American Airlines co-pilot arrested at Detroit Metro Airport after failing sobriety tests

As it was an early morning flight from Detroit to Philadelphia, it was either from the US Airways side of the house, or it was an American Eagle flight.  They have several flights/day from DTW to PHL.

Looking at Flight aware, it appears AA736, an EMB-190 was cancelled this morning DTW-PHL.  Also according to Flight aware, the aircraft arrived DTW on Friday night at 10:29pm

jimntx said:
As it was an early morning flight from Detroit to Philadelphia, it was either from the US Airways side of the house, or it was an American Eagle flight.  They have several flights/day from DTW to PHL.
Shows how much I know.  I assumed because it was an Embraer it had to be American Eagle.  Fortunately, they don't pay me to run things.

Reactions: 5 people
Worldport said:
Im probably .04 every night after work I sure don't look or act like that. .04 is what 2 beers?.
I'm probably at .04 right now, but I'm not a pilot and I'm not driving anywhere.

This pilot tested at .081, more than double the legal limit for flying. He looks three sheets to the wind.

He claims to have had "a drink" the night before. That must have been a really big happy hour drink.

FWAAA said:
I'm probably at .04 right now, but I'm not a pilot and I'm not driving anywhere.

This pilot tested at .081, more than double the legal limit for flying. He looks three sheets to the wind.

He claims to have had "a drink" the night before. That must have been a really big happy hour drink.
.081 got it , that's a problem of mine I wait to speak when I should be listening

.08 is legally intoxicated in most states now.  That level has been shown to result in impairment of the senses and decision-making ability sufficient to justify a charge of DUI if caught driving while that level of alcohol is in the body.  For a pilot to be in the cockpit at that level is just downright scary.  Let's  hope he gets the help he needs.

Reactions: 1 person
Allegedly drunk pilot is in alcohol treatment:

ROMULUS, Mich. - The case against an American Airlines co-pilot accused of drunkenness at Detroit Metropolitan Airport has been delayed because the man is at a treatment center.

John Maguire is charged with operating under the influence of alcohol on March 26.

The Wayne County prosecutor's office says a hearing scheduled for Wednesday has been adjourned until June 22 at the request of his lawyer.

Defense attorney Frank Manley told the court during a hearing that his client is at a treatment center in California and they want to make sure any issues are handled properly.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/pilot-accused-of-being-drunk-wont-attend-michigan-hearing_

I assume that he's either an ex-AA pilot or soon will be, given that he did not seek treatment prior to his arrest.

Not necessarily true. The MAN-ORD pilot from a few years ago went through treatment and then came back to work. Why should this be any different?