Alaska Airlines new hire = nicotine test?

Hmmm... This has been festering in my mind...

... So a person quits tobacco and then they want a job with AS, but it's been 5 months and they say, "no, try again at another time."

Sounds like a screwy system.

I heard from someone that cabin crew/flight crew members have to be nicotine free, but I didn't know how it was enforced or that this policy extends to the entire AS op. I also thought it only applied to cigarettes. I guess I am not applying for the job; I'd rather have Copenhagen than a job at Alaska :p

Hmmm... This has been festering in my mind...

... So a person quits tobacco and then they want a job with AS, but it's been 5 months and they say, "no, try again at another time."

Sounds like a screwy system.

I heard from someone that cabin crew/flight crew members have to be nicotine free, but I didn't know how it was enforced or that this policy extends to the entire AS op. I also thought it only applied to cigarettes. I guess I am not applying for the job; I'd rather have Copenhagen than a job at Alaska :p

Before you decide to stick with the Copenhagen, may I suggest that you go down to the M.D. Anderson Cancer Hospital and Institute in Houston. When there, ask them if they have any "radical necks" at the moment. These are people who developed cancer of the jaw and lymph nodes in the neck--usually from dipping snuff or chewing tobacco. In order to save the person's life, they have to remove the jaw bone on the affected side, all of the muscles and all of the lymph nodes on that side of the face. The whole face collapses inward from the cheek bone down to the collar bone because there is nothing left to support it. They look like monsters from a B-grade horror movie. They also have a great deal of difficulty eating and drinking because they only have teeth and working lips on one side of the face.

Trust me. A job at AS is better.

There are those who say they have a "right" to smoke. Yes, they do. And, companies have a right not to hire them in order to hold down their insurance costs.

I watched a news program about a company that institued this policy. The interviewer asked the CEO "Isn't it true that banning overweight people would actually save more money than banning tabacoo users?" The CEO replied that is true and we would do it, but it is illegal to discriminate against overweight people.

Not Big Brother, but Big Corporate America is watching You!

I watched a news program about a company that institued this policy. The interviewer asked the CEO "Isn't it true that banning overweight people would actually save more money than banning tabacoo users?" The CEO replied that is true and we would do it, but it is illegal to discriminate against overweight people.

Not Big Brother, but Big Corporate America is watching You!

People who drive red cars are more likely to get into an accident. So, if you have owned a red car in the past six months, you can't work for AS.

People who don't use condoms are more likely to get Herpes, soooo don't hire secretaries who don't carry condoms. This is the AS way.

Thank God I have AS looking out for me, because I'm too dumb to do anything on my own. That's also the West Coast Way.

While I understand the desire to hold down health care costs and also that smokers have higher rates of absenteeism, where does one draw the line in case of a legal product with negative health effects?
Eating too many fatty foods? Red meat? Or maybe not getting enough exercise?

Hypothetical question;

Lets say you work part time as a bar tender or a cocktail waitress at a bar that allows smoking or your spouse smokes and your subject to second hand smoke? Would that be enough to disqualify you from employment at AS?

Hypothetical question;

Lets say you work part time as a bar tender or a cocktail waitress at a bar that allows smoking or your spouse smokes and your subject to second hand smoke? Would that be enough to disqualify you from employment at AS?
Well...they'd most likely cite the "if you pass within 200 yards of a smoker, the second hand smoke will kill you" argument and not hire you. There was an article in Business Week a few months ago about a policy like this at Scotts Turf group. They got several letters that found it ironic that a company that produced a product that fouled the water supply, and had the potential to affect millions, won't hire someone who has a Camel at lunch.

Sorry...if you're going to "cut healthcare costs" by not hiring a smoker, than you need to implement a policy that states you won't hire an employee whose body mass index is out of the "healthy" range. Because obesity IS a bigger health problem than smoking. It's just not politically correct to point that out.

This is nothing more than the Insurance industry controlling you, and it all comes down to the bottom line, its all about money pure and simple. Isn't it funny how Corporate America has now begun using Credit scores in their decisions about you, take a look at your homeowners policy, they use credit scores to raise your rates because they feel you won't pay your preimums on time, funny thing is, the last time I checked my Homeowners insurance was paid by my mortgage company, so why should my rates rise cause I was late on a bill, it's none of their G/D business, but everyone lets them get away with it, so they contiune. I'm off the soapbox now, someone eles's turn.