chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
Midwest CEO: AirTran's business is 'deteriorating'
Comments come after AirTran lays out post-merger growth plans

By RUSSELL GRANTHAM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/28/07

AirTran Airways' takeover bid for Midwest Airlines is a desperate move to shore up its own "deteriorating" business, Midwest's chief executive said Wednesday.

"AirTran's low-cost business model is in trouble," Midwest CEO Timothy Hoeksema said in a letter to his company's shareholders. "By virtually any metric, AirTran's business is deteriorating. AirTran is desperate to buy Midwest and stave off further erosion of its business."

The letter, which contained Midwest's sharpest rhetoric yet in the takeover battle, came after AirTran on Monday laid out plans to build a Milwaukee hub if the takeover succeeds. AirTran, which has its main hub in Atlanta, promised a 215-flights-per-day hub in Milwaukee that would significantly boost the city's air service and add jobs and activity to the local economy.

full story

Midwest CEO: AirTran's business is 'deteriorating'
Comments come after AirTran lays out post-merger growth plans

By RUSSELL GRANTHAM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/28/07

AirTran Airways' takeover bid for Midwest Airlines is a desperate move to shore up its own "deteriorating" business, Midwest's chief executive said Wednesday.

"AirTran's low-cost business model is in trouble," Midwest CEO Timothy Hoeksema said in a letter to his company's shareholders. "By virtually any metric, AirTran's business is deteriorating. AirTran is desperate to buy Midwest and stave off further erosion of its business."

The letter, which contained Midwest's sharpest rhetoric yet in the takeover battle, came after AirTran on Monday laid out plans to build a Milwaukee hub if the takeover succeeds. AirTran, which has its main hub in Atlanta, promised a 215-flights-per-day hub in Milwaukee that would significantly boost the city's air service and add jobs and activity to the local economy.

full story
IMHO ...this guy says we are desperate? I think he needs to look in the mirror as he defends his position. Sounds to me he is shooting from the hip now. 29 cities dumped? Well, that was pre-merger from way back and a few that did not work out since and ever since Joe has been at the wheel, we have managed quite well. Yes, we have tripped along the way but have moved forward. Mind all again, these are only my opinions. I would say FL's intentions are sincere and not to deceive anyone. We have no intention of screwing up a great airline, just combining the strengths of each. In my own honest opinion, I could care less about a "Fresh Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie". I have flown on them several times and I don't care about a damn cookie. If I am smart enough, I eat before going. Especially, if I am "Health Concious". Now when did Chocolate Chip cookies enter the "GNC Market"? Health Food Stores care to respond? Their seating on the 717 with the current configuration is nice and very comfy and that I will not knock. I wish we would do our BC with the same seats. As far as jobs, we need those folks that are already there. Other than Directors and above, I can see full integration. Upper Management, is way above where I care to fathom. As for growth, it is an opportunity for most involved. Something to consider for the Midwest Employess. We are not out to screw you. I have met many of you and have worked with you. We got along then, we can get along tomorrow.
Again, please understand these are my own opinions. No, I don't even know if we have a Kool-aid Stand and if we did, I prefer my own cup of Tea.