American Matches Much Of Dl's New Fare Structure

777 fixer said:
[post="239162"][/post]​

777 I think you misunderstand me.

WN typically has more leg room than AA LRTC, check out the websites for backup.

WN typically has more direct flights. For example you may be able to go Kansas City LA without a hub stop, or OKC-Saint Louis. One big advantage over the hub and spoke system

WN carries more domestic passenger in than AA - DOT

goingboeing said:
AA would not need 500 airplanes if each a/c flew 1 more leg per day by reducing gate turn times. AE RJ's can cover probably 75% of the routes that MD80's currently fly. AE operates a flight from XNA-LAX for example.
B757's can cover some of the routes that 767's presently fly.We are already operating B-757's LAX-HNL.I'm sure we could buy some more B-757's on the market from some of the airlines in chapter 11 trouble.
B757 could also be used to cover MD80 routes such as DFW-SAN
There are all kinds of options available of which many I'm not even aware of.

Then how many 737's would AA need? For the sake of argument lets say 400. That's still 400 aircraft that AA does not have the money for. And like I said before you still would need the 767 for routes that the 757 is either to small for or does not have the range and the 777 is to big for. As for buying more 757's that presents it's own problems. Since there are three US carriers in chpater 11 with 757's lets examine each. UAL, different engines which means added costs for maintaining. Before you mention ex-TWA 757's AA is in the process of returning them as the leases come due. As for US Air and ATA they have differnet exit config that along with other differences makes fora big headache

How would you replace the 100 MD80'S that are going to be HIGH-TIME HIGH CYCLES A/C in the next 5 years?[N-200 series tail numbers]

Considering NWA is still flying the DC-9 (the newest DC-9 is a year older than the oldest AA MD-80) I think you can get a bit more life out of them
[post="238980"][/post]​

777 fixer said:
[post="239178"][/post]​

I do not disagree with your premise that AA COULD fly Md80's a LOT longer.Operators are still flying Boeing 727's[Champion Air] and they will last a lot more years but will also require EXTENSIVE maintenance.
All airlines including AA have always been sensitive about overall fleet average age.
Air Tran is touting that they have one of the lowest fleet ages in the airlines.I have worked MD80 Heavy C CHECKS and the MD80 requires an extensive amount of corrosion rework in the main cabin[namely cusp repairs and seat track repairs]
I have worked B-727 B-737 B-757 MD80 F-100 and the MD80 comes into Heavy C checks with more lightning strikes than any other aircraft I've seen.I do not know why.

Right now AA is planning on flying the S80 40 plus years, per fleet planning. The fleet is the fleet and it will be that way for awhile. Though high fuel prices could change this plan.

mweiss said:
Except that the only LRTC aircraft are the 757 and A300, both of which are 31" of pitch. What's your evidence that the others are going to be different?

As of this moment they are different.
Except that I didn't say that.

Yes you did.
Oh, really? How can a number without a comparison sound like a rise or fall at all?

737 orders 737 deliveres
2000-383 281
2001-188 299
2002-167 223
2003-207 173
2004-152 202

Now where is this fall off in demand?
[post="239163"][/post]​

Oneflyer said:
Right now AA is planning on flying the S80 40 plus years, per fleet planning. The fleet is the fleet and it will be that way for awhile. Though high fuel prices could change this plan.
[post="239337"][/post]​

I could see AA operating MD80's for a total of 40 years[although unlikely] but not operating any particular aircraft[tail number] for 40 years.
AA has never operated any type of aircraft for 40 years.
The B727's-223's only went about 32 years with AA and that was the low N800 series tail numbers.Some of our N700 series tail numbers were only operated for about 22 years.

It will vary for each fleet type but there is a point of diminishing value in keeping a fleet type and doing Heavy C checks.

I am glad that AA made this change that was long overdue. The money making business pax were seeing this 'rip off' through the use of the internet and as a result turned to the 'low fare airlines'. The days of having 'sugar dady' subsidising the lesiure pax are over and is rapidly evapourating in routes were there is no direct lcc competition. What AA and DL is trying to spead out the prices in such a way where there be less 'bargain prices' but more middle fares which could result in more revenue since this would mean that business passengers will be able to travel more and wouldn't have to go driving to the nearest alternative airport to find something more reasonable.