Amazon to Lease 20 Boeing 767s

xUT

Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
SanFranFreako, KommieFornia
Amazon to Lease 20 Boeing 767s

Amazon.com Inc. is stepping up plans to build its own air delivery network, saying it will lease 20 Boeing Co. 767 freighters from Air Transport Services Group Inc., sending shares in the lessor up the most in six years.
The agreement shows Amazon’s commitment to expanding its own logistics network to make deliveries faster and more efficient. The Seattle-based company wants to lessen its dependence on United Parcel Service Inc. and FedEx Corp., which have sometimes run into delays during the busy holiday season.

Someone has too much money... :p

Reactions: 1 person
I'm a fan of Amazon, but building their own freight airline? Someone has way too much money.

UPS and FedEx, for all their faults, have much more experience in delivering packages by air and ground than Amazon can ever hope to achieve. Specializing in what you do best and knowing your limitations are important concepts. For example, AA, UA and DL are big airlines that are generally good at what they do. But years of experience in flying airplanes doesn't give AA, UA or DL any specialized abilities in designing and building airplanes - that's best left to Boeing, Airbus and Embraer, experts in airplanes.

Yes, I left out Bombardier - their planes suck (from a passenger perspective).

Reactions: 1 person
I'll disagree. Airlines don't produce fuel either, but it seems to have worked out somewhat for DL. And let's not forget that United and Boeing have shared origins.

Amazon's looking at a whole lot more than just selling cheap consumer goods.

This has been in the works for a while, and I mentioned it back in November on the DL forum and also in Aviation Chatter:

http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/59348-delta-is-ambitiously-promising-it-will-respond-to-all-tweets-from-customers-within-an-hour/?view=findpost&p=1206127

http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/59364-amazon-airlines/

Right now, Amazon is held to UPS and FedEx's operating schedules, and this could free them up, 2 day delivery regardless of weekends.

The next step will be expanding the delivery network they have on the ground. They're also supposedly leasing out some sea shipping capability between China and their own warehouses.

I read here that the lease deal extends for a period of five to seven years, and the contract to operate the aircraft is for five years, reports The Wall Street Journal.ATSG president and CEO Joe Hete said: We have been working closely with Amazon to demonstrate that a dedicated, fully customised air cargo network can be a strong supplement to existing transportation and distribution resources. Also the company stated that it has been using five planes for a trial with Amazon and is planning to buy eight additional Boeing 767-300 passenger jets to convert to freighter planes, as well as source seven from its current client base.