America West To Test Charging For Food On Airplanes

[blockquote]
----------------
The movie theatre works a bit like a airline. reduced rates on weekday afternoons, full charge evenings and weekends, when most people go. They wont let you bring your own food. You must buy there insanely over priced food and drink.

mike
----------------
[/blockquote]

Yes, but at least they're not building it into the cost of the ticket--you only pay for it if you want it. As for them not letting you bring your own food, I don't think that really enters into the equation--I think it's safe to say that those "rules" are routinely broken, to the extent that the percentage of moviegoers who bring their own candy is probably at least as high as the percentage of airline passengers who bring their own food. In any event, food sold at airports is just as overpriced as it is at movie theaters.

My point is, I applaud HP for letting the market decide what it wants: if you want a cheap ticket, you can buy one; if you want a snack, you can pay a little more; if you want a meal, you can pay a little more than that. This is how things work not only at the movies, but everywhere else in our society. Obviously airline operations present unique problems, however, and it's certainly possible that this may not work logistically. But at least someone's trying something new!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/3/2003 8:07:58 PM jetsandprops wrote:

I understand this is a nice way to reduce costs and enhance service. I bet a large airline like united spends hundreds of millions on food each year...this could be the end of food. lets face it everyone wants southwest fares but service of majors - - not going to get free food in future....
----------------
[/blockquote]

One point nobody has yet mentioned is that this "pay for what you eat" test is really a "back to the future" concept. Consider this quote from a 1952 AA timetable: "MEALS--Served on standard flights as indicated. Reasonably priced box lunches are available on DC-6 Airtourist service flights, if desired, at ground stations enroute."
One of the major distinctions between the early coach, or "Airtourist", services and regular "First Class" aircraft was that free meals were NOT included on the lower-priced flights.

I understand this is a nice way to reduce costs and enhance service. I bet a large airline like united spends hundreds of millions on food each year...this could be the end of food. lets face it everyone wants southwest fares but service of majors - - not going to get free food in future....

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/3/2003 2:17:55 PM AAG2000 wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
The movie theatre works a bit like a airline. reduced rates on weekday afternoons, full charge evenings and weekends, when most people go. They wont let you bring your own food. You must buy there insanely over priced food and drink.

mike
----------------
[/blockquote]

Yes, but at least they're not building it into the cost of the ticket--you only pay for it if you want it. As for them not letting you bring your own food, I don't think that really enters into the equation--I think it's safe to say that those "rules" are routinely broken, to the extent that the percentage of moviegoers who bring their own candy is probably at least as high as the percentage of airline passengers who bring their own food. In any event, food sold at airports is just as overpriced as it is at movie theaters.

My point is, I applaud HP for letting the market decide what it wants: if you want a cheap ticket, you can buy one; if you want a snack, you can pay a little more; if you want a meal, you can pay a little more than that. This is how things work not only at the movies, but everywhere else in our society. Obviously airline operations present unique problems, however, and it's certainly possible that this may not work logistically. But at least someone's trying something new!
----------------
[/blockquote]

It's still made them a laughingstock in the eyes of the flying public. The common opinion of passengers is that if they won't give a stale sandwich at current fares, then maintenance must be at an all time low.

The most common opinion is that if airlines are cutting costs so drastically where it shows, they must be slashing the throat of any cost the passenger can't see. Their usual fear is that maintenance is the victim.

Don't know if it's true, just the way the public feels.

And why they want to stay away from any bankrupt airline.

HP's plan sounds like a good idea -- and a good value -- from what I read in the article linked by the moderator.

What the article didn't answer is the question that immediately came to mind when I saw the headline...

Will the food be fresh or will it be of the frozen heat-and-eat variety that can be preserved for sale on later flights? When I read some of the sample menu items it looks like many of the choices have relatively short shelf life, which means the potential for wastage on a large scale.

Has anyone heard how HP might manage the program to prevent the possibility of self-defeat by the cost of unused food that will need to be tossed? Will the typical complement of flight attendants realistically have time to take orders, collect the $, prepare the orders and distribute the right items to the right pax? What are their thoughts on the added workload? Will one be able to be reasonably certain that the menu selection of his/her choice will actually be available?

These are posed as "devil's advocate" questions to anyone who cares to reply.

I realize that HP's plan is to test the idea of meals for purchase on flights, so these questions will ultimately be answered by actual experience. Hope it works as well as HP intends.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/4/2003 4:23:01 PM Trip Confirmed wrote:

It's still made them a laughingstock in the eyes of the flying public. The common opinion of passengers is that if they won't give a stale sandwich at current fares, then maintenance must be at an all time low.

Don't know if it's true, just the way the public feels.

[/blockquote]

True, but this is mainly due to the news media's (per usual) misreporting of the story, and also due to HP's PR department neglecting to emphasize one important aspect: The flights on which this 'pay-to-eat' concept will be tested currently have NO coach meal service--only beverages and peanuts!
Coverage on my local TV news certainly led one to believe that free meals are being discontinued on these flights, which is NOT the case!

Here is my $ .02 worth.

In todays market the passenger is paying for a ride from point A to B if he or she is in coach. No free meal should be expected. None is expected on a subway or a taxi. At todays prices Coach= a taxi ride.

If said passenger wants the "Stretched Black Limo ride" with the wet bar and food, that is what First Class fares are for.

And to the above poster questioning the maint. of any airline that would do this. Did it ever occur to you that the money not spent on "free" food is money avalible for additional maintenance and service on the aircraft?

All airlines are in full survival mode, as is the consumer. So you as a consumer need to make a personal choice........Taxi Cab ride, or the big black shiny Limo.