Amfa Has Contract

Tim Nelson said:
Today, I received communication from United Mechanics wanting to decert AMFA but not to go back to the MIA. The AGW has not considered a raid on AMFA before and it is premature at this point to speculate on one, options are open.

But FWIW,
This contract/enema is not equitable and should be flushed down the john. Dell's statement of 'gun to the head' is IAMism. In fact I think he may have got it from the IAM loyalist when they told the US AIRWAYS members that the company had a 'gun to the head and a knife in the back' and another good one was 'we got the best of the worst'. Further, Dell's manufactured framework of your choice is pathetic. He says, "Our choice is to either consent to concessions from the company or risk even worse..." does harm to justice since since it doesn't recognize the outcome seemingly outside his framework that REAL negotiations may allow for the opportunity to get snapbacks, etc in the latter part of the contract as opposed to a 'permanent' condition that will shake the profession for years to come.

The simple fact is that the mechanics have a gun too and the only REAL negotiations will be when ANY union has enough balls to stand up to corporate greed and place that gun at a Corporation head also. Does this make sense to any of you? I mean, what happens in real life if someone puts a gun to your head yet you have a gun also? YOU PUT IT TO THE OTHER DUDE'S HEAD, RIGHT? Only then do real talks begin. Yes, United can go chapter 7 but the alternative is such a piss clam contract that it is an abomination to your profession. The biggest inequitable part is that most of these things are permanent with no snapback. Real negotiations only possible with a gun to the corporations head will negotiate snapbacks and the only chance to protect the profession down the road.

Be careful with the $40 million in possible returns since it could be the part where you have analyst sell you a pipedream with a laptop that graphs all the mechanics as getting a good investment on their givebacks. It may be a lot closer to a 'drunken promise in the dark. The UAL mechanic has seen that sort of thing before. Working men and women almost always get screwed with these financially brokered deals that usually blanket nothingness. I'm sure the mechanics can decide if UA can be trusted on another financial deal. BTW, the 4% 401K is like the IAM's new 4% deal at US AIRWAYS for fleet service and mechanics should not only demand but stick to getting a more equitable 401k. And is there any language that will prohibit Corporate officer bonus' or other raises? Alot of US AIRWAYS workers would love to have had language prohibiting officer bonus' without triggering raises, benefits for the rank and file. Until unions create a new paradigm they will continual to get the heck beat out of them. GM and the auto workers will be next.

At any rate, I hate it for the UAL mechanics who wanted a union that had balls and swtiched to AMFA, only to have the opportunity to vote for this enema. What will be interesting is if the rank and file approves the very thing that seems contradictory to the words they have spoken.

Until working men and women stop a defeatest attitude they will continual to lose everything. One other thing, If I'm United and the mechanics roll over then I come back for more and 'get me som' mo.

regards,

Tim Nelson, Interim Director, Allied Ground Workers
[post="271089"][/post]​

Tim,

You do know that with the lifetime recall rights of the AMFA M&R at UAL that a card drive from another union is impossible.

Emil.Howes said:
Tim,

You do know that with the lifetime recall rights of the AMFA M&R at UAL that a card drive from another union is impossible.
[post="271690"][/post]​

Yes, in context. AMFA has insulated itself well with the lifetime recall rights. I was told that we would need a 85% signup of active workers.
However, UA is expected to reduce cost, reduce cost again and then merge which would possibly trigger an election for union. Therefore, even though the AGW is not likely to push for a union campaign against UA's company union, we have notified the 'key' workers who contacted us that we may want to build communication within the rank and file so that they will be educated on the AGW philosophy and how the AGW constitution differs from AMFA's which is less radical and more mainstream.

First and foremost, I would recommend AMFA members to recall Dell and all those who were associated with the newly signed enema, who did a terrible injustice to the UA members. The only thing that should be kept is the law firm which is the best. IMO Only in a last resort in which AMFA can't be fixed should the mechanics choose to get rid of AMFA.

regards,

Tim Nelson said:
Yes, in context. AMFA has insulated itself well with the lifetime recall rights. I was told that we would need a 85% signup of active workers.
However, UA is expected to reduce cost, reduce cost again and then merge which would possibly trigger an election for union. Therefore, even though the AGW is not likely to push for a union campaign against UA's company union, we have notified the 'key' workers who contacted us that we may want to build communication within the rank and file so that they will be educated on the AGW philosophy and how the AGW constitution differs from AMFA's which is less radical and more mainstream.

First and foremost, I would recommend AMFA members to recall Dell and all those who were associated with the newly signed enema, who did a terrible injustice to the UA members. The only thing that should be kept is the law firm which is the best. IMO Only in a last resort in which AMFA can't be fixed should the mechanics choose to get rid of AMFA.

regards,
[post="271751"][/post]​
Tim,

Are the people (key workers?) that you are speaking with one of US or one of THEM?

http://www.the-agw.org/Constitution.html
I have read your constitution and it is ‘less radical’ (is this a pro or a con?).

Reread your own post and your own constitution then explain to me how UAL AMFA is a company union.

The only thing that should be kept is the law firm which is the best.

Advertising? Sounds like you are a shill.......

Don't expect to see the Mechanics dumping AMFA. It's not perfect but it's defenitely the right direction and it's not entrenched and constrained with all the baggage that the IAM carried.

That's if there are any unions left at all by the time the current run of Republican overlordship is finally put to rest.

Good luck to all of us, whatever we choose to do.