Airbus, American Airlines Joust Over Blame for Flight 587 Crash

The fact that the stab was repaired doesn't seem to be getting much attention. Air and Space had a very good article on this disaster. This Tail attachment is built 30% stronger than the FAA required. It did not break untill it went to 193% of its certified strenth!
More bad news for AA was testimony from a Capt who once flew with the First Officer who was at the controls of the doomed flight. He stated that this FO had a strange habit of kicking the rudders from stop to stop whenever they would go thru turbulance. FO claimed he learned this manuver from AA's Advanced manuvers course. The Capt stated this did nothing to help with the turbulance it just kicked the plane back and forth and eventually he told he not to do it again.

bagsmasher said:
No tail has ever snapped off any Boeing aircraft. If 587 had been a 767 under the exact same circumstances, there would have never been a crash.
I know this post is old as heck but I just couldn't resist. Your statement is the common reply from the anti-Airbus crowd but Boeing planes have had PLENTY of controversial problems.
Multiple 747's disintigrating in flight
737's blowing up on the ramp
737's fuselage ripping open in flight
747's fuselage ripping open in flight
767's thrust reverser's deploying in flight ripping off the wing
737's uncommanded rudder movements
These are just the flaws and problems I could come up with off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty more. We tend to be very forgiving of Boeing's problems and extreemly hostile to an Airbus problem because its a "foreign" aircraft. We'd better get used to these "foreigners" though. Boeing is getting the tar kicked out of them in the marketplace as Airbus has now become the worlds largest civilian aircraft maker. Many analysts question Boeing senior officers regularly weather Boeing will even stay in the civilain business. The 7E7 needs to be a BIG hit for Boeing to stay around!

AAmech said:
I know this post is old as heck but I just couldn't resist. Your statement is the common reply from the anti-Airbus crowd but Boeing planes have had PLENTY of controversial problems.
These are just the flaws and problems I could come up with off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty more. We tend to be very forgiving of Boeing's problems and extreemly hostile to an Airbus problem because its a "foreign" aircraft. We'd better get used to these "foreigners" though. Boeing is getting the tar kicked out of them in the marketplace as Airbus has now become the worlds largest civilian aircraft maker. Many analysts question Boeing senior officers regularly weather Boeing will even stay in the civilain business. The 7E7 needs to be a BIG hit for Boeing to stay around!
The famous picture of the one that made it thru a Texas thunderstorm, that airplane was flown by Boeing/AF test pilots looking for a storm to verify accidents.

According to a letter in Aviation Week the (test)pilot's manual for the B47 had a warning notice regarding excessive and overly enthusiastix use of the rudder over around 240 knts. This letter was written since the AA A300 crash.

A BOAC 707 lost its tail over Mt Fuji.

According to AW&ST Boeing planes seem to have had more in-flight dis-intergrations than Douglas or the other manufacturers. Don't know about Russians.

j7915 said:
AAmech said:
The famous picture of the one that made it thru a Texas thunderstorm, that airplane was flown by Boeing/AF test pilots looking for a storm to verify accidents.

According to a letter in Aviation Week the (test)pilot's manual for the B47 had a warning notice regarding excessive and overly enthusiastix use of the rudder over around 240 knts. This letter was written since the AA A300 crash.

A BOAC 707 lost its tail over Mt Fuji.

According to AW&ST Boeing planes seem to have had more in-flight dis-intergrations than Douglas or the other manufacturers. Don't know about Russians.
That was in reference to the B-52