Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
Associated Press
American Union Nixes Permanent Givebacks
Wednesday February 12, 10:59 pm ET
By Charles Richards, Associated Press Writer
American Flight Attendants Say Contract Concessions Can''t Be Permanent
DALLAS (AP) -- The union representing 23,000 American Airlines flight attendants declared its willingness to work with the company on financial concerns, but rejected a proposal to give the airline permanent contract concessions.
After wrapping up a two-day meeting in Washington, D.C., the governing body of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants passed a resolution Wednesday night addressing the company''s requests in recent weeks for contract concessions.
Separately, a comment by an American executive stirred speculation that the company might spin off a new low-cost carrier to compete with rivals such as Southwest Airlines.
Jeffrey Campbell, American''s chief financial officer, said large carriers have a poor record of trying to operate smaller carriers as subsidiaries
But, he added, We would be foolish at American and (parent company) AMR to not be giving it very serious thought because Delta has announced plans to launch a low-fare airline called Song along the East Coast, and United has said it is considering the idea.
A spokesman for Fort Worth, Texas-based American said Campbell''s comment only reiterated American''s stance of considering all options to improve its business.
Of the AFPA resolution, union spokesman George Price said the APFA is more than willing to do our part to address the company''s financial concerns at an appropriate time. But if our board chooses to accept such concessions, it would be on a temporary and not permanent concession.
American, the nation''s largest airline, released a statement saying it is pleased flight attendants are committed to act to ensure that the company is a viable and successful entity.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/030212/american_fl...tendants_1.html

APFA set the bar. We will offer the money and changes management is asking for. In return there will be a limit to the time it is offered, or a trigger in financial performance, to return any and all givebacks.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/12/2003 11:58:00 PM AAquila wrote:

Any word on the TWU/AA talks at this time?

Anybody?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Dear Brothers,

Yesterday, I notified Jim Weel to tentatively schedule the week of Feb-24 Thru Mar 7. with my TWU staff assigned and I regarding the basis for the company's request for $620 Million dollars in economic relief. Specifically, our interest is to give the company the opportunity to give us the details of there restructuring plan. Information gathered from these meeting will be provide to the Presidents to be made available to our members.

I again stress that any proposal made by the company to modify any of our collective bargaining agreements are subject to membership ratification in accordance with the same procedures used for ratification of the original agreements.

During the two week period John Orlando, Joe Gordon and Garry Drummond will be available in our ATD office should you need assistance.

Fraternally,

Jim Little

Director Air Transport Division
International Administrative Vice President.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/13/2003 8:39:39 AM FA Mikey wrote:

APFA set the bar. We will offer the money and changes management is asking for. In return there will be a limit to the time it is offered, or a trigger in financial performance, to return any and all givebacks.
----------------
[/blockquote]
So are you saying that the APFA will agree to wage concessions for a certain period of time and if the company has not recovered than to so beit it. Watch it sink.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/13/2003 11:00:53 AM A77IGW wrote:
So are you saying that the APFA will agree to wage concessions for a certain period of time and if the company has not recovered than to so beit it. Watch it sink.
----------------
[/blockquote]

No A77IGW,
I think they are saying that if AMR makes a 2 billion dollar profit in 2 years, they might want a piece of it. If the company is still in trouble then, then no snapbacks.
If they make a deal for concessions now to keep jobs, why won't they do it again?

Would you like to comment on sick leave usage?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/13/2003 11:41:39 AM Mach85ER wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/13/2003 11:00:53 AM A77IGW wrote:
----------------
[/blockquote]

No A77IGW,
I think they are saying that if AMR makes a 2 billion dollar profit in 2 years, they might want a piece of it. If the company is still in trouble then, then no snapbacks.
If they make a deal for concessions now to keep jobs, why won't they do it again?

Would you like to comment on sick leave usage?

----------------
[/blockquote]
I could go all day and all month about sick abuse but my question was sincere. I would like to know what the company is asking our unions. I completley agree no permanent concessions should be given to the company. We help them they should in turn give back to us when we get back to profitability.