AirTran Interiors Question

N944AT

Aug 26, 2002
Hi, All
I noticed in an online photo album that AirTran''s DC-9 Business Class seats, and the seats in both classes of AirTran''s 737-200 had the same design. Do you know if this was generic for AirTran, possibly a new interior for ValuJet''s DC-9''s before the merger, or simply ordered by AirTran? I know the 717 seats are made just for AirTran (Ordered by ValuJet at the time). And the DC-9 Coach seats are former ValuJet seats.

----------------
On 8/27/2002 10:14:41 PM

Hi, All
I noticed in an online photo album that AirTran's DC-9 Business Class seats, and the seats in both classes of AirTran's 737-200 had the same design. Do you know if this was generic for AirTran, possibly a new interior for ValuJet's DC-9's before the merger, or simply ordered by AirTran? I know the 717 seats are made just for AirTran (Ordered by ValuJet at the time). And the DC-9 Coach seats are former ValuJet seats.
----------------
i will try to answer your question. After the merger they decided to do a business class. Some of our dc9s have leather seats, some have the cloth seats. All the 717s have cloth seats. The 737s had cloth seats also. Valujet never had a business class. I don't why some have cloth and some have leather. Maybe some one else who knows more about the subject can shed some light. I wish, to be honest they had leather seats through out the fleet.

I have heard two explanations:

1) Some of the aircraft AAI got(DL/EA) had the old leather seats, and were just stashed away when they were operated by Vjet, only to be 'found' later and installed. It was then cheaper to outfit the rest of their planes with cloth biz seats.

2) Someone realized that cloth was cheaper halfway through the installation of the DC9s.