Afgan Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was one of Pacific Helicopters 212s out of PNG. Aussie pilot but dont know the names yet.

Heli Ops

man this bites!!!!! :(

there's two aussie pilots on that contract and both are friends from the Gulf.....

heliops, would appreciate a PM if you get a name.......

just got word and yes, he was a friend............... :( :(

i'm getting first hand from the gulf and will post when i know more........

DAMMIT!!! he really was one of the good ones...............

412 Driver - Mark B and yes he was a good guy. May he rest in peace.

Working in a godforsaken piece of shite country trying to help these camel humpers turn their country into something and they pull crap like this., My two cents worth, burn the dam lot down, turn it into a glass parking lot and forget about it. End of my rant.

Heli Ops

amen brothers.............

here's to you Mark.........may your soul fly free and may God grant you His peace

i said i'd post news if i got it and here it is................. :(

got word from someone that was there. the machine was on the ground when attacked. mark tried to lift off but ended up rolling it over and it ended up on it's side. as mark was crawling out he was shot in the head from behind....... :angry:

pull our people, plug in the coordinates and fire at will. level that s#&thole and everyone in it. like said earlier, turn it into a glass parking lot!!

412 Driver - Mark was the consumate professional and to be shot in the back of the head by a low life, whose country he was trying to help, is the ultimate betrayal. Its not as if the 212 had camo markings on it, the dam thing was red white and black, presuming it was in the same company colours.

My two cents worth, take , napalm the place from top to bottom and then turn it all into a glass parking lot. Problem - What Problem. :up:

Unfortunately in the helicopter industry pilots and operators go where they have to or they dont have a job. In this case Mark would have lept at the chance to go somewhere new. Unfortunately it cost him his life. Those that knew him knew one of the industry's true professionals, in my opinion. He may be gone but wont be forgotten.

Heli Ops

Sorry for the brother karkin it. But have you noticed the uncomfortable silence around the racist comments and the aggressive hatred(nukemall). By this logic if a visitor to our country was killed in a FLQ explosion in 1967 then it would follow that all of Canada should be turned into a "Glass parking lot". You guys are better then this. I don't know if Mark was starving but com'n!!! Afganistan??? It's a well known dangerous place. How much was he paid?? Not enough for sure. I have seen time and again company's agreeing to contracts in places like Rwanda, Somalia, Iraq, to name a few all for a few bucks. Are the crews hugely compensated? Not!!! I was told by a ops manager that there would be no danger pay in Kuwait (6 months after the first Iraq war ended) because there was no danger. How did he know? The company would not have sent us there if it was dangerous. I you not. Three days into that job we were shot at, at night in Iraq. I don't blame the locals. They are ignorant and don't know any better. They see all Western influence as a threat to their way of life. How would you Heli-ops or 412 react if a foreign power came into Canada and started telling us how it was going to be?? You guys would be the first to head for the hills with a gun. So let's slow down a little bit with the hate posts guys. And Kyle. Are ya there?? This kind of stuff is just as important as someone calling someone else a pee-pee head or whatever. I really hope I don't see any more posts of this nature here in the future.

Deuce your comments are read and noted. The difference with this one is that Mark was not killed in an explosion, or booby trap etc. He was shot in the back of the head at point blank range by an Afghanie, or whomever as he was getting out of a civillian marked helicopter. It had no military markings on it, all it had was a big Pacific Helicopters logo. Murdered is a lot different to being a victim of war, in my opinion. We all have our opinions on this, and when friends are involved, the emotions are probably a little more pronounced than they normally would be had it not been someone we know.

I also think its hard to blame money grubbing operators, without these same operators many pilots out there wouldnt have jobs. Contracts in places such as Iran, South America and Africa are always hotly contested and yes there should be danger pay but you already stated below that if operators can get away with not paying it, then they will. Maybe HEPAC there in Canada could look at things like that, primarily when it comes to Canadian pilots and mechanics. Operators probably look at it as though if they dont send a helicopter for the contract then their competition certainly will. Just my opinion.

Maybe someone like HAI, since they seem to be the most active of worldwide associations, come up with some sort of hot spot list, and anyone going to those countries needs to abide by certain rules, ie: pay and conditions, protection etc etc. Just a thought.

Appreciate your comments and will see what 412Driver has to say on this as well.

Heli Ops

My thoughts exactly Heli Ops, and thank you for putting it so well, as I had no idea how to reply decently let alone even a with hint of grace. I hear you Deuce and for a short split micro second even gave it a thought. This however was not an "accident" as Heli Ops put it, and ignorance doesn't cut it for me, not in this case, not in any case. Emotions soar for dang sure when your home base as been threatened, that's part of being human.

Consider this, just imagine how many hopeful and desperate people of that environment would welcome change. A civilized change. To live without fear, shame or having rifles handed to little ones. To speak freely and express or experience the "western" freedom. To not have to bow or lower your half covered eyes as if you haven't the right to exist. It may never happen, but some still have dreams. No, ignorance will never cut it. Racisim is not an issue here, it wouldn't matter what color the holder of the rifle was, you don't just shoot people in the back of the head. I have no sympathy for such people who savagely get off on barbaric acts such as these and for that matter, those who support and approve are just as sick if not sicker.

Thank God for that "edit" button, forgot to mention your mention of HEPAC Heli Ops, excellent point, a huge area that needs improvement.

Hey D.B.

Just a few thoughts, in no particular order.

1) Your opinion is noted, along with everyone else's.

2) No one forces a pilot to go anywhere, if they don't like it they can say "no".

3) I assume you've never lost a loved one under circumstances such as these.

4) Glass parking lot suits me fine. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back