Apple Visionary Steve Jobs Dies At 56

xUT

Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
SanFranFreako, KommieFornia
Apple Visionary Steve Jobs Dies At 56

Jobs was just 21 when he co-founded Apple Computer in his garage in Cupertino, Calif., in 1976. The following year, when Jobs and his partner, Steve Wozniak, released the compact Apple II, most computers were big enough to fill a university basement or came from do-it-yourself kits for hobbyists with soldering irons.

In many ways Jobs was the poet of the computer world. He'd gone to India and become a Buddhist. He took LSD and believed it had opened his mind to new ways of thinking.

Rockrise believes Jobs touched pretty much anyone who has ever clicked a mouse, sent a photo over the Internet, published a book from a home computer or enjoyed portable music or a computer-animated movie.

Good Bye Dude!
You will be missed!
B) xUT

Reactions: 3 people
I can't stand apple products but the changes his company brought to personal.electronics was revolutionary. Its a shame he passed at such a young age.

On a some what humorous note. Someone else I know asked if would undergo a 'Itopsy'. I think even Steve would have smiled at that one.

RIP.

Reactions: 2 people
I can't stand apple products but the changes his company brought to personal.electronics was revolutionary. Its a shame he passed at such a young age.

On a some what humorous note. Someone else I know asked if would undergo a 'Itopsy'. I think even Steve would have smiled at that one.

RIP.
The only people I know that "can't stand Apple products" are the ones who never used one for more than a day. They are revolutionary thanks to Steve Jobs and his dedication to not releasing a product until it was problem free. (think windows ME)

He was also the driving force behind home publishing and animation.

He will be missed. I hope Apple can continue on, but I have my doubts.

May he be fondly remembered. He will by me.

Reactions: 1 person
I worked on them for 7 years.

My sister in law had one for 4 months and got rid of hers.

How many BSOD did you have?

How often did you have to upload critical patches?

How much did you pay for anti-virus applications on your Apple? ;)

Never.

Never counted and seeing as it did not affect my PC's performance one way or the other I really don't care.

No idea. I do not pay for much of the software I use. Most of my programs are freeware. I use Open Office for my office suite. I use Avast and Malwarebytes for security.

By beef with apple is two fold, cost and control. When I by something it is mine. I should be able to do with it what ever I want. Apple had to have a law suit filed against it to allow people to jail break the item with out violating a user agreement. When you buy a Iphone, can you change the battery? You cannot even look at it much less change it. Can you go on line and buy an extra hard drive or up grade your video card if you want to? I built my last desk top about 5 years ago. I have added ram, added a second hard drive, upgraded the video card. The whole system ran me about $500 or so. My mother board fried earlier this year so I dropped another $150 for a new board, CPU and ram. I can buy what ever monitor I want to run with my PC, I can over clock my CPU or video card. I like being able to build my own stuff. I get the components I want and I build it. If I read the apple site correctly their desk top starts at $1200. That's before you start messing with it. That to me is insane. I can build my system that suits my needs for half that price. I realize some of this stuff can be done with an apple. I never owned a apple so I never messed with them. I just worked on them.

I really do not get Apple users. Fine you like an Apple. Good for you. I don't. What's the big deal. Jobs, Wozniak, Jobs and Apple did great things for personal computers. The gave competition to MS and that is a good thing. It forced both companies to be on top of their game. Apple was and is a great company but it is not for me. I like to have more control over the stuff I buy.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, not sure I get all the public eulogizing for Jobs like he was the central inspiration figure in their life. I like my iPad and iPhone, but have no interest in a Mac. Used them when they first came out in the 80's at my first job, and loved their capabilities compared to PCs at the time, but the proprietary nature of everything is what pushed me over to the Windoze camp.

Apple didn't invent laser printing, portable media players, or the ethernet.

Yeah, not sure I get all the public eulogizing for Jobs like he was the central inspiration figure in their life. I like my iPad and iPhone, but have no interest in a Mac. Used them when they first came out in the 80's at my first job, and loved their capabilities compared to PCs at the time, but the proprietary nature of everything is what pushed me over to the Windoze camp.

Apple didn't invent laser printing, portable media players, or the ethernet.

In a way they did. They spent some time as summer interns at PARC where what eventually become the Mac was sitting on a desk in 1974. The Apple Lisa and Xerox 8000 Professional Workstation were identical. Identical to the point od Xerox suing Apple for $30 Million Dollars.

While at PARC Jobs rubbed elbows with the scientists that were hired to as Xerox put it "Design The Future" Bob Metcalfe hold the patent for ethernet which Xerox licensed to everyone and it became dominant. Warnock from Adobe was there and created Postscript which fueld Apple's growth in Graphic Arts. Xerox saw all of this and had no idea how to put it together because unlike copiers they couldn't charge a meter click and Steve Jobs saw the PARC vision and brought it to life.

He wasn't a visionary so much as a revolutionary IMO. Yes he took his vision and married it to the technology in unique and different ways and gained a competitive advantage. OTOH hand Bill Gates was a marketeer and tech geek who took mediocre technology and softwars and marketed it extremely well. Remember it only took Microsoft 12 Years to build a Mac.

Never was an Apple fan-boy but, Steve Jobs was an impressive person, who knew how to run a company and knew a little something about innovation. To which I honestly believe we owe him a huge amount of gratitude for pushing that innovation and making others do the same.

If you've never seen it, there's a movies called, "Pirates of Silicon Valley", long before Johnny Depps role, that gives an insight into what Jobs and Gates did to get the Home PC-thing rolling !

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/

On a somewhat lighter note. Headline from the Onion

"Last American who knew what the &%*# he was doing dies."

On a somewhat lighter note. Headline from the Onion

"Last American who knew what the &%*# he was doing dies."

For all of the Great humor The Onion provides I think the saddest part of their headline is that it is probably for more accurate then anyone is willing to concede.

For all of the Great humor The Onion provides I think the saddest part of their headline is that it is probably for more accurate then anyone is willing to concede.

While it might seem to have a ring of truth to it I try to remind myself this country has gone through much worse and come out okay. And there will be other visionaries like Steve Job's who will take his place.

Latest posts