Any other objections?

AANOTOK

Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Let's change the rules to include more than nonstop flights.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/06/gao-the-american-airlines-us-airways-merger-will-reduce-competition-on-more-than-nonstop-routes.html/

their quick to question aa/us and their routes whether they should include more than nonstop but i sure do not recall them doing that to dl/nw wn/fl ua/co

Yes, they did. The GAO expressed concern over lack of competition in all those mergers.

Seems Mr. Maxon (the favorite mouthpiece of AMR management) just reads USA Today then expresses almost the same words as his opinion. The timestamp for the USA Today article is several hours before Mr. Maxon's blog post.

http://www.airlinefo...er-usaa-merger/
I disagree with jimntx completely. Lived in the area a lifetime and have read the DMN and Mr. Maxon's writings for years. He has been fair, straightforward and honest in his reporting and is well respected by the company, unions and readers who are interested in airlines. Not sure why you take issues with him.

To the argument. Jim, the question was did the GAO mouthpiece look at the lack of competition on other than "nonstop" routes when studying the other major mergers. Neither you are the article you posted showed any proof that in fact they did.

I agree, Terry Maxon is impartial. On the other hand, until recently, Mitchell Schnurman has been so far up AMR's a$$ that his articles reaked of partiality and other stuff. They had to be written by AMR's PR department. Lately, it seems the UCC has written Mitchell bigger checks than AMR. Although I'm sure his writing will change soon enough and the employees will become the bane of his existence again.

Mr. Maxon's blog could be construed to be copied almost in its entirety from the USA Today article which was published yesterday morning. Mr. Maxon blog has a time stamp of 5:31PM yesterday. He even "quotes" the same people that USA Today quoted. As far as other major mergers, they are done with and finished, that ship has sailed. What did nor did not happen with them has no bearing on this merger. I'm guessing the GAO may be getting pressure from Congressmen who saw fares go up to the beautiful city in the sticks where they live; so, whether or not connecting flight service was looked at in the other mergers, it's being looked at now.

Life ain't fair. There ain't no free lunch. And, nuthin is going to come in the mail.

Government deregulated the industry in 1978, and now that this ignorant move has reduced and ran out of business most competition, now the government wants more competitors. What a bunch of screwed up assnine idiots. What do they want? Deregulation, or Regulation? I doubt a hybrid form of industry that is deregulated in some instances, and attempts to socialize in other is ever going to work or be fair.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't disagree that he might have been influenced by the USA Today article, just that he seems to be very impartial. He is only running a blog. That's what they are for, to blog information as fast as possible. To get the info out.

Terry's one of the best airline reporters the industry has ever seen. His stuff on Braniff's collapse is legendary. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't read his work very consistently.

Between him and David Johnson at KRLD, you couldn't ask for better local reporting on airlines.

Reactions: 2 people
their quick to question aa/us and their routes whether they should include more than nonstop but i sure do not recall them doing that to dl/nw wn/fl ua/co

there is nothing different being done in this antitrust review than was done for any of the others. There were no shortage of people who were clamoring that competition would be eliminated and some of the strongest voices came from Congress... who ultimately don't make the decision about mergers in any industry, although they can make a whole lot of noise that companies can't ignore.

AA/US will happen.... the drama will die down and there will be plenty of the combined airline that the new mgmt can use to build a very strong airline.. just like what happened in the three other mergers that were noted.

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts