An Amenity In Business Class?

Ukridge

Senior
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
On a more prosaic note I have seen that United's non-business partner British Airways is advertizing quite heavily around the Metropolis the introduction of 180 degree 'sleeper' seats in Business Class. Since I am not a denizen of the First Class but do frequent the Business Class I was wondering if United or the Star is planning a competative response. I have not had the travel department price out a ticket to the FC but this seems to be quite a push on BA's part. I realize the costs during the bankruptcy prohibit major changes but it certainly seems to have its merits. In fact, I wonder why there are not really only two classes on board. In my opinion, the idea of a sleeper seat obviates the need for a First Class on flights less than 10 hours. Is the revenue generated by an often half-filled First Class enough to offset a reconfigured cabin where the extra Business Class seats would be filled? In other words could not more revenue be generated with more BC seating than is actually filled from purchased tickets and not upgrades?
I cannot speak for all firms, but many of us may be allowed Business Class seating on a trans-atlantic flight but certainly not First unless we surrender our own FF miles.
On another note, I have read on the forums discussion of a major announcement concerning the Star in JFK. I do not frequent New York and am not familiar with United's operations there but I do know that Lufthansa operates many flights to this region. Is there something planned by LH? Be the "first" on the block to let us know!
Also, if a "transaction" occured, why would International flying be expanded out of Philadelphia and not Washington D.C. I have always thought that major world capitals linked together is the key. I would have believed the push would have been to connect these first. What is the International draw of Philadelphia over D.C.?
Cheers

Ukridge said:
I realize the costs during the bankruptcy prohibit major changes
That's an understatement. What about all the changes with painting the aircraft?? They must be getting those done for free huh? or is it the employees wages that are paying for it?

Borescope said:
That's an understatement. What about all the changes with painting the aircraft?? They must be getting those done for free huh? or is it the employees wages that are paying for it?
No No No...

Lets set the facts right, aircraft are regularly repainted. Someone from MX can back me up here, but I believe it is about every 5 years. If you have been out flying around you may notice some of our UA aircraft are looking pretty sad with chipped and missing paint.

Would you want to fly an airiline that looked like its aircraft were falling apart? A good image is important to let customers know we are a live and fighting!

Ukridge, I did read an internal newsletter from BA to their cabin crews, (given to me to read by a ski friend, a f/a for BA) that they only make money in FC to New York City and a couple of destinations in the Middle East from London. She also told me that she heard that they were not removing FC seats and doing a two class cabin because they didn't have the money now. I think that the publicity around their Club Class, (BC), is probably preparing for the day when FC is gone, since it will be difficult to keep aircraft with FC seats for specific routes because of scheduling constrains.

Thank you Albatroz. It seems that an all business class/economy configuration may be the future though your post well highlights the difficulty of the decision from a cost to retrofit vs. the revenue gained perspective. It will be interesting to watch.
Cheers