Welcome Star

LavMan

Veteran
Feb 12, 2003
Star Alliance Welcomes Newest Member - US Airways
Saturday May 31, 12:00 pm ET

WASHINGTON, May 31 /PRNewswire/ -- The Chief Executive Board of Star Alliance today unanimously approved the application of US Airways to join the world''s largest airline alliance. The addition of US Airways significantly expands Star Alliance''s network in the business hubs of the eastern United States and in the Caribbean.
US Airways offers Star Alliance business and leisure passengers significant advantages, said Jaan Albrecht, chief executive officer, Star Alliance. For business travelers, the addition of US Airways means unparalleled access to the most extensive airline network in the eastern United States; for leisure travelers, the expanded network also means more destinations in the Caribbean and Florida from which to choose.
The addition of US Airways will increase the number of airports served by the Star Alliance network from 700 to 771, while the number of countries served will grow to 133 from 128.
Expanding the reach of our network through Star Alliance will create enormous benefits both for our customers and our business, said David N. Siegel, US Airways president and chief executive officer. To Star Alliance''s members and customers, US Airways brings value with our strong presence in the eastern United States, where 70 percent of all travel to Europe originates, as well as our growing presence in the Caribbean. Star Alliance customers entering the U.S. through our premier international gateway in Philadelphia will experience the nation''s most modern international terminal, which just opened this month.
While no firm date has been set for US Airways'' official entry into Star Alliance, it is anticipated that the carrier will become part of the world''s leading airline alliance within the next nine to 12 months.
US Airways, based in Arlington, Virginia, is the largest carrier in the eastern United States and the seventh largest in the country. Its operations are concentrated in its hubs in Charlotte, North Carolina, and Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
The airline has more than 3,300 daily departures to cities in the United States, Canada and Europe, and flies to more destinations in the Caribbean than any other U.S. airline.
US Airways has been working with Star Alliance member airlines since it signed a code-sharing agreement with United Airlines in 2002 and recently signed a similar memorandum of understanding on code-sharing with Lufthansa German Airlines.
Glenn Tilton, chairman, president and chief executive officer of United Airlines, which sponsored US Airways'' application, warmly welcomed US Airways into Star Alliance. The United States is the largest single air travel market in the world, and the addition of US Airways provides a complementary service to our passengers, Tilton said. Clearly anything that we can do to serve the growing needs of Star Alliance passengers in this country and around the world will benefit each of our member airlines.
US Airways serves 195 airports in 25 countries with a fleet of 279 aircraft. The airline employs more than 28,000 people and carried 54 million passengers in 2002.
Star Alliance was established in May 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance. Member airlines are Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines, bmi, Lauda Air, Lufthansa German Airlines, Mexicana Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Spanair, Thai Airways International, Tyrolean Airways, United Airlines and VARIG Brazilian Airlines. LOT Polish Airlines will become a member in October 2003.
Code:
     Star Alliance contacts:
                                  Stephan A. Roth
                                  +1.310.908.5075
                                  Jerry Hendin
                                  +1.425.442.5565
     US Airways Corporate Affairs:
     +1.703.872.5100

Source: Star Alliance

It''s not the Star Alliance, its the "DEATH STAR ALLIANCE".....just watch as your international flying is out sourced to less expensive star alliance labor. US gets the benefits, labor gets the shaft.

We at UAL lost a ton of flying to LH and other Death Star partners. This is not good news.

Denver, CO

ua767fo,

I too have tried to make this same point on the U boards a couple of times (I am a UAL F/A), but no one here seems to believe me!

Time will tell.

To my colleagues at U, Enjoy the European flying while you can.

----------------
On 5/31/2003 7:12:35 PM PineyBob wrote:

Oh please,
Europe is one of the few places US actually makes money! There and the Islands! Oh wait I forgot, UA was all the answers including how to lose the most money of any domestic airline.

----------------​

One US is a full * member, I predict that their European flying will be reduced / reconfigured to somewhat resemble NW: US will keep LGW and CDG (and maybe something seasonal - like Ireland) but then drop everything else and focus on feeding LH''s FRA (and MUC) hub. But I guess it only makes sense.

----------------
On 5/31/2003 7:39:40 PM Retired1 wrote:

I cant imagine anyone thinking Dave is going to give anything away. He might just have some of their flying before it is over.

----------------​

Dave won''t be able to push LH around like he can his US employees. Whether you like it or not in the * alliance LH is in charge, afterall, UA and LH are the KEY airlines in *.
US will have a sort of secondary role in the * alliance in North America - behing UA and maybe even AC (if they don''t liquidate), just like OS, SK, bmi, and LOT play second/third/fourth fiddle to LH in Europe.
While it is great news that US is finally (5 years too late) in a major international alliance, do not have grand illusions that US will have a leading role (in NE USA yes definitely, overall * alliance no way).

----------------
On 5/31/2003 7:12:35 PM PineyBob wrote:

Oh please,
Europe is one of the few places US actually makes money! There and the Islands! Oh wait I forgot, UA has all the answers including how to lose the most money of any domestic airline.

----------------​

Piney Bob, like I said, time will tell. Though of course what do those of us who have experienced actually being an employee in the Star Alliance from its inception know compared to an industry expert like yourself.

And BTW your continued blind hatred at all costs for all things UA and snide comments towards all UA employees really doesn''t help your credibility. It''s time to get over it and move on. And if you want to continue to refuse to fly UA no matter how inconvenient it will be to avoid us, well, I think I speak for many when I say that works for us too.

----------------
On 5/31/2003 11:23:16 PM PineyBob wrote:

I am from the PHL area and I love the sport of boxing. I also love a lively debate. Like the great PHL fighter Joe Frazier I debate like he fought, Gloves up fists blazing from every angle, never stepping backwards.

----------------​

More like tyson, with an ear in your mouth.

----------------
On 5/31/2003 11:23:16 PM PineyBob wrote:

You have to ask yourself why did I have more difficulties on 19 segments than I have had in nearly 350 segments on US. Why is that? was I predisposed to "hate" United?

---------------​

Perhaps. Maybe your oozing distaste for UA and the chip on your shoulder were showing. (And I don''t mean Chip Munn!)

----------------
As for snideness and arrogance. I would submit to you that your post clearly demonstrates the very reason why I am getting up early on a Sunday to stay on US metal. If a fact like losing more money than any other domestic airline offends you, To bad. If the fact that in the past UA was the only airline not to provide other airline employees with passes further proves my point regarding the unbridled customer be damned attitude you so clearly understand and espouse above. How does it feel to be the only major airline to have it ATSB loan application DENIED! why? Because even the stupid US government could see the plan was wishful thinking to be polite.

--------------​

Getting up early to fly U? Don''t you fly out of ACY? How many choices do you have if you want to fly out of ACY? In the past day or so I have seen posts from you indicating you avoid UA, DL, AA, and NW at all costs. Quite a list. Good thing you are in ACY or you wouldn''t have many choices at all, huh?

But to stay on topic, UA''s losing massive amounts of money doesn''t "offend" me a bit. I should point out that just a couple of years ago UA was making MORE money than any other airline. In a couple more years, UA could be making record profits again. Or we could be just a distant memory from the past like Braniff or Eastern. Frankly it doesn''t much matter to me at this point as I am leaving in a few months anyway. I''ve had my fun and seen the world, and I am now at a point in my life where I no longer am willing to subsidize Americans'' penchant for cheap fares by accepting less in the way of compensation and worse in the way of quality of work life. So what will be at UA (and in the industry), will be.

And actually if UA DOES shut the doors, one funny side effect will be to watch fares rise and service decline even more-- we will see travellers expecting First Class service on their $99 round-the-world ticket freak out about that, as they will be forced to actually pay the cost of the service they are consuming.

Besides, I think if you looked at some of U''s losses over the past couple of years, they rivaled if not surpassed any other airline in terms of losing money on a per-seat-mile basis. And U''s future is far from certain at this point either.

As to the ATSB loan guarantee and this strange thing about passes you seem to have dug up from the past (which may or may not be true-- I''ve never heard about it-- but who knows? Who cares? Why is it relevant now? Anyway...), I have nothing to do with either of these things. I was not responsible for creating the business plan or financial numbers to complete the ATSB loan guarantee application, nor did I have anything to do with writing the policies for OAL employee travel in the 1950s (or whenever you allege it was). So sorry, I don''t accept blame for them.

---------------
As for being an "expert"! If I were an expert in anything it would be customer service. I have won awards for outstanding customer service not to mention earned performance bonuses for same throughout my career. So in that respect I am well qualified to offer an opinion on UA''s performance or lack therof as it applies to me.

---------------​

That''s nice, except we were talking about the potential impact of Star Alliance on U''s international routes-- a topic on which I don''t think you are an expert.

----------------
I am from the PHL area and I love the sport of boxing. I also love a lively debate. Like the great PHL fighter Joe Frazier I debate like he fought, Gloves up fists blazing from every angle, never stepping backwards.

If you folks want to come over here to my gym from UA you better have your headgear on tight and your mouthpiece in, gloves laced good and tight and remember to as the Ref says "Protect yourself at all times"
----------------​

I hope all of this aggression does not come across when you interact with airline employees. No wonder you have so much trouble travelling on most of the airlines! We don''t exist for you to take out your aggression. See my first point...

I guess nobody around here is allowed to congratulate Dave for getting US Airways into not just any global alliance but the biggest and best alliance. Wolf tried for years and never could. I say give credit where it''s due. Star will bring significant revenue to US Airways. Nice job Dave, and as a US 1 I personally applaud this move.

----------------
On 5/31/2003 8:33:51 PM PineyBob wrote:

No Illusions here! US will clearly be the leader of the second tier of partners. I agree that in the current situation US and LH are the lead dogs. But change comes swiftly now and who can predict. On balance this is a great move for US, let''s see if they can maintain the momentum and turn the place around. Nothing like a profitable year to adjust everyones attitude!

----------------​
How is it that US will be the leader of the 2nd tier partners? US needs *A a lot more than *A needs them, IMHO. Sure US brings some very attractive characteristics to the table, but they are not a *A leader and won''t be for a long time. SK owns part of BD, as does LH. SK owns a piece of JK as well. OS has Tyrolean and Lauda. LH and OS share the same FF program. So US is going to be the 2nd tier leader while the other 2nd tier airlines are in bed ith alliance leader LH? Sorry, I don''t think so.

US will be told what to do. It will start where your transatlantic pricing will all be based off of pricing decisions made by LH and UA. This is how it goes for SK and OS now. Then PHL will see more European service, just not flown by US. OS to VIE, SK to CPH will be new. Maybe even UA to LHR (would UA be allowed to fly this route?)

US is in *A because of their presence in 4 cities: BOS, NYC, PHL and DCA. They bring frequent flyers in the major east coast business centers to *A. Connections out of PHL nd CLT are the other reason, as connecting to secondary east coast/south east cities isn''t exactly easy on UA. The Carribean and PIT are bonuses.

I think you''ll eventually see US'' transatlantic flying look something like this:
PIT-LGW by US
PIT-FRA by LH
CLT-LGW/PAR by US
CLT-FRA by both US & LH
PHL-FRA both US/LH
PHL-MUC both US/LH
PHL-LHR UA (if allowed), or maybe by BD, they have been pushing for LHR transatlantic flights.
PHL-CPH by SK
PHL-VIE by OS
PHL-AMS/LGW/PAR/ROM/MAN/MAD/DUB by US
(be wary of MAN though, BD could take this over)

All just IMHO of course...

----------------
On 5/31/2003 6:26:50 PM whlinder wrote:

I want to see a US A330 in Star Colors.

Hopefully this will be the start of some Star Airlines serving PHL such as SK and OS.

Any chance of flying to JFK to feed Star flights?

----------------​
Or, more appropriately, a CRJ-705

----------------
On 6/1/2003 8:11:52 AM whlinder wrote:
How is it that US will be the leader of the 2nd tier partners? US needs *A a lot more than *A needs them, IMHO. Sure US brings some very attractive characteristics to the table, but they are not a *A leader and won''t be for a long time. SK owns part of BD, as does LH. SK owns a piece of JK as well. OS has Tyrolean and Lauda. LH and OS share the same FF program. So US is going to be the 2nd tier leader while the other 2nd tier airlines are in bed ith alliance leader LH? Sorry, I don''t think so.
----------------​

Don''t discount the UCT/ICT - (i.e. the day when US will own UA) - then you''ll see who will be calling the shots in *

----------------
I think you''ll eventually see US'' transatlantic flying look something like this:

PIT-LGW by US

PIT-FRA by LH

CLT-LGW/PAR by US

CLT-FRA by both US & LH

PHL-FRA both US/LH

PHL-MUC both US/LH

PHL-LHR UA (if allowed), or maybe by BD, they have been pushing for LHR transatlantic flights.

PHL-CPH by SK

PHL-VIE by OS

PHL-AMS/LGW/PAR/ROM/MAN/MAD/DUB by US

(be wary of MAN though, BD could take this over)
----------------​

Here''s my version of how US''s European service will fit into *

PIT-FRA: US or LH (1 daily, maybe 2 during summer?)
CLT-FRA: US and LH (1 daily each for 2 total, up to 3 total daily in summer)
PHL-FRA: US and LH (1 dialy each for 2 total, up to 3 daily in summer)
PHL-MUC: LH or US (1 daily)

Other US European routes
LGW more or less as is
CDG more or less as is
drop Rome and Madrid and instead offer LH codeshare via FRA and/or MUC
AMS could be served directly from PHL by US or by * codeshare (1-stop via FRA?)
DUB seasonal

PHL-MAN makes sense

PHL-LHR - not sure if UA would want to serve it even if it could. Its routes from LHR to ORD/JFK/LAX/SFO/IAD etc. probably generate more $$$ than PHL-LHR would.

PHL-VIE: OS already serves IAD and JFK. Maybe seasonal service to VIE operated either by US or OS or Lauda Air

PHL-CPH: I doubt it.

Where/how does US fit in with the other * alliance airlines, specifically the North American ones. I know the UAL codeshare is already in place, but what about AC and Mexicana? AC does offer code-share possibilities to the Pacific via Vancouver as well as a good portion of the Canadian market out of YYZ and YUL.
Any chance for a PHL-NRT on ANA?
Any chance for a PHL-Brazil on Varig?
Any chance for Singapore or Thai offering service to any of US''s hub?