Any FA's taking the buyout?

UPNAWAY

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
DALLAS
There was an article saying over at AA the buyout was very popular. I haven't heard about it at all at US?
Are many people taking it and moving on, what is the general feeling about it?

From what I have heard over on the AA side is that many of US's super senior mamas at PHL or the commuters from PIT who have been around since god-knows-when have no interest in ever leaving because they are "triple dipping" -- old enough to collect their PBGC, Social Security, plus whatever their paycheck is.

Can't wait to fly with these old birds  :glare:

- astra

AdAstraPerAspera said:
From what I have heard over on the AA side is that many of US's super senior mamas at PHL or the commuters from PIT who have been around since god-knows-when have no interest in ever leaving because they are "triple dipping" -- old enough to collect their PBGC, Social Security, plus whatever their paycheck is.

Can't wait to fly with these old birds  :glare:

- astra

Not sure, but I don't think you can collect SS if you are earning over a certain amount in wages.  

I believe that once you reach full retirement age (generally between 65 and 67, depending on when you were born), then you're home free.   Earn as much as you want and still keep your social security check. 

I believe that once you reach full retirement age (generally between 65 and 67, depending on when you were born), then you're home free. Earn as much as you want and still keep your social security check.
Actually, if there is anyone out there who qualified for full SS at 65 who has not started drawing, they probably should go ahead and start drawing.

I'm a double-dipper. I draw my paycheck from AA and my full Social Security. FWAAA is correct. There is no earnings penalty once you reach the age to collect full SS. I had not intended to start until I actually retired, but when the GOP members of Congress started proposing means testing of SS recipients as a way to make SS sound (as opposed to raising taxes on the rich to what you and I pay), I decided to go ahead and start drawing when I became eligible for full SS. The politicians are good at cutting benefits for future recipients, but none of them have the guts to reduce benefits for people already drawing.

P.S. As I am still paying into SS through my AA earnings, my SS check has increased slightly each year to give me credit for the last year's contributions. It's neat. I don't even have to file for it. Along about December 1 each year I get a letter from the SSA showing the calculation of the benefit for the next year based upon the previous 12 months contributions.

(as opposed to raising taxes on the rich to what you and I pay),

You do realize you would be one of the rich taxed.

Forget taxing the rich they could confiscate all the rich's money and it doesn't even buy one qtr of a years worth of government spending. There is not enough rich people, don't  by the BS.

Does anyone know how many flight attendants are taking the buyout? I think the final date was a few days ago. (for the US FAs) Maybe their still counting?

Back