Anyone Do Interesting Contract Work Overseas?

HeavyD

Jul 18, 2004
Hey all u AME's, if you have been to some interesting places to work maybe you might like to share any good or bad experiences..I am curious to know where some people end up working and what it is like...thanx all. :)

This is just a shot in the dark but I would probably stay away from places like uhmm... say Iraq for example?!!

does it count if i was supposed to go but didn't???

I was all passported and ready to go to cambodia for UN work, but i think something else came up and i was off to northern alberta tree planting. I'm not sure which was worse since I missed cambodia.... :shock:

I worked in the Maldives about 5 years ago as a pilot/engineer. It was a pretty good gig but it's mostly what you make of it. If you are stuck in Male all the time it can get a bit boring but doing shutdowns out at the resorts when I was flying was pretty good...

I'm actually heading back there next week, but this time I'm leaving the toolbox at home and I'm just gonna break them.. So with me flying it should be a job creation project for the engineers.... :shock: :up:

Twotter,

Did you ever work with, beside, on top of, know slightly, or even throw wrenches at :shock: an engineer name Larry (last name escapes me right now)??? He worked in the maldives a number of years back and 5 years sounds like a very close time frame.
He was from alberta....I haven't seen him for years, don't know if he's gone back there or not.

Many years ago , I spent 5 months in the Congo (Zaiire)) & lived to tell about it. probably wouldn't go back now, but at the time it was quite the job!!!!!! Had 3 Aerospat gazelles to look after

Hey Magseal,
There was a Larry from Alberta who worked for Borek down there 5 years ago, didn't know the fellow too well, seemed like a bit of a loner but a nice enough guy.

Don't know whatever happened to him though..

Cheers

he ended up going back to his old employer in alberta who welcomed him back. I left the area soon after. I didn't know if he was planning on doing more with borek or not.

abc, was that when the gazelles had some "problems" with the locals and wasn't bob ough part of the crew that was there?? or was that bob mccord?? or both?? :huh:

I was told friday than on the following Monday,I was going to Kenya,arrived to find the machine in a box needing the 5000 hr inspection.that I was to do alone in the middle of nowhere..

there is a bright side to that story...half your work was already done for you :blink:

At least you didn't have to take it apart, inspect it, then put it back together... :up: I bet the boxes were all labeled nicely too, right??? :shock:

I should have said i was told on A friday..forgot the A...
I was told we were to ferry the ship across 2 countries as well,except we weren't told about a small CIVIL WAR in our destination.............

I did a 60 day stint in S. America a few years ago....working on two remote-sense Cheyenne's. 1 in Chile, and 1 in Bolivia. Was hotter than the Sun in Chile, 45C everyday....and the air too thin to breathe at 14,000 ft. in La Paz. I did enjoy the change in 'culture' tho. I got to be able to order beer in spanish even while really drunk....and anyone who tells you South American women are beautiful........well, he was NOT lying! All in all, pretty civilized down there...still a 3rd world country in Bolivia, but I felt quite safe there, but that could be as a result of hypoxia. Santiago, Chile is just another mega-city.....not much different from Vancouver or T.O. except the heat and everybody talked 'funny' BTW, even tho it sounds dumb, they will think you are an American unless you can prove otherwise.....so don't go down there without the "I am Canadian" t-shirts from your beer cases. Once they know you are indeed not a Gringo, they will be quite nice to you....but they still won't understand a single thing you say, nor you them....english is very un-common there. Local pilots can speak a bit, but not much. but over-all, I'd do it again in a minute....so..........? anybody have any work down there for a Bell medium AME? willing to travel...........lol