team was "demand and concede. I believe that we as flight attendants are worth much more than this company is willing to recognize, and I do not believe that a job that only provides me to pay a few of my household bills and borrow the rest on a VISA is considered a "good job". I can find those kinds of jobs anywhere. Each flight attendant will have to evaluate what this job means to them personally and financially, consider what you can live with and how long. No matter what the outcome, I can live with what comes next if this fails; I have already thought it through. You decide.[/FONT][/P][b][FONT size=2]
[P] [/P][/FONT][/b]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]In a broader sense our actions as labor will have a rippled effect across our industry as well as all industries where there are unions and those attempting to organize as there now has started a "domino effect" with these major airlines running to get their "free pass" and "fresh start" by filing for Chapter 11 or those who are entertaining the idea to file. This I know is a [b]FATAL STEP FOR ORGANIZED LABOR.[/b] It is the Labor Relations consultant that sits up there in the crystal palace who has been hired by our Company, who will be considered KING and be able to write his own ticket to "bust" as many unions as he can if he succeeds in getting labor to concede to all of their demands in the future. It is we who will have to endure the pain for 7 years of our viable working careers. [/FONT][/P][b]
[P] [/P][/b]
[P][FONT size=2][FONT face=Arial]Will I facilitate him in piercing the very heart of our contract...[b]N - E - V - E - R![/b][/FONT][/P][b]
[P] [/P][/b]
[P][FONT face=Arial]Together we stand,[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT face=Arial]Teddy Xidas[/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT face=Arial]LEC President, Local 40 PIT/PIW[/FONT][/P][/FONT]

[P align=left][FONT face=Verdana][FONT size=2]IMPORTANT READ[/FONT][/u][FONT size=2]:[/FONT][/b] [FONT size=1][i]This is the PHL News-Line 70 from Mollie McCarthy LECP. If you would like to respond to Mollie, please use this email address [A href="mailto:[email protected]?subject=News-Line 70"][email protected][/A]. This newsletter is also available on the PHL page of AFA US Airways. Subscribe to News-Line 70 from [A href="http://www.afausairways.org/phl/phlemailform.html"]here[/A]. [/i][/FONT][/FONT]
[P] [FONT face=Arial size=2] [BR][/FONT][FONT face=Arial size=1][i][BR]December 23, 2002[/i][/FONT][FONT face=Arial size=2][BR][BR][b]Dear Members of Council 70,[/b][BR][BR][b][i]'Surrender All - Or Perish'[/i][/b][BR]Would more accurately describe recent 'talks' with this new management team than to say we had negotiations or a meeting of the minds. In my opinion there were no true negotiations, just demands and threats. [BR][BR]While in DCA, I stayed in touch with the office on a daily basis. I want to thank our office staff especially Mariellen and Roger for holding down the fort and keeping me informed of your concerns, wishes and ideas. I want to thank them for taking on a tremendous amount of work and for letting me do what I could in DCA. [BR][BR]In addition to staying abreast of your calls, I read every one of your e-mails and letters. I want you to know that I passed your ideas and concerns on to the negotiating committee and kept all of you constantly in my thoughts. Although I was to be the reserve consultant and Carol Austin was to be the consultant for scheduling and retirement issues, neither of us were asked to join in the talks. In all fairness to Perry, the company was not open to much about the reserves and as you will see, the one thing we were able to fully protect was our retirement. I want you to know that while in meetings with the AFA advisors and negotiators, I fought and pushed, never wavering in demanding more from our negotiators and the company. Two or three times the negotiators and AFA advisors returned to the hotel conference room where the MEC waited. We were told 'Nothing more, the company is done' and still I pushed right up to the time the company was to leave and file their reorganization plan. [i]I held my position and my commitment to you to protect our bargaining agreement and the integrity of our profession. I must tell you that under any other circumstances, I would not have even agreed to send you something so unworthy of you and our profession. [/i][BR][BR]To be quite honest, I have very little faith in anything management or the people from Alabama are currently saying. They believe they hold all the cards and are sadly unwilling to tell the Labor Unions what is really happening. I am not a psychic nor have use of a crystal ball but if I had to make an educated guess I would say, that as of now, there is no real intention to put US Airways into Chapter 7, as reported in the media. What I believe is happening is an effort on the part of management to do away with many of our work rules and benefits, to make [b]THEIR[/b] jobs easier. In fact if pressed, I believe the Company would tell you any savings that will come out of the reduction in work rules/benefits will not be seen for as much as 18 months. [BR][BR]I could erupt (like [b][SPAN][i]Mount Saint Mollie[/i][/SPAN][/b]) and tell you that what is happening is Union busting, sweet and simple, but I won't because I do not believe that "it is" that simple. What I will tell you is that the loss of any of the targeted work rules/benefits will hit your pocket book both now and later when you contemplate retirement. I should also say that the Medical changes will cause you to have to reassess your health care needs, most likely downward, and that the Reserve changes border on legalized servitude.[BR][BR][b]I DO NOT[/b] want to see the loss of all of our jobs, but neither do I want to see us give away what we have worked so hard to achieve in the past. More importantly, I do not want to put us, or those who follow us, as US Airways FA's in the position of being used as the Company's revenue adjustment valve. Need money? Take away more work rules and benefits from the Employees, they won't mind.[BR][BR]As of right now I have a cautious but optimistic assessment of US Airways' future, just as long as management is not willing to put the Airline out of existence just to show the Unions who holds the stick and the carrot. You have to make your own decision based on what is best for you and your family, not just for now, but three to five years down the road. It is a tough choice and I apologize for you having to face it, particularly at this time of year.[BR][BR]I believe this management team will either directly or indirectly go after anyone who speaks out on what is happening. Maybe that is why so many seem so silent. I ask that if you hear rumors about me or have concerns about anything, whether good or bad, come to me directly. I will give you an honest answer.[BR][BR]Below is a breakdown of the Company's last and final proposal. The full proposal can be read on the PHL Bulletin Board and will also be put on the PHL web site as soon as it becomes available. Okay, Let's get started![BR]---------------------------------- [BR][BR][b]Effective Date: January 1, 2003.[/b] [i]FYI, Our time to vote does not end until January 10, 2003. [/i][BR][BR][b]Compensation:[/b] No later than March 1, 2007 and March 1, 2008, each eligible flight attendant will receive a lump sum payment equal to 2% of Adjusted W-2 earning for the preceding year (does [b]NOT[/b] include MDA earnings) [BR][BR][b]Productivity:[/b] [/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Modify duty rigs and VM: rig 1:2 changed to 1:2.25 for day (0600-2159) and 1:2 for night (2200--0559): Variable Minimum day of 5 hours with [b]No Floor or Ceiling[/b]. [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][i][b]Example # 1[/b][/i] -Under the old 1 for 2 rig, a 13+30-hour duty day used to pay 6+45. Under the new 1 for 2.25 rig, the same 13+30-hour duty day, will now only pay 6-hours. A loss of 45-minutes of pay.[BR][BR][b][i]Example # 2[/i][/b] - For this example we are looking at a 2-day trip. The first day has 7-hours of hard time, the second day has 1+30-hours of hard time. Under the old VM day you would receive a total pay of 11+00-hours (7+00 hard time for the first day and 4+00 for a min second day). Under the 'New' min day the trip will only pay a total of 10-hours, (7+00 hard time for the first day remains the same, however, the second day will only receive 3-hours of pay which would bring you to the necessary combination of a minimum of 5-hours per day). We will no longer have a floor of 4-hours or a ceiling of 6-hours so in this example not having the floor reduces the trip hours by one. [BR][BR][b]Claiming Sick Leave:[/b] [/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Line holders: may claim sick leave to the line value (post-SAP, post over-projection adjustments or Preferential Bid award which ever is in effect) for the month Minus 5-hours unless the sick claim is for more than ½ of the line value, in which case the FA may claim up to the line value by use of his/her sick bank. [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][i][b]Example # 1[/b][/i] - You are on the 75-hour option and your awarded line value for the month is 75-hours. You call in sick for one (1) 4-day trip worth 20-hours. This is less than ½ of your line value so you will only be able to claim what you fly plus the amount of sick that will take you to 70-hours total for the month. If you need the full 75-hours to survive, you will need to fly it all. However, if you call in sick for TWO 4-day trips worth a combined total of 40-hours (more than ½ your line value), then you can claim sick up to 75-hours. [BR][BR][b][i]Example # 2[/i][/b]-You are on the 95-hour option. Your awarded line value for the month is 80-hours. You call in sick for TWO (2) 4-day trips worth a combined total of 40-hours. 40-hours is ½ of your 80-hour line value but [b][i]NOT MORE[/i][/b] than ½ the line value. You fly 55-hours for the month thinking you will claim the two 4-days trips and thereby end the month with 95-hours. Wrong, you will only be able to claim 20-hours of sick. 80-5=75, 55+20=75. In order to make your normal monthly wage of 95-hours, you would need to fly it all claiming NOTHING from your sick bank [/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Sick claim for Reserves: Hard to believe but the above is nothing compared to what this 'labor friendly' management team has done to reserve flight attendants. If on the 55, 75 or non-option, a reserve may NOT claim more than their [i][b]MONTHLY GUARANTEE! [/b][/i]If you are on the 55-hour option that equates to a max of 41-hours. 75-hour option = 61-hours and Non - Option Flight attendants although can fly to a max of 90-hours may only claim sick up to 71-Hours! [BR][/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]A 95-hour or 105-hour option reserve may claim up to 90 and 100 hours respectively. Which is another way the company will drive reserves to higher options thereby allowing this 'labor friendly' new management team to get rid of even more flight attendants. [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b][i]Example:[/i][/b] A Non-option FA flies 80-hours for the month and calls in sick for a 2-day trip worth 10-hours. What can they claim from their sick bank? [b][i]Answer:[/i][/b] [b][u]NOTHING-ZIP-ZILCH-ZERO-NADA[/u][/b]. So much for being the lowest paid and having a sick bank that you cannot even utilize to help make up for time lost due to an illness. However, if you were to call in sick for the whole month, you can claim 71-hours from your sick bank. Not only is this a travesty, it makes NO sense. [BR][BR][b]Modified Reserve System: [/b] [/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]After the lines of time are awarded, the remaining flight attendants will bid and be awarded a reserve line (No more Secondary Lines) [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Reserves may bid for days off [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Automatic release after trip award. [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Eight (8) inviolable day (total of 11-days off in a month 8 are now INV-days) [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]NO Passing [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Trips by Seniority - GONE [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Ability to check for scheduling errors - GONE [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Scheduling process for reserves [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[BLOCKQUOTE]
[BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b][i]1. [/i][/b]Time balancing. Least hours gets trip depending on number of days available. [BR][b][i]2.[/i][/b] Reserves with fewer available days than the trip flies will not be passed over. A reserve may split a trip for days(s) off, however, if there are no other reserves available to complete the trip, the company may require a reserve to fly into his non-immovable day(s) off to complete the trip, and such days off shall be restored. Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, the reserve, at his option, may fly into his days off to complete a trip and such days shall not be restored [BR][b][i]3.[/i][/b] Blackout periods? To be discussed.[BR][b][i]4. [/i][/b]In the event that multiple trips are open at the time of processing, the reserve must select a trip, which does not require a split if one is available (the reserve may negate a split by fling into a day(s) off).[BR][b][i]5. [/i][/b] High option (95-105) FA's may continue to pick up trips on days off, and time picked up on days off is not taken into account for purposes of determining credited monthly projected hours. [/FONT][/P][/BLOCKQUOTE][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]In my opinion what was the best reserve system in the industry would now be the [b][i]WORST.[/i][/b] I foresee seniority stagnation, loss of jobs and even lower employee morale. FYI; If all the VF's came back to the line today, the bottom of our seniority list would fall in the middle of 1993. Just a little something, for those of you who believe reserve will never touch you personally, to think about before voting. [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]See full proposal for additional information on new Reserve System.[BR][BR][b]Preferential Bidding System: [/b][BR][/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Primary Lines - [b][i]GONE[/i][/b] [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]SAP - [b][i]GONE[/i][/b] [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]10% minimum open time requirement - [b][i]GONE[/i][/b] [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Implementation no later than June 2004. [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Monthly trip pairings to be the same as the pilots [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Line values must fall between 70 and 85 hours. If unable to bid a line wo70-hours or greater, the FA will be awarded [b]0[/b] time [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]See full proposal for additional information on Pref. Bid [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]Mid Atlantic (MDA):[/b] [/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]No contract negotiations. [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Separate Division within Mainline. [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Reduced pay. For example, a 75-hour Mainline USA FA makes approximately $29.000 per year. On MDA that same FA will only make approximately $18,000 [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Wages, benefits and work rules will match the AA Eagle FA agreement (one of the worst in the industry). [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]A FA may bid or be displaced to MDA subject to restrictions to be negotiated. [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]LTD:[/b] [/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]120 day waiting replaces the 90-day ([i][b]This adds another month that you will not be able to access LTD pay for a total now of 4-months!)[/b][/i] To add insult to injury, your LTD pay will decrease from 60% of your earnings to only 50%. [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]OJI:[/b] [/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Our Salary continuance, if hurt while on the job, was 3-YEARS. In the May 2000 contract we reduced this amount to 15-months. Salary continuance, if hurt while on the job, will now total 6-months only. Protect yourself while on the job, if possible, get additional insurance and do [b][i]NOT[/i][/b] put your health in ANY unnecessary jeopardy. [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]Medical & Dental Contributions:[/b] [/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Charts can be found on the PHL Bulletin Board and will be on the PHL web site as soon as they become available. [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Increase in monthly contribution for options 2 & 3 (the options in which the majority of employees picked during the enrollment period). [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Company will reopen the enrollment in the first quarter, until then previous contributions will apply. [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Deductibles will [b]NOT[/b] remain constant. Commencing 2005, deductibles will increase along with co-pays. Please read the packet on medical carefully.[BR]Dental increases respectively. [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]Pension: [/b] [/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][i][b]NO CHANGES[/b][/i] [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][BR][b]War Contingency:[/b][/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Immediate 5% wage cut (deferral) in the event that the US invades Iraq or there is an act of terrorism that has a material adverse impact on commercial aviation. [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Wage cuts for a maximum of 18-months. [/FONT][/P]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]Repayment, in monthly installments, will commence [b]AFTER[/b] the 18-month period[BR]See full proposal for more details. [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]Equity Participation: [/b][i]ONLY[/i] means vesting, [b]NOT[/b] payment [/FONT][/P]
[UL]
[LI]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2]25% on the first day of the month that occurs at least 60 days following emergence from bankruptcy and another 25% every January 1 until 100% is reached (Takes 3-years). [/FONT][/P][/LI][/UL]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][b]Reduction in Force by at least another 315 flight attendants[/b][BR][BR][b]The company originally asked us for 26M, however, would NOT cost out their proposals. [/b][BR][BR]To the best of my knowledge, we will be the last of the unions to vote. Regardless of what this new management team would like you and the media to believe, we are [b]NOT[/b] the [b]LEAST[/b] productive FA's in the industry. Here are some facts you should know before you vote.[BR][BR][BR][b]Comparison Between the Have's and the Have Not's [/b][BR][i][b]Are We Really the Least Productive FA's in the Industry? [/b][/i][BR][BR][i]In the news Nov. 26, 2002[BR][BR]"Our airline has some of the most inefficient work rules in the industry that drive up our costs in ways we can no longer afford in this new, tough revenue environment," said David Siegel, US Airways' president and chief executive, in a prepared statement. Mr. Siegel added that changing some of these rules would make the company more competitive, without the need to further reduces pay rates." [/i][BR][BR]I guess Mr. Siegel does not think raising our Medical premiums directly reduces our pay. Yet when senior management states they are giving up their whole life insurance premium policy along with the cash value what does that mean? As they do not say much, one can only guess but I do not believe those who have been here less than a year have built up much value in the policy. The issue here is how much is this 'New' senior management really sacrificing? We need to see it all in writing [b][i]BEFORE[/i][/b] we vote. [BR][BR][b]Management states we are the least productive well, I did a little research and this is what I found. At 15-year Domestic rates, we make:[/b][BR]-- [b]$10.35 / $17.96[/b] (incentive) less an hour than American, [BR]-- [b]$7.39[/b] an hour less than Southwest, [BR]-- [b]$7.32[/b] an hour less than Alaska, [BR]-- [b]$6.27[/b] less than North West, [BR]-- [b]$6.63[/b] less than Continental, [BR]-- [b]$3.46 / $20.07[/b] (incentive) an hour less than Delta and [BR]-- [b]$2.44[/b] less an hour than United [BR][BR]The differences between the wage of those above and ours should pay for a lot of productivity wouldn't you think?[BR][BR]Even before we vote on the newest round of concessions, [BR][i]Our reserves receive: [/i][BR][b]1. Less monthly guarantee, [/b][BR][b]2. Fewer guaranteed days off in a month and [/b][BR][b]3. Longer duty days (with the exception of CO) than all the airlines listed above.[/b][BR][BR]At topped-out pay, based on Annual Domestic 75-hour Yield, USA FA's rank number 11 behind AA, DAL, SWA, Alaska, Continental Micronesia, NWA, CAL, UAL, Aloha and Hawaiian.[BR][BR]But according to the Forbes 500, our CEO ranks number 5 in pay for commercial passenger airlines behind; Bethune-Continental, Carty-American, Parker-Southwest, and Mullins-Delta. Yes, according to Forbes, Mr. Siegel ranks higher than the CEO's from Northwest, United, Alaska etc. [BR][BR]Once upon a time our management wanted us to have SWA pay and work rules, how times have changed. Now management wants us to be like Jet Blue or America West. Are they willing to do the same?[BR][BR]According to the Executive Compensation Report for 2001:[BR][BR][u][b]David Neeleman, CEO Jet Blue[/b][/u]; Total Value of Ann. Compensation: $305, 280 [BR][BR][u][b]Stephen Wolf, US Airways[/b][/u]; Total Value of Annual Compensation: $2,017,616 (this does not include the 2001 grant of 390,000 stock options but does take into account the fact that Wolf declined to take a salary from 9/1/01 through 12/31/01. He was non-executive chairman.)[BR][BR][u][b]Herb Kelleher, CEO (at that time) Southwest Airlines;[/b][/u] Total Value of Annual Compensation: $638,522 (this does not include the 555,844 stock options he was granted in 2001)[BR][BR]I keep reading and hearing how well Neeleman is doing over at Jet Blue and we all know how Herb built Southwest to be one of the greatest success stories in aviation history, so [i][b]why are they paid so much less than Wolf[/b][/i] who is not even the CEO. Only time will tell if Mr. Siegel is the [i]'least productive CEO'[/i] in the industry or not. [BR][BR]I can find Dave Siegel's name on the Forbes list of the top 500 highest paid CEO's but I have not been able to find the CEO's of America West or Jet Blue. [BR][BR]Forbes.com: Keep Your CEO Out Of Grad School[BR][A href="http://www.forbes.com/2002/04/25/0425ceoschools.html" target=_blank]http://www.forbes.com/2002/04/25/0425ceoschools.html[/A][BR][BR]Forbes.com: All Pay Cuts Are Not Alike[BR][A href="http://www.forbes.com/2002/05/01/0501sf.html" target=_blank]http://www.forbes.com/2002/05/01/0501sf.html[/A][BR][BR][BR]All things taken into consideration, our 1986 contract is much better than the one we presently work under. Would any of the present day airline CEO's be willing to go back to their 1986 contracts? [BR][BR]---------------[BR]BTW, I want to thank everyone who forwarded me e-mails you have received from management. If you or anyone you know has an email from management please send it to [A href="mailto:[email protected]"][email protected][/A]. Your name and information will remain confidential. Thanks in advance.[BR][BR]We have until January 10, 2003 to vote. They will need to decide if a few changes are worth fighting over. Will they fold this company and destroy their own reputations for a little relief? Who knows? WE are the biggest base, which means WE have the biggest voice/vote. If there was ever a time we needed to use our numbers to our benefit, [b][i]THAT TIME IS NOW![/i][/b] Every single PHL/PHW FA needs to vote. [BR][BR]Everything I write is read by Management, they are reading this (Hi Mike). I will be sending you more on what we can do in the near future, but for now, try and enjoy the holiday. The ONLY thing that scares this management is the [b][i]POWER of YOUR VOTE[/i][/b]. Regardless if you vote for this or not, management will not know until January 10, 2003, until then, there is still maybe a time to talk. Let's all stand United or we will all be beggars together in the end.[BR][BR]Let me leave you with two of my favorite quotes. Some of you have seen these before but never together. [BR][BR][i]"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin-1759[/i][BR][BR][i]"We must all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin[/i][BR][BR]I have one last word for this management team. [/FONT][b][FONT face=Arial size=3]'N-U-T-S' [/FONT][/b][FONT face=Arial size=2][BR][BR]Those too young or who hated history in school here is a little insight. [BR][BR][i]In December 1944, a far Superior German Force, in a small town in Eastern Belgium called Bastogne, surrounded four units of the 101st Airborne. On December 22nd, exactly 58 years ago, an unknown American Brigadier General named McAuliffe received a note from the Germans demanding his "Unconditional" Surrender, as his position was untenable. His one word response was, "Nuts". [/i][BR][BR]Today we are faced with our own "Battle of the Bulge" as the much larger battle was called. For you history buffs, the 101st Airborne did not surrender and in January 1945 reconnected with the rest of the US Army, which went on to defeat the Germans.[BR][BR]Think about what your decision will mean to you, not tomorrow but three to five years down the road. [BR][BR][i][b]Take Care, Fly Safe and May God Bless US Airways[BR]Here is hoping you and yours have a safe and happy holiday season.[/b][/i][BR][BR]Mollie McCarthy[BR]LEC President[BR]Council 70 - PHL/PHW[BR]US Airways[BR][BR]To read the PIT E-Line, go here: [A href="http://www.afausairways.org/PIT/pit_1220.htm" target=_blank]http://www.afausairways.org/PIT/pit_1220.htm[/A][/FONT][/P]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][BR]And as a special treat, please accept this Christmas greeting from me to you![BR][A href="http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=0677110621" target=_blank]http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=0677110621[/A][/FONT][/P]
[P] [/P]

[CENTER][IMG height=109 alt="Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell" src="http://www.afausairways.org/phl/hall_bell_bw.jpg" width=115 align=center border=0]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=1]Please sign up for future PHL News Lines by submitting your Name, Payroll #, E-Mail Address and Base [b][i][A href="http://www.afausairways.org/phl/phlemailform.html" target=_blank]HERE[/A][/i][/b][/FONT]
[P][IMG height=73 src="http://www.afausairways.org/FA/snowball.gif" width=75 border=0]
[P][b][FONT face=Arial size=2][u]QUOTE[/u][/FONT][/b]
[P][i][FONT face=Arial size=1]"Union busting is a field populated by bullies and built on deceit. A campaign against a union is an assault on individuals and a war on the truth."[/FONT][/i]
[P]
[P][IMG height=43 src="http://www.afausairways.org/phl/flagstik.gif" width=60 border=0] [BR] [BR]
[P][FONT face=Arial size=2][i]"These are the times that try men's (& woman's) souls."[/i] -- [b]Thomas Paine[/b][BR][/FONT][/P]
[P][b][FONT face=Arial size=2]Past Newslines[/FONT][/b]

[P][FONT face=Arial size=1][A href="http://www.afausairways.org/phl/newsline12_02.htm" target=_blank]Dec 2[/A][/FONT] [/P]

[P][FONT face=Arial size=1][A href="http://www.afausairways.org/PHL/newsline8_22_02.htm" target=_blank]Aug 22[/A][/FONT] [/P]

[P]
[P][IMG height=57 src="http://www.afausairways.org/phl/flag2.gif" width=102 border=0]
[P]
[P align=center][i][FONT face=Arial size=1]FYI: We still have over 800 US Airways Flight Attendants out on Involuntary Furloughs. Please do not forget them as they are counting on all of us to help bring them back to work. [/FONT][/i]
[P align=center]
[P align=center]
[P align=center]
[P align=center]
[P align=center][i][FONT face=Arial size=1] [/FONT][/i][FONT face=Arial size=2][i]"We must all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin[/i][/FONT] [/CENTER][/P]

I suggest every unionist read "Confessions of a Union Buster". By Marty Levitt. Marty was in the Labor Relations consulting business for 20 years. Became an a reformed alcoholic, and tell all about when and how he was able to lie, threaten, cheat, scheme to break the "collective spirt". What an education.