Amadeus Star Aliance and US

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Ever since US's very messy switch to the somewhat subpar QIK/SHARES system, there has been speculation about an potential switch to Amadeus, the preferred system for Star Alliance carriers. Saw this on ATW website awhile back but didn't get around to posting it.
If CO does switch from (their snazzier) SHARES to Amadeus after joining *A, hopefully US might follow suit.

Two years after the change from Sabre, most users still find QIK/SHARES to be very problematic.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=16496

CO weighs migration to Star CITP
Tuesday May 5, 2009

News from Travel Technology Update: Continental chief Larry Kellner hinted that the carrier may migrate to the Star Alliance Common IT Platform at some point after it joins the alliance in October.

In a conference call to discuss first-quarter earnings, Kellner said, "I and other members of the Continental management team meet regularly with Glenn Tilton [United chairman, president and chief executive officer] and his team at United as we develop plans to co-locate at airports, deliver mutual cost savings, share airport lounges, bring benefits to each other's elite customers and ultimately move to a single IT platform so that we can provide excellent service to each other's customers."......

http://www.amadeus.com/amadeus/amadeus.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amadeus_CRS

that is just what I fear!

Hey, there hasn't been a "QIK/SHARES sucks" thread for a while. Even though it still does.

What's your favorite grip of the day?

Having to split PNRs for revenue standbys?
Unable to generate four segment bag tags (CO SHARES can do it)?
The number of keystrokes needed to change seats for a party of four?
Any of the many, many other sucky things?

If you get on the Hub and watch the latest town hall with Doug Parker, you will find that he finds that there is absolutely no problem with QIK. None whatsoever. As my dad used to say, "It's the best thing since 3-2 beer."

The fact is that you are stuck with it and it will not change because Doug Parker says it's top drawer stuff. Watch the video and see. You will lose all hope.

If you get on the Hub and watch the latest town hall with Doug Parker, you will find that he finds that there is absolutely no problem with QIK. None whatsoever. As my dad used to say, "It's the best thing since 3-2 beer."

The fact is that you are stuck with it and it will not change because Doug Parker says it's top drawer stuff. Watch the video and see. You will lose all hope.

Evertime I see Doug Parker I lose all hope....just reminds me that he is still here and in CHARGE. CLUELESS and in denial. :down:

Non-Revved last week with the family on vacation and needed to reroute my SA1 plan.
Gate agents in CLT couldn't do it.....stumped. Spent about ten minutes messing with it - both of them.
Finally sent me to special services desk where the 'expert' finally figured out how to do it....

My favorite story about reservation/ticketing software came from reading a story about Jet Blue's CEO, Mr. Needleman. One of his degrees is in computer programming...so, when he was shopping for a rez system for JB, he sent his guys out to various ticket counters to measure the average time that people were waiting for ticket/gate agents to peck in all those arcane commands.
What did he find? Over 3 minutes per transaction. Why? Old MS-DOS style command line interfaces requiring complex lines of gobbledigook (a technical term) to produce the desired result. Many times agents had to reference a technical manual to input the correct codes.
Mr. Needleman looked at his new employee: high-school and/or college trained in using Word, Excel, Explorer, and the rest of the microsoft/windows interface stuff. Point and Click. Tabs, windows, input boxes, and buttons. No knowledge of DOS there at all.
So, he and his team wrote their own res program, windows based so his employess could be trained in a matter of an hour or two. Online help if they get stuck. Point and Click all the way.
Not only did this innovation save a lot of $ in the long run, but it drove the average customer servicing time at the ticket counter/gate to thirty seconds. JB employees=happy and productive. JB customers=happy and on their way sooner than everyone else.
QIK has done the exact opposite here since its implementation. The fact that management does not know is both frightening and appalling.

Non-Revved last week with the family on vacation and needed to reroute my SA1 plan.
Gate agents in CLT couldn't do it.....stumped. Spent about ten minutes messing with it - both of them.
Finally sent me to special services desk where the 'expert' finally figured out how to do it....

My favorite story about reservation/ticketing software came from reading a story about Jet Blue's CEO, Mr. Needleman. One of his degrees is in computer programming...so, when he was shopping for a rez system for JB, he sent his guys out to various ticket counters to measure the average time that people were waiting for ticket/gate agents to peck in all those arcane commands.
What did he find? Over 3 minutes per transaction. Why? Old MS-DOS style command line interfaces requiring complex lines of gobbledigook (a technical term) to produce the desired result. Many times agents had to reference a technical manual to input the correct codes.
Mr. Needleman looked at his new employee: high-school and/or college trained in using Word, Excel, Explorer, and the rest of the microsoft/windows interface stuff. Point and Click. Tabs, windows, input boxes, and buttons. No knowledge of DOS there at all.
So, he and his team wrote their own res program, windows based so his employess could be trained in a matter of an hour or two. Online help if they get stuck. Point and Click all the way.
Not only did this innovation save a lot of $ in the long run, but it drove the average customer servicing time at the ticket counter/gate to thirty seconds. JB employees=happy and productive. JB customers=happy and on their way sooner than everyone else.
QIK has done the exact opposite here since its implementation. The fact that management does not know is both frightening and appalling.

Neeleman is gone from JetBlue.

JetBlue is switching to Sabre Interact next year.

Back